1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain Pens! Love em' or hate em'?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by KAMM, Sep 2, 2012.

1. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Tried them and hate them? Never tried them but want to? Have a whole bunch cause your a collector *coughcoughmooshicoughcough*? Have some coming in the mail?

Share your stories, opinions and incite! I wanna know!!!!! You're probably a....."fountain" of knowledge. :D :D :giggle:

mrlysle likes this.
  2. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Hey Kamm

I love fountain pens, they're not for everyone, but they probably 'work' for a narrow segment of EDCers.

There are literally thousands of different pen choices, a couple of dozen different unique filling mechanisms, hundreds of different nib variations and an endless variety of inks which not only vary in colour but also 'wetness', opacity and in dozens of other subtle ways.

If you do a lot of writing, FPs are nice to work with, a well adjusted nib glides effortlessly across the page like no ball or fibre-tip pen can.

They're also useful for calligraphy if that's your cup of tea.

I personally just like to 'geek out' with them. They are nice to write with, I also really enjoy fiddling with and repairing them.

Richard Binder has some cool resources on his page:

http://www.richardspens.com/

He has a fairly comprehensive page describing all the common filling systems, he also has a visual glossary of pens and terminology.

Cheers, Ted

Tony D., adubbz, mooshi and 1 other person like this.
  3. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

^thank you for your input and link!!!!!

4. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I've tried one a couple of times, but never owned or really used one. Being a bit of a pen geek, I do find them tempting, but when I hear the ink sirens call, I look down at my notes to remind myself about my handwriting. I'm afraid I'd just make a horrible mess with a fountain pen.

(Still, some of them do look very nice...)

adubbz likes this.
  5. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I don't have the best penmanship. :D we'll see what happens! :D

adubbz likes this.
  6. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

I've used fountain pens a good bit, everything from $2 Sheaffer cartridge pens to antiques. My favorite is a Parker 51 with a extra fine nib, and I like to use blue-black ink. Overall, fountain pens take a bit of fussing over which can get tiresome; however, when you find the right pen, ink, and paper combo that suits you, they can be a joy to use.

mrlysle and mooshisho like this.
  7. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

They're the only pen fast enough for me to take notes in class! Love them.

mrlysle, mooshisho and KAMM like this.
  8. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I not only have horrible penmanship but I am left handed also. Something like a fountain own seems deliberately designed to ruin my day

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Uprightman, sveqs and KAMM like this.
  9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

I love fountain pens. I'm really into vintage sheaffers at the moment.

10. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

My penmanship is horrific too, but why does it mater how your writting is for a different writing instrument? The pen doesn' care. ;)

And I'm left handed too... Its no problem with a fast drying ink, or a fine nib(narrow pen tip) no worry of smudging your writing. Ieven have some wide nibs, and slow inks and don't smudge often with them. Its also a myth about leftys needing a special pen or nib... Thats for calligraphy pens where you drag in specific directions, not normal writing pens hat don't care what direction you pull.

I love fountain pens and have several. All of my writing at home is done with them, lists, journals, my novel, etc.

But it doesn't work for me for EDC. It seems they're always empty in the middle of something important. But, my biggest problem was sitting somewhere taking notes, and the nib drying with the cap off too long. Put the cap back on, right? But its a pain to cap on, cap off, cap on, cap off, cap on, cap off, cap on, cap off, cap on... etc.

G.

Tony D., mrlysle and KAMM like this.
  11. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

Reading this thread reminds me of a fountain type pen I had ages ago. It took them ink cartages, and had a ball point type tip that could we swapped over to a fountain pen nib.

KAMM likes this.
  12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Love them.

Unfortunately, as an amateur writer, story ideas flow far too quickly from my brain down to my hand for even the smoothest of Bold Point fountain pens to keep up. Since I prefer a gold nib for absolute smoothness, they tend to be delicate. Can't write too fast, or you risk damaging the nib. As far as rollerballs go, Pelikan is the only brand that knows how to make a proper one. Their pens tend to be a bit expensive. Though a Pelikan RB refill will fit inside a Waterman rollerball pen. (If you don't mind the tip sticking out a bit far forward.)

Usually I use a ballpoint with a Hauser-brand refill in it. (Currently the smoothest ballpoint ink out there in a Parker-style shaped refill.)

KAMM likes this.
  13. Merrib64

Merrib64 Loaded Pockets

I have been using Fountain Pens since grade school and I have never been far from them. I carry them daily
    and use them at every chance. They are not for everyone and they are not good for all occasions like signing thru
    multiple document copies at one time. But by and large I will continue to use them even though I am part of a shrinking
    community. Nuff said !

Tony D., mbick and KAMM like this.
  14. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I love writing with them, but don't really write enough to justify using one - I found it tending to dry out somewhat and be a lot harder to start inbetween uses unlike a rollerball which is 'instant-on' and always ready.

The other downside is really the risk of leaks and so on - stuck in a thigh pocket I am not sure whether it would survive, or leave me with a very inky leg, so tended not to carry it as much as I would a more bombproof rollerball or ballpoint.

It is worth noting the first fountain pen I got was a Waterman Kaltur (sp?) which I assumed would be a nice pen based on the Waterman name, but which actually writes poorly and scratchily. The Lamy Safari I picked up on a whim at one point though seems great and writes much more like I expect a nice pen should (though I will admit to lacking the finesse to tell the difference between a £15 Lamy and a £300 Mont Blanc).

KAMM likes this.
  15. Arjosy

Arjosy Loaded Pockets

I have several and use one every day. If you find them scratchy, might be that it's damaged, not broken in, poor quality, or in need of a good cleaning. Once you get use to one you like, use it every day and you'll find it becoming even smoother and that leaking is really only a risk if you're careless. Also, the Lamy Safari is a great choice. Inexpensive and great functionality. If you find you don't like the Safari, then fountain pens are probably just not your thing and your not out a lot of cash. Heck, people scoop up the used ones on eBay making the risk to your wallet even lower. But be careful, cause fountain pen collecting can be highly addictive.

KAMM likes this.
  16. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I almost never write in hand, only if i write down thoughts on my architectual sketches, i like using fointain pens for sketching, it almost feels if the pen is hovering over the paper, very smooth and nice..like if there where 0,05 mm air between pen and paper

KAMM likes this.
  17. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

Finally picked one up again! (It's been years since I've used one). I'm sure you've been talking to Moosh :p, she helped me out as well. Using a Lamy Safari till the Pelikan gets in. Time to start working on my handwriting again. :banghead:

mooshisho likes this.
  18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Hehe I'm planning of working on my penmanship when mooshis pens get here. Also gonna get a lamy safari. Just not sure which color. Hmmmmmmmm

mooshisho likes this.
  19. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Nah.
    Can't read my writing once the ink gets cold anyway.
    To me: much ado about diddly.
    Most expensive pen I've ever owned,period: Fisher Bullet Space Pen...and it was a gift.

Nah...no fountain pens.
    And no wristwatches.

Leaves more $ for knives / lights / ammo / useful gear.

JMO.

Crazy Canuck, mrlysle and KAMM like this.
  20. Rsxtacee

Rsxtacee Loaded Pockets

Purple Safari or Al-star gets my vote. :D

sveqs, sungame and KAMM like this.