1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

I had no idea Michaels carried wax seals. I'm going to have to investigate! I was looking at the ones on Nostalgic impressions. They have lots of cool ones!

2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Yep! IIRC, they're about $5.00 (much cheaper with the weekly coupons). They have initials, hearts, roses, that thing that looks like the Boy Scout thing (I can't remember the name)... it's in the wedding section. ;)

They have both the wax seal sticks with the wick (pack of 4) and the glue gun type (pack of 9). I like the wax ones best. :) Even if sometimes I fail and get it sooty. hahaha :p I'll probably be buying from Goulet's when I run out. But for a small hobby that isn't too serious, the Michaels one works perfectly fine. :D

Wojo likes this.
  3. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Hmm, I can't find anything on their website. I shall have to stop by the store later.

mooshisho likes this.
  4. Blak Smyth

Blak Smyth Loaded Pockets

I ordered some ink from The Goulet Pen company and I was extremely impressed with their speed of delivery and they hand wrote a nice letter on the invoice. I was very impressed that they would take the time to do this and I will use them for amost of my FP needs from now on. These small details are missing from most businesses these days and I really appreciated seeing this:
    [​IMG]

defjus, MichiganMan, Gambit88 and 2 others like this.
  5. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I have thought about lefty nibs and better ink, but as I manage to make a mess with whatever I use to some extent, I'm better off with the safer options. Also, this would obviously lead to yet another thing I would need to obsess about, collect and hunt down on the interwebz :frantic:

mooshisho, Gambit88 and persco like this.
  6. persco

persco Loaded Pockets

This is so me...

7. SharpStrings

SharpStrings Loaded Pockets

love the fact of how classy they are,but i write weirdly and smudge the ink :giggle: so a fisher space bullet pen or a parker jotter is what i go for!

8. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

If you're interested in wax seals, check out Atelier Gargoyle .. .Ward and Linnea make the nicest wax available.. They even add very nice, subtle scent to the mix so when you melt it, it smells nice.

Here is one of my wax seals, it's Winston Churchills Family Crest.

[​IMG]

Here is the seal itself..

[​IMG]

Here is a post card that Ward mailed to me, with one of his seals. :)

[​IMG]

persco and mooshisho like this.
  9. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Those are awesome! I've checked them out, they seem like a great company.

10. k.o.milo

k.o.milo Loaded Pockets

mooshisho likes this.
  11. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

I used to work for the company that made the Mont Blanc. I have a few laying around, but only one Meisterstuk. Gave to my wife since I'm
    a 10%er. Always inked myself up.

mooshisho and Kripto like this.
  12. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:3 I love their Noodler's exclusive colors, Legal Lapis being my favourite.

k.o.milo likes this.
  13. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

One of these days, I'll catalog my inks and publish the list.. I used to be a huge Noodlers fan and have a number of the rare inks Nathan Tardiff makes.. One of my favorites is the sepia he made for Jet Pens as well as the exclusives for FPN (Galileo and Van Gogh I think)

If you can find (like go to old stationery stores) / ebay etc.. Montblanc Racing Green, I HIGHLY recommend it.. It's a REALLY nice green.. I'm still upset that they discontinued it.. (more than when parker stopped making the Sapphire ink that people have been known to spend HUNDREDS of dollars for an old bottle of!)

k.o.milo and mooshisho like this.
  14. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Put in my first ink order with The Goulet Pen Company!!
    I ordered:
    1) Pen Cleaning Package Set (pen flush sample, bulb syringe, 5ml syringe set)-Gotta keep my pen clean!
    2) Lamy Z24-otherwise how will I use all this wonderful ink?
    3) 3oz bottle of Noodlers Blue-Black-This looked like a good everyday ink for work, formal writing, etc. plus it is partially Bulletproof. I wasn't sure if I wanted this or the 54 Massachusetts but they were out of that one anyways. I'll grab some when it comes in, I love the history behind it and the meaning it has to the owner.
    4) Sample vial of Noodler's Burgundy-It just looked like a nice, dark red
    5) Sample vial of Noodler's Apache Sunset-Looks great, totally wanted to try it!
    6) Sample vial of Noodler's Dragon's Napalm-This also looks great and I couldn't decide between this one and the Apache Sunset, so I got both!
    7) Sample vials of both J. Herbin 1670 inks-I've heard great things of the red and wanted to check it out. I figured what the hey, get both.
    8) Sample vial of Pilot Iroshizuku Ama-iro (Sky Blue)-Holy Jesus. Have you seen this blue? It is BLUE. I'm SO excited to try it out, especially after hearing how AMAZING these inks are.

If I had more money to spend, I'd have gotten more of a variety of brands and colours, but I would say it is a good start!

k.o.milo and mooshisho like this.
  15. defjus

defjus Loaded Pockets

I just wanted to add that this is the norm for Goulet Pens. And I highly recommend them for everything fountain pen related.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

mooshisho likes this.
  16. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Whoohoo! :D Congrats on the first order. You'll definitely have some fun with that.

;) As for #2, you can always syringe fill empty cartridges (my preferred method, as mentioned a number of times prior).

O_O Noodler's Bay State Blue is a crazy eye piercing blue, if you haven't seen it (I mentioned that before too...). But it does have tendencies to stain, so I use it in a dedicated pen, only...

Syclone1436 likes this.
  17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I really like the 54th Massachusetts. It may just become my everyday "work friendly ink."

Apache sunset is a beautiful shading ink. Try it in a few different pens/nibs, as it comes out a little different from every pen. It really is a gorgeous ink.

Dragons napalm is definitely an attention getter. Bought myself a bottle of it a while back. Really fun ink for different purposes, but I found it to be a little to bright for extended use. If I took a few pages of notes in this, it might make my eyes bleed.

Haven't tried the others you've listed, but Nathan makes more fun and beautiful inks than I'll probably ever get the opportunity to try. Have fun with them and let us all know what you think!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

18. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

Mooshishio, stop trying to give me an excuse to NOT buy more stuff! Haha, I kid. I would just rather refill the converter than the empty cartridge is all. As for the Bay State Blue, I don't yet have enough pens to dedicate one to a specific ink!

I can't wait to see the Apache sunset. I don't have many pens to try it with (only two, and one is cheap Indian one) so I'm tempted to hold onto it, but I probably won't be able to resist.

As for Dragon's Napalm, I wouldn't use anything that bright for any extended writing. More for postcards, notes and the like.

I'll certainly let you all know what I think of all the goodies when I get them. I hope they don't take too long to get to Canada!

19. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

hehe :) All good. I was just teasing. :D

:) When I first started using BSB, I put it in the "disposable" Pilot Varsities. :D They come in packs of 3 for about $5 or $6. :) Not bad, but they only come in medium nibs, which wrote too wide for my liking.

20. Gambit88
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gambit88 Loaded Pockets

....you can refill those?

I may have more pens then I thought :p