1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I don't know about them, but I have a sample of the Diamine Oxblood and I love it. I used it in my Pilot Prera F nib pen, and it was wonderful. Not too dry, and not too wet. It was perfect.

I tried out the Rhodia Webnotebook, and the Apica C.D. Premium Notebook this evening. I really like both. At this point, I don't know which I like the best. I like qualities from both. The C.D. Notebook paper was very smooth, and a joy to write on. I will know in time, after using them more, which I prefer. I will be trying out other notebooks in the future. I do like that 7mm line, it is perfect for note taking, for ME. It may be too narrow for others. I find it perfect. I like the orange Webnotebook very much too. I love the rounded edges, and the feel of the exterior. The marker is nice, but not necessary. I like both of these better than the Black N Red. I don't like spirals, even if it is a nice spiral. I do however like the perforated pages in the Black N Red. If I mess up a sheet, I can pull it out. In the other notebooks you are pretty much stuck with it. I prefer to write in the first two I mentioned though, so far. The C.D. Notebook lays completely flat, and I LOVE THAT. I hate having to smash down a notebook, so you aren't fighting that little hump in the middle. That bugs me. The Webnotebook has the elastic band, and I like that. I also like the emblem on the front of the cover. The Apica notebook cover looks very nice, and it looks like it is more historical, and less modern, in my opinion. I'm just mentioning this, in case someone is interested in either of these that I have tried.

Patrick87 likes this.
  2. Highbinder

Highbinder Loaded Pockets

kkay,

I'd recommend Rhodia. I love their paper! I use their A4 pads for university, and keep a pocket (A6) planner. I used to use CIAK journals, but the paper is too coarse and the faux-leather deteriorates within a few years. Also tried Moleskine but the paper quality was so inconsistent, and I hate the texture of their covers (especially compared to the velvety Rhodia)
    Plus Rhodia comes in orange :bounce:

Patrick87, Ben Rubinstein and kkay like this.
  3. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I put in the Diamine-Marine into my new pen today. I must say I am very pleased with the color, and the ink. It has a touch of shading, but not a lot. If it had more shading, it would be PERFECTION to me. The ink was a little on the wet side, but not too wet, nor too dry. It was perfect flow for me. I have not tried it on my Field Notes book yet. I used it on the Black N Red, Rhodia Webnotebook, and the Apica Premium C.D. notebook. I also used it on some printer paper too. It had no shading on the printer paper. It showed the most shading in the Apica. The Rhodia barely lost out to it. You can see it from the other side of the paper, but it isn't bad at all. If you use a broad pen though, it may seep into the other side. There were a few tiny spots, for me. But another wetter ink was worse for sure. I could see the writing from the other side easily, if you lift the page up. But if it was flat, it didn't distract too much.

Patrick87 and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  4. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

I got my long awaited Karas Kustoms Ink in blue with brass grip section F for Christmas. I'm using the black cartridges they sent with it. I don't think I like this ink. It's a bit watery.

Patrick87 and kkay like this.
  5. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

landwire J.Herbin PdL is in a Pilot CH91 Soft-FM. Apache Sunset is in a TWSBI 580Al B nib.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Loaded Pockets

Two inks currently for EDC:

- regular Platinum blue-black cartridge in a Preppy EF

- De Atramentis Johann Sebastian Bach in a Pilot Metropolitan F. This is my all-time favorite ink. I admit I was first drawn in by the name - a shameless marketing ploy - because Bach is my favorite composer. But the ink is truly fantastic. A dark blackish-burgundy, with great flow and dry times in a fine nib. I have left it in my Metro - refilling once - without emptying and cleaning the pen for several weeks, and I have zero issues with startup or staining. This is my "desert island" ink, so to speak. I don't think I'll ever let myself run out.

7. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

I really like the light blue shade of the 'Montblanc Leo Tolstoy' ink.
    At the moment this is the ink I am using daily.

Normally my 'go-to' inks are an assortment of blue inks, mostly royal blue ones.

kkay and Patrick87 like this.
  8. DuncMan

DuncMan Loaded Pockets

I use a Cross Century II.

Patrick87 likes this.
  9. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Update: Been experimenting with a number of different inks lately for all-around purposes. I generally write with a F or EF nib in most of my pens. Irrespective of color, one of the inks which seems to work very, very, well is Private Reserve inks. De Atramentis is another one.

Diamine seems way too watery, bleeds / feathers on many papers. Bleed is one thing, but feathering I can't stand, especially with an EF nib and small writing.

As for colors, the sky is the limit really, but I like greys, blues and greens (never red).

10. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I like Diamine ink. I have two. I think the paper makes a big difference. It shouldn't bleed on good paper.

Patrick87 and QuodErat like this.
  11. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Ive never had a problem with Diamine bleeding when I'm using Rhodia or Leuchtturn or Clairfontaine but most of my fountain inks bleed on my cheapy scrap notepads.

Patrick87 likes this.
  12. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Hence my reference to "all-around" inks. I don't think any pen will bleed or feather on Rhodia or Clairfontaine paper (have no experience..yet...with Leuchtturn).

I was just referring to inks which I can use at work where I might need to write on all sorts of paper, and often cheap copy paper.

kkay and Patrick87 like this.
  13. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

There's a few Diamine inks I can't get to feather or bleed on any reasonable paper (i.e. Not news print, etc). Red Dragon is one that works very well, even on the cheapest of copy paper they source at my work.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk

kkay, Replete and Patrick87 like this.
  14. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I think also, it will matter if you are using a Japanese F vs. a western Fine or above. The thicker the ink, the more chance it will bleed. Are you speaking of a true bleed through, or just seeing it if you lift the paper up, from the other side?

A144 and Patrick87 like this.
  15. simbad

simbad Loaded Pockets

Rotring 600, built like a tank, it takes a spare refill in the tube.
    [​IMG]

A144, Patrick87 and Replete like this.
  16. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Here's how I think of each of these things

Feathering/spread - the line becomes wider and doesn't have crisp edges. When it's bad, you can see small lines coming off the main ink line, they often look like feathers. This isn't very common with good, non absorbent paper and most inks.

Showthrough - You can see writing on the back of the page. Common with not FP friendly papers, and even some excellent, but thin papers like Tomoe River. Rarely a problem on Rhodia/Clairefontaine

Bleedthrough - The ink actually comes through the other side of the paper. Happens with cheaper paper. Tomoe River rarely bleeds through, despite how thin it is.

To clarify my above statement, the handful of very well behaved Diamine inks barely even feather on cheap paper.

simbad Love that Rotring! I've always liked the looks of their pencils/FPs and have though about picking up a 600 FP from the 'Bay on a couple occasions.

kkay, Ben Rubinstein and Patrick87 like this.
  17. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

In my bag, as bad as it is, I carry an international small cartridge inside of a Vacutainer (for those unaware, a vacutainer is one of those plastic vial things they put your blood into. We had a bunch sitting around, so I harvested them and use them for ink. I'm not a vampire, either)
    It fits my Kaweco, and in a jif, I just pop it on there. Still haven't used the Kaweco ink supplied by them, oddly.

Honestly, if you carry a fountain pen, and it takes a cartridge, carry one in your bag in a sealed container. Bottled ink is great and all, but god help you if you try to carry that without spilling.

Otherwise, next time you're giving blood or getting a blood test, just ask for a vacutainer or two. They're cheap as heck, but work great. some of the larger ones can hold a AAA battery or two.

A144, Patrick87 and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  18. Frankie Bones

Frankie Bones Loaded Pockets

Right now I have my TWSBI mini inked with Noodler's Dark Matter and my Lamy 2000 inked with Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo.

A144, kkay and Patrick87 like this.
  19. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I ordered some J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor, and Diamine Autumn Oak, plus some samples.

A144, Replete and Patrick87 like this.
  20. QuodErat

QuodErat EDC Junkie!!!

Just as an experiment, I mixed one part Noodler's Navy with two parts J. Herbin Pervenche. The result was a rich teal with a better dry time than the Noodler's alone. As a left-hander, this is a quality I can really appreciate. Due to limitations of equipment and technique, it took me a while to get this approximation of the color.

[​IMG]IMG_1736b by Quod Erat, on Flickr

A144 and Patrick87 like this.