1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

Mont Blanc 149
    [​IMG]

Soup and BklynBoy like this.
  2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Sexy...

I WILL own a 146 or 149 someday...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

3. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

Great article from another board with pics. My 149, or Diplomat, fits my hands well. I feel that is the main decision when getting into a fine instrument. What fits YOUR hand best.
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/69945-mont-blanc-149-vs-mont-blanc-146/

I had an original 149 that was older than I am. SOmehow over the years it dissapeared ... There was a suspect, but hey, maybe they are enjoying it now without me in their life.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

I have a friend who works in a fountain pen store. She says Mont Blancs don't write any better than pens that cost a fifth as much, they're just Mercedes with pocket clips. They're for showing off how rich you are.

I'll keep my Pilots. They write like a dream and the most expensive one cost less than $200. However, if I won the lottery, I would buy a Mont Blanc with a diamond in the cap, just because I could.

5. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

My feeling on the whole thing is this, when I make a purchase, I like to think of it as an INVESTMENT. I have owned many pens over the years and noticed that none of them really held any value. That is with the exception of Mont Blanc, and a few other big name brand pens. They just hold their value. I like that, knowing that I can turn over a pen for the same if not more than I paid for one.

I do not like to spend or purchase. I like to invest. If you look at all of the spending you do and try to assess what the value will be in the future, then that is a smart purchase if the track is an increase in value over time. Getting what you want at a great deal helps also. I got a good portion of my pen collection at cost or lower through various employee incentive programs. This 149 is the only pen I ever picked up at retail, just so I could get the nib I wanted.

Didn't mean to preach, just my take on my experience over my lifetime. Got tired of wasting money and decided to do it right the first time from that point in my life on. Rather spend more to ensure the value or that I do not need to purchase the same thing multiple times.

I do agree though. The nibs are so similar on most pens that the differences are so minute. Ultimately it is up to the end user to make the decision on the pen that they want to carry.

I was not happy when I lost my Mont Blanc Boheme Citrine pen - was my fav out of my collection.
    [​IMG]

6. Tony D.

Tony D. Loaded Pockets

Parker IM has been fine for me. Its a pleasure to write with.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

Why should I buy a luxury item just because other people will want one in the future? It's a luxury item; what matters is that *I* enjoy it *now*. If it happens to have resale value ten years from now, that's great, but I probably won't sell it anyway, because I bought something I really like in the first place.

8. Electronic Squid

Electronic Squid Empty Pockets

As I've said before, I can't have nice fountain pens because I'll just lose them. No resale value on something that you've lost.

9. Theron

Theron Loaded Pockets

Do the Pilot Plumix models seem satisfactory? A minor investment to see how I like fountain pens.

Minibear453 likes this.
  10. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

If you are just starting out, I'd buy a pilot varsity just because it's so dang cheap. It came out to like $1.50 for me. It writes pretty well for the price, and after I was done with mine, I just ground it down to an italic tip. I've never heard of the plumix, but it seems decent. I just checked up on the plumix, and it seems as though it comes with an italic tip... for a beginner, you probably should go with the normal tip, since an italic requires you to maintain a constant side-side angle with the paper.

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got a Plumix and a Penmanship in the mail. I've been using a Safari with an italic nib and thought I'd get the Plumix so that I can swap its italic nib onto my Metropolitan to see if I like it. I threw the Penmanship on the order just to get free shipping and to satiate my curiosity about how fine a line a japanese EF nib really makes.

I'm still not sold on fountain pens, but I'm having fun playing with them and I'll probably find a place in my routine for them. If I ever spend as much on fountain pens as I have on drafting pencils or flashlights, then I'll admit I have a problem...

--flatline

surefire7 likes this.
  12. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Off topic, but where did you get your pill fobs? Specifically the smaller brass one and larger knurled brass one. Nice pen also! My dad has a Mont Blanc that I'll steal on occasion to write with. Beautiful instruments.

13. sol92258

sol92258 Loaded Pockets

The Plumix was my first FP a few years ago, lead to me getting a Pilot Knight and multiple boxes of Pilot Varsity pens.
    I actually have two Plumixes, one of them writes very smooth, the other can be finicky. But I enjoy them a lot, always write my birthday cards, thank you notes, etc, with them, but because of the extra "flair" they can produce :smile_coffee:

Too many other responses for me to get caught up on, but to comment on aforementioned concerns of bad penmanship and using FP's, I have to say: I've not the best hand-writing either, but starting to use fountain pens caused me to slow down, learning how to use them, and my penmanship improved quite a bit. Especially when using an FP, but even with other pens (except when I'm having to scrawl something in a hurry...then I just have to hope I can decipher my scratches later. Thank goodness for Evernote)

14. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

love them, for long years i did not use a ballpoint.

15. Letrow

Letrow Loaded Pockets

I love fountain pens. Used to write a lot when I was studying, but now at work with the computer use them a lot less. Still, my favourite is an old ST Dupont that I've had for thirty years. Very smooth writing and fast. It is being repaired right now (small leakage), so in the meantime I have bought a Platinum 3776 SAI (a demonstrator model of the regular 3776) with F nib.
    So far I am not disappointed. Writing is very smooth, good inkflow and the pen itself, although clearly plastic, looks good.

16. Electronic Squid

Electronic Squid Empty Pockets

The extra fine nib on the Penmanship does give you a very fine line. I've seen some complaints that it can be scratchy. I think this can be true when you first get it and it may take a page or two to break in.

17. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I just got mine yesterday. It makes a surprisingly narrow line that is actually finer than the .38 ultra micro uni-ball clickies I have. I don't like the uni-balls because they're too scratchy. The Penmanship is scratchy, but no worse and I'm optimistic that it'll get better with time or with a better lubricating ink than the default Pilot Black that came with it.

Here's hoping!

--flatline

18. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

The Small brass one is a Countycomm.com Peanut lighter. Remove the lighter insert and you have a pill fob. (The other one I have is Titanium, cc's website has other metals also, SS, Cu, and then the half sized version they call split pea.)

Larger one is actually an Anodized Aluminum one from CVS. I have not been able to find the color ones in stores for a couple years now. All I find are the Polished Al, or the Polished knurled Al versions.

If you want one of them, I have 40 or so siting around. I ordered a couple boxes thinking I would get the color assortment packs, nope, got all the polished and knurled versions.

I have been looking for the same exact version in brass to no avail.

There is a seller on ebay showing the same stuff I have, even the same color. - search criteria is ->
    I was scolded for my linking so I have to dumb it down for this board. Sorry.

Here is the updated PIC -> http://edcforums.com/threads/how-about-an-edc-picture-thread-vol-11.109885/page-151#post-1673102

---On topic though, what nib sizes does everyone prefer.? ----

Last edited by skygear, Aug 2, 2013
    bcWRX-02 likes this.
  19. FLWoodsman

FLWoodsman Loaded Pockets

Love 'em! I always have, and always will. Penmanship is a fast dying art, but not in my household ;).
    The kiddies will learn proper handwriting whether the schools want to teach it to them or not.

surefire7 likes this.
  20. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

After using my old school pen (schaeffer) for a time I have decided that I like fountain pens. I searched out and bought a papermate from the 80's New in the box, takes cartridges and bulk ink. Very smooth and at my level of experience its great. Thanks mooshi.