1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

The ink shows some nice shading, but I'll have to wait for daylight to get a better sense of the underlying hues.:)

A144 and Patrick87 like this.
  2. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I just got a bunch of Herbin cartridges in different colours for convenience. Liere Sauvage is my favorite. But lately its been Pilot inks favorite being Kon Peki.

3. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I just bit the bullet and bought some bottled ink. I had been using samples for the past couple years.

I bought a bottle of Noodler's Liberty Elysium and Private Reserve's American Blue (fast drying). I guess those will be my EDC inks for a while.

4. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I actually mixed Noodlers Blue and Noodlers Black and it made this green-like black ink with insane shading. Can't think of a name, but it was basically 3 parts noodlers black and 4 parts noodlers blue. Measured it in cartridge converters.

Ataki, QuodErat, A144 and 1 other person like this.
  5. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Black and Blue?? "Blended Bruising"?

Patrick87 likes this.
  6. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

Perhaps "GIMME YOUR LUNCH MONEY, NERD"

Patrick87 likes this.
  7. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

My first FP showed up, a TWSBI Eco with Med nib. Ordered a few ink samples as well as I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to a bottle yet. Inked it with Noodlers 54th Mass. I like it so far, still new to the FP world but seems fairly well behaved on most paper (bleeds a bit with the M nib on copy paper), but writes beautifully on Rhodia. Really nice steel blue/grey/black colour and a bit of shading with the med nib. I think I might be hooked on FPs!

Patrick87 likes this.
  8. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

If you experiment with blending inks, just remember:

1. Blend in small quantities, a couple mL's at a time in a sample vial.
    2. Let a sample sit for a couple days in the vial before inking it up. Not all bad mixes precipitate immediately.
    3. Start with blending inks from the "family." I don't like to say brand because some brands (Noodler's) have wide varieties of inks. For example, all R&K inks are safe to blend with themselves, with the exception of Sepia. Iroshizuku inks tend to play nice with each other, as do Diamine and the classic lines from Noodler's.
    4. Stay away from certain inks like Noodler's Baystate series (even trace amounts and cause precipitation in other ink). Don't blend different types of ink either (pigmented with dye based inks).
    5. If you really want to get in to, you can pick up the 4 basic blending colors (yellow, cyan, magenta, and black) and make any color you want out of these. I've seen on FPN where people are using Noodler's Navajo Turquoise, Shah's Rose, Yellow, and Bulletproof Black to do this.
    6. FPN has a forum dedicated to ink mixing, with some really beautiful (and proven) recipes.

I have only tried a couple, but one of my favorites has been the following:
    15 parts Noodler's Navajo Turquoise
    3 parts Noodler's 54th MA
    1 part Noodler's Old Manhattan Black (I used Bulletproof Black with similar, although slightly less shady results)

9. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Pics? ;)

Patrick87 likes this.
  10. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

CitizenSnips I don't have any pics from when I had some mixed up. I pretty much made enough for a full fill via syringe of a TWSBI 580. I can try to dig through my school notebooks later this week to find where I wrote with it and snap a pic

Patrick87 and CitizenSnips like this.
  11. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I just ordered a bottle of Diamine-Syrah. It is close to Oxblood. I like it a little more.

Patrick87 and A144 like this.