1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

2. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

If the section is the part that is the deepest inside the barrel it doesnt seem like it would come out. I took off the nib and the feed which leaves me with 3 parts (barrel, cap, and nib/feed.) looking into the barrel with a flashlight (streamlight sylus pro) i can see what looks to me like the section, with 2 sacs inside? it is hard to tell and it would be hard to take a picture. Do i have to use the lever to take it apart?

3. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

No! don't mess with the lever! :)

The section (the place where your fingers sit when you write) is usually pressure fit (or maybe a little shellac) into the barrel of the pen. You might need a little heat to remove it.. But and this is a big but, if you are not comfortable taking it apart, let a pro do it.. It won't cost much..

You will likely spend $25 or so having the sac replaced.

4. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

Looks like I will be abandoning this project, I don't have the money to mess with it.

5. Zargon

Zargon Loaded Pockets

You could alwase send it to me :D

The frog approves ;)

6. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

Bummer :(((. I hope you are not dissuaded by this experience. Keep the pen and if you ever get a chance to have it restored you'll find that esties are some of the most reliable and bulletproof vintage pens. The interchangeable nib system is also a plus as there a literally dozens of nibs to suit your personal preferences.

7. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

I've been seriously obsessing about Nakaya pens lately. I thought the titanium-loving EDC crowd might appreciate this. It's priced astronomically high but I still love it...Titanium Nakaya Piccolo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

surefire7 and CitizenSnips like this.
  8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera Loaded Pockets

Now THAT is a postcard! Can I have one? :D

surefire7 and indigo like this.
  9. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I made the mistake of reading this thread several times. I had no intention of ever buying another fountain pen. I think my current count is around 15. I have been spending time on my cursive writing which is clearly legible for the first time in my life, and have also been dabbling in italic printing and messing around with a little bit of calligraphy. I realized after I got starting with the writing practice that I don't actually have to write anything anymore, so any handwriting I do is by choice. I have materials on handwriting and how to improve it, I enjoy having some time to just turn my mind off and do the practice drills, and I am enjoying the results. I also enjoy being able to sent legible handwritten notes to various members of my family. My mom has been showing off hers to my brothers and sisters. It's kind of embarrassing, but I'm glad it makes her happy.

BTW, for the person who asked where to get bottle ink, you can check at Staples if you have one locally. The Staples stores around here carry Parker Quink. It can be a bit hard to spot, though, and I've only ever seen it in black. We are fortunate enough to have a pen store near where I work and I get some ink there, and I also order online from Goulet, among other sites.

surefire7, mooshi and Mighty Max like this.
  10. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

The machining on that is exquisite. What's the fill mechanism?

11. thaeffman

thaeffman Loaded Pockets

Cartridge converter if I'm not mistaken.

12. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

At a $1000 USD you'd hope the machining would be perfect... As to the fill mechanism, I believe thaeffman is right, but I'm not positive. Nakaya uses Platinum pens technology.

13. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

14. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

15. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

How are the reviews LOL I was thinking about keeping in in my bag to replace an old one I have that tends to leak now.

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

haha Hopefully someone can chime in - I've never used one. :)

17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I actually bought one myself, really just for the novelty of a tactical fountain pen. I had pretty low expectations for it really, but I was pleasantly surprised. I got the bronzish anodized variant, and I scored it a few weeks ago via amazon for under $30.

Someone at schrade did a little research rather than push out a half cooked idea. Its obviously not quite as nice as some of my higher end pens, but I'd never run my vanishing point over and expect it to still function, I'm confident that this would work just fine. The nib is decent, I'd say its a fine/medium. I've heard that a converter won't fit inside, but haven't made any attempts myself as I have a decent supply of international sized cartridges. Haven't tried the regular refill on it, but I'd guess you could swap in a fair amount of similarly sized cartridges if you wanted to fiddle a bit, perhaps even a fisher with a parker adapter.

The clip is quite stiff, no fears of it coming off my pants pocket unless it takes fabric with it. I kinda wanted a cheaper FP for pants pocket duty... None of my other fps get such harsh treatment. I also think the anodization is schrade's type 3 anodization, so it should hold up pretty well to moderate abuse.

Just checked my amazon, $24.90 with free shipping.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Warfusion likes this.
  18. Warfusion
    • In Omnia Paratus

Warfusion Loaded Pockets

So would you say yay or nay?

Sent from my Android toothbrush!

19. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

While I can definitely appreciate the allure of old-fashioned gear, I don't use fountain pens, since they tend to smear if you write left-handed.

I had a calligraphy class in gradeschool, and I always hated the necessity of writing sideways to avoid smearing the ink.

I do, however, use a Rapidiograph technical pen for certain things where smearing is not a real issue. It's not what most people would think of when you say fountain pen, but it's got a lot of similarities.

mooshi likes this.
  20. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

$25 doesn't get you too far in the fountain pen world... Won't even buy a lamy safari. I'd say go for it. If the fountain pen isn't your thing, you can take it off and use the ballpoint/rollerball variation. The tactical variants of those usually aren't any less than $25 either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2