1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

Get on the 'bay and look at the Chinese pens. They are cheap (about 5 bucks) enough to at least have a play, and some of the designs are a laugh. I am actually using a Jinhao X750 M at the moment (in matte black) with J Herbin Eclat de Saphir ink and it writes surprisingly well for a cheap-as pen.

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

There are a few places that ship internationally.

3. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Just inked up with that Take-Sumi Bamboo Charcoal Black and..WOW is that a deep black or what?? I LOVE it....so smooth!

C.Boland93 and Russ Prechtl like this.
  4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Anyone else looking forward to the TWSBI Mini Vac? I am interested in the regular Mini, but am waiting for the Mini Vac.

5. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

The regular Mini is a nice pen. It is one of the more comfortable ones I have for extended writing sessions. I am still on the fence about the vac models - I haven't decided if I am interested in the filling system.

6. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Have you had any cracking or signs of cracking with the Mini?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

I have a 580 and I managed to crack the thread on the inside of the cap - under the metal band - the day I got it. I'm not going to fault the pen for that though, I knew I was over-tightening it because I was flying out that day and didn't want ink on the suit...

8. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

No, I haven't.

9. Plan Bee

Plan Bee Empty Pockets

Don't worry about TWSBI - the cracking was a minor issue a long time ago. I have a 540 and a Mini and they are both fine. In fact the mini has become my primary pen, replacing a Pelikan 200 and a MB 149. I love the mini because it fits anywhere and is very comfortable to write with and is classy enough to look good anywhere and not be heart wrenching if lost.

10. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

I love fountain pens, my wife even bought me a lovely Waterman pen (haven't a pic yet), but being left-handed I find I do drag my hand across what I've just written so don't use it much.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

You can get oblique nibs designed for left-handed folks, on certain fountain pen models.

12. Lee Bradbury

Lee Bradbury Loaded Pockets

Monocrom - Yeah, I used to use them at school in the 70's/80's but still dragged the old hand through the ink. I can use them but only for signing things and short amounts of writing.

13. O.J.

O.J. Loaded Pockets

My new liliput, very impressed with it!

[​IMG]

ArnieJB and Minibear453 like this.
  14. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

That's pretty cool!

O.J. likes this.
  15. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Last year during the Holiday season, Staples had Cross fountain pen gift sets on sale for $20. Normally priced at $50. You got the pen as well as several refills of different sorts. I got two sets. One with a medium nib and like 6 refills. The 2nd set had like 4 3 refills and came with both a medium and a fine nib. The medium is slightly too thick for my taste and the fine is slightly too thin. With either nib though, they write really well for me. I don't have a pic at the moment, but one has garnished a lot of compliments from other people. It has a nice blue color.

16. Redleg

Redleg Loaded Pockets

As a side-writing lefty, I know what you mean. I've founfd that if I use a Fine or Extra-fine nib and a quick drying ink, I don't get the smearing after my hand goes across the paper. I'm currently using a TWSBI 580 with an EF nib and I have'nt had any smearing.

17. plausiblydeniable

plausiblydeniable Empty Pockets

A TWSBI Mini is my EDC pen, always have one in a pocket or clipped to my shirt somewhere. I've been using fountain pens almost exclusively for the last couple of years and have found I no longer get pains in my hand that I used to get from ballpoints, the relaxed grip you need with a fountain pen lets you write comfortably for extended periods.

I've usually got three or four pens inked up with me at work, currently there's a Pilot Falcon, Pelikan M600, a vintage Watermans and a vintage Mabie Todd Blackbird, the latter two both having nice semi-flex nibs.

My handwriting isn't pretty but it's got a whole lot better since I started with fountain pens. I'm right handed but always wrote with my left hand for some reason, so from the age of about 14 I taught myself to write with my right. Now my right is better than my left for writing, but I still can't draw with my right.

18. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I gifted two of these set as Christmas presents this past year.

WillAdams likes this.
  19. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I am going to need one of those Kaweco Liliputs in Black!

O.J. likes this.
  20. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Kaweco Liliput....ordered. As well as a Pilot VP Black Carbonesque body to go with my extra VP nib.

O.J. and Stonerman33 like this.