1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Ok thanks i might get it. I just feel bad that I have to take the one I've had since I was a kid out of commission.

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I might add, since it's a tactical pen, it isn't exceptionally comfortable for extended use. I've held worse, but if I'm taking 2 pages of notes in a meeting, this is generally NOT the pen I'm going to reach for. YMMV

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

3. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

Good point i was reading it is very heavy. But it would be for quick things i do during the day like work orders or short reports that i want to look good. Extended writing I have my other pens for that :p

4. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Being that it's aluminum, it's probably not as heavy as you might suspect, but it's no bic stic either.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Warfusion likes this.
  5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

That depends entirely on the kind of ink you use. The kinds that are more prone to bleeding when used on cheap paper will also dry faster, so if you can restrict yourself to using printer paper or better, a fast-drying ink should work just fine even left-handed.

As far as fountain pens being old-fashioned, I suppose they are old-fashioned in the sense that they were invented first, but the technology has advanced steadily since then. Nobody uses feather quills anymore unless that happens to be their fetish. For my part, I like the fact that fountain pens are completely reusable, and the glass bottle the ink comes in is recyclable -- there is literally no waste when using a fountain pen, assuming you avoid single-use cartridges. Also, assuming the nib is made of steel or is plated with something hard like rhodium, even the one part in the whole pen that's exposed to abrasion will essentially never wear out. Admittedly I've never had the BB in the tip of a ballpoint wear out either, but then again, I've never had a ballpoint that didn't dry out before I used all the ink, to say nothing of being nice enough to pass on to my descendants.

CitizenSnips and mooshi like this.
  6. nargalzius

nargalzius Loaded Pockets

I personally like the idea of using/owning fountain pens. The trouble is they seem to need a bit of maintaining - and I don't have patience for cleaning and whatnot.

Of course I may just be ignorant about the "maintenance" aspect and perhaps fountain pens are now very durable and don't ever dry up - in that case I will consider using one - since I cannot deny that writing with one does add visual character and soul to whatever it is you're writing.

7. UnlikelyEngineer

UnlikelyEngineer Loaded Pockets

Just thought I'd leave this here. Bought a cheapie fountain pen just to try. I realize it's not the real deal, but it was a good first step :) . The pen is a Pilot Varsity. Even though it's cheap, I couldn't help but feel extra classy! ;)

[​IMG]

Preon 2 and Leek wanted to play as well:

[​IMG]

And to top it off, I accidentally created this masterpiece!

[​IMG]

persco, Sarky and Gambit88 like this.
  8. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Good Lord, you have amazing writing! :D Very pretty.

The Pilot Varsity is a great pen. :) Don't forget that with minimal work, you could refill it with your FP ink of choice. :D I do like the new design on the barrel - definitely looks classier than how they did before. The cap could use some work, though. :p

UnlikelyEngineer likes this.
  9. UnlikelyEngineer

UnlikelyEngineer Loaded Pockets

Why thank you! I must admit that I usually don't use quite as much flourish though; the fountain pen just got to me! It means a lot that a pen aficionado like yourself likes my writing :oops:

And the cap is absolute garbage! I have never seen such a horrible attempt at a pocket clip. It's more like a pocket hanger! Zero retention! But no biggie; I will invest money in a nicer pen soon enough. You guys are a horrible influence... :help:

10. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

I was recently given an old Parker FP, used but in nice condition. I'm told it was bought in the early 60s. It has a fine nib and while I would prefer a medium for the broader line this one writes nicely and doesn't need to be broken in at all. I'll try to snap a picture tomorrow.

mooshi likes this.
  11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

UE... dat X :O

12. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

It really does look great. I'd been looking over the first picture and dang! haha I wish I could write that nicely - I habitually just write in all caps.

:D I look forward to seeing what pen(s) you end up picking up. :D And then the inks... and then the paper/notebooks... :rolleyes: It's quite a journey.

13. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

A few pictures of my Parker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oaklington and mooshi like this.
  14. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

Now that's cool, I've never seen a clicky fountain pen before! :cool:

15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

This one is a capped pen, but the pilot vanishing point is a clicky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

16. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

Aha, thanks!

17. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I sometimes use a quill pen large enough to intimidate other men. ;)

[​IMG]

nargalzius and mooshi like this.
  18. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Pheasant feather quill pen. Cool. Only problem with feathers is having to sharpen them regularly. Unless you put an adapter and use a nib.

Sent from......

19. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

Quick question. Are the Kaweco Ice Sports picky on how much ink you keep in them when you convert them to eye dropper fill? Mine has started to flow more ink than usual lately. If so, I better order more Dragon Napalm. That stuff looks like merthiolate. Who remembers that?

Sent from......

20. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

I bought a pack of calligraphy nibs and just epoxy them on. Quill pens are not my go-to pens by any stretch, but they work fine and are fun to use now and again.

:D

mooshi likes this.