1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:( There is no purple Safari. Wouldn't you think I'd have already own it? :p

mrlysle and KAMM like this.
  2. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

So you ARE getting the Pelikan soon?! :p I thought that you were just gonna add that to the neverending wishlist. :)

KAMM likes this.
  3. Arjosy

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

My handwriting is pretty bad too. But I do enjoy writing with fountains. So as long as you can read your writing, go for it. Life's too short to deny yourself something like a pen.

mooshisho and KAMM like this.
  4. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

YES! I hzve tried them and love them and hate them. Different pens write differently. Different inks write differently. You could hate a pen, throw in different ink and love it. Finding the right combo for you is like finding the right edc knife. :) Its gunna depend on budget, time situation, media written on, etc. It great when you get right (or even close) but it dies take some trial and error, me thinks.

mooshisho and KAMM like this.
  5. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

If and when! I saw the purple AL-star so I thought they had a purple Safari. Whoops!
    Sure am! Just didn't want to buy it at the shop. Ordering it online this weekend. It's one of the relatively "Cheaper" things on the wishlist so I figured why the heck not. I can swing Ramen for a week if need be!

mrlysle and mooshisho like this.
  6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Awesome! That one is still on my "eventually will think about
    getting" list. :) hope it turns out well for you!

mrlysle likes this.
  7. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

This man speaks the truth!

8. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

Thanks Moosh! And thanks again for recommending the Safari! It saw a lot of use this weekend while camping.

mooshisho likes this.
  9. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Monocrom's post pretty much sums up my thoughts on why FP's are not for everyone -- you need to commit to a spectacularly high level of geekiness to make it work every day. I have a tackle box full of tools and spare parts, an ultrasonic cleaner perched on a shelf in my office and probably 2 dozen bottles of ink (pens are fussy, they tend to prefer one ink over another). Once you crest the first few hurdles in the fairly steep learning curve you graduate to being the only dork in your sphere with those "funny old pens", it's very rewarding.

FWIW I can, given time, make even a $2 Platinum Preppy write smoothly and wetly enough to keep up with any scribe's output :), Preppy's are renowned for their ability to not dry up.

Gold nibs aren't particularly fragile, speed won't kill them, abrasive paper, flexing beyond their elastic limit or drops onto hard surfaces are definitely nib killers, and they're not fussy they'll take out steel nibs as well ;)

Pelikan does make great nibs, but there are plenty of other good makers out there as well -- I happen to prefer vintage stuff, modern nibs tend not to be terribly flexible and generally have ball-shaped tipping (both characteristics which make them excel at emulating a ball pen, yawn...) the older pens have fun stuff like flex nibs which allow you to vary line width with pressure or 'stub' profiles which allow you to vary line width with stroke direction (cross strokes are slim, down strokes thick).

My current favourite is a Pelikan 400nn, a nice medium sized pen from the 50s with a semi-flexible oblique 14k bold nib and my everyday beater is a battered black Rotring 600 gen 1 with a broad 14k nib, I have a soft spot for vacumatic 51s as well.

Cheers, Ted

mrlysle, KAMM and mooshisho like this.
  10. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

11. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ :p Too late. She's already been mesmerized by Goulet all day. hahahahah :bounce:

12. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Hahaha! Yah mooshis right! Been looking at that literally ALL DAY! Picking out sample vials. :D

13. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

Hate them.
    We were pretty much forced to use them in middle-school, and I have some traumatic memories associated with middle-school.
    In addition, I have a pretty weird grip, which tends to smudge everything that doesn't dry near-instantaneously. Not to mention the chicken-scratch I inherited from my father.
    So yeah, I suck at fountain pens.

mooshisho likes this.
  14. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I love them!

I have horrible handwriting even for a journalist, and a fountain pen is the only writing instrument I can write legibly with. I keep a nice Safari AL-star at my desk and a cheap plastic Rotring in my laptop bag (yes, it also contains old fashioned stationary). However, I do not dare to EDC good pens on person, as they always tend to get lost.

15. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

^ Mmhmm! Using a fountain pen makes you slow down and pay attention to your writing. I used to do the same, but after many years and only losing that one Vista at work (one of the cashiers took it while I was on break. :() I now rotate out my pens for carry, regardless of price. Before that, I would only take out the Preppy.

mrlysle and ketchupgun like this.
  16. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

Love 'em, but too fiddly for EDC.

17. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

That is true. It took me a while (with lots of practice with the Preppies) before I really started to use them exclusively. Then Chemistry notes got the best of me and I switched to the Bic 4-color clicky for a semester. Now I'm back to FPs for Criminal Justice notes. I'll still keep a BP or RB on my person though.

I remember reading about members on FPN carrying ink bottles and vials with them to refill at Uni. I couldn't ever do that. I'd much rather pop open a cartridge or just carry a second pen in my pencil pouch.

The good thing is that I write tiny and I use smaller nibs, which means that my ink lasts a lot longer. The pens I have also have larger cartridges (not those tiny international ones!).

mrlysle, KAMM and stax like this.
  18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

they don't carry well..

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Back in the day, I used to keep spare Schaeffer ink cartridges in the big cup-holder in my old ride.

mooshisho likes this.
  20. GRH

GRH Loaded Pockets

I love them, but they are not for EDC. At work, I use a Red Safari, but I always keep a Fisher in my pocket. I'm a teacher and I often have to write in bizarre circumstances.

mrlysle likes this.