1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

fountain pen vs fine tip pen self defense

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 7, 2014.

1. robo-rabbit

robo-rabbit Loaded Pockets

my first post here! anyways, I currently carry a custom zebra f701 with the 301 end cap, making it look all stainless steel. I tried the fisher refill, but found the mod unreliable (would get stuck every now and then) and the tip not as sharp as the original one.

this got me thinking. I've never owned a fountain pen before. how sharp are their tips? also, I could see them being more reliable with no moving parts. but they could be harder to open as well.

what would you rely on and why? (in general, not all pens are of equal quality or length) obviously this is just a last ditch tool, but thought it should be discussed.

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. MigratoryCoconut

MigratoryCoconut Empty Pockets

I'd say the nib on your average fountain pen is definitely fine enough to puncture with even moderate force, but it would most definitely ruin the pen. The geometry of the nib and spacing of the tines is actually a pretty delicate balance.

That said, it's not really the point of the pen that is the concern in terms of self defense anyway. The idea behind "tactical" pens is not to use them as stabbing weapons, but rather as pressure point/impact tools, or to assist with martial arts style holds (if you have no training in this it's irrelevant). Basically a nice hard object you can jab into a face or ribs or whatever the case may be, that will hurt considerably more than your bare hands.

Fountain pens are great in terms of the writing experience they offer, but I would never even consider using the tip of one in a self defense situation. If you want the best of both worlds, however, the Shcrade Tactical Fountain Pen is actually surprisingly good. Writes well (both the fountain pen nib and the rollerball it comes with), and is a big hefty pen body with a "glass breaker" point at the end, it makes a very solid kubaton. The cap screws on, so it's much slower to actually get open and writing with than any clicky pen would be, but that's the case with pretty much all fountain pens. If you've got $20 to drop on a pen, it's worth giving a try.

3. OreoGaborio

OreoGaborio Loaded Pockets

Ball point... They do it in the movies so it must be real.

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  4. robo-rabbit

Good points. I do have martial arts training, so I know the targets/pressure points. I think I'll stick with my Zebra though, I want more of a small impact tool to call on in a pinch than a true kubotan. Something small with the element of surprise, when I'm in a tight spot. Otherwise I should be okay without it.

5. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Bourne seemed to make a good job of using one for SD...

Again... looks like a ball point is the winner...

6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Kinda amused that no one has pointed to the Schrade Tactical Combo pen yet. A good chunk of Aluminium with a choice of ball point or fountain pen inserts (you get both) which would make a pretty nasty bruise/do some damage to a rib or joint/generally hurt like hell if you got jabbed with.

7. KB3UBW

KB3UBW Loaded Pockets

Check the third paragraph of the first reply...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. robo-rabbit

As a college student, I would prefer not to carry a tactical pen. In the rare case that I did have to use it on campus, my zebra would be overlooked while a true tactile pen will be used against me. I take my pen with me to campus, and we have a no weapon policy. Tactical = Weapon to many people.

9. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I use both fountain pens and ball point/roller ball pens. I don't think the type of pen has anything to do with its effectiveness in a self-defense situation because you will probably not be uncapping it - it will more likely be a "grab pen and strike" situation. It's the size and shape of the pen and how easy it is to access that are important. I prefer either the Retro 51 Tornado or the Monteverde Jewelria. The slight flare on the top of the pen, plus the fact that the clip location allows enough of the top of the pen to stick out that it is easy to get ahold of. I also prefer the flat top like both of these pens have because it gives a bit more surface to rest the thumb on when using an ice pick grip than a rounded or pointed top does.

One thing to bear in mind is that if you practice jabbing/poking/striking with a fountain pen that has ink in it, you will wind up with ink in the cap - the force of the movement can "throw" a tiny bit of ink out of the nib. That can be a real nuisance when you then uncap the pen to use it and wind up with ink on you hands or clothes. Because of that, I no longer carry a fountain pen as a self-defense device.

kertap75 likes this.