1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TheMechanic

TheMechanic Loaded Pockets

Yup, but at an astounding 10k price point on the roller ball..... nah, I need a new car first.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Bowman1911 and Patrick87 like this.
  2. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

My go-to ink for a while is Diamine ASA Blue but also picked up a bottle of the Diamine Oxblood. The Oxblood is an awesome red that is dark rather then bright so when I use it with other inks on the same page it doesn't overpower the other inks. The second bottle I got was some J.Herbin Lie De The. I've been wanting to try some Noodler's Burma Road Brown but the shop I went to didn't carry Noodler so I grabbed the Herbin to try. This is my first brown ink and so far I'm really liking it. Comes out of my Metropolitan fine nib very smoothly and drys quickly. The color is hard to describe, not overly dark but not light either, imagine using a dip pen and coffee as the ink and I think you'd be pretty close.
    [​IMG]

3. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I've pretty much given up. Can't really afford more than the fuel to do my job.
    The Penatia I got writing again gets my fingers black. The Zebra is too finicky.
    Can't even order a cheap Chinese pen.
    Good thing I have a nice G2 refill holder!

Patrick87 likes this.
  4. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I generally use a Iroshizuki Kiri-Same. I like the looks it gets. Goes down black, but it's really a grey. Then people can't tell if it's blue or grey. I like classy "mysterious" inks. Not really into wild, vivid, colors (although I do like purple). NEVER red (see my other posts about the color red...BAD ju-ju) (even though red is my favorite color, but it will never fill any pen I ever own!!!). Some other colors I like are:

Private Reserve - Gray Flannel
    Noodler's - Lexington Grey
    De Atramentis - Fog Grey

No FP ink thread is complete without some notes about colors I DON'T like....

I love greens, but I don't like...

Noodler's - Army Green (looks like baby poop and goes down just as wet...nasty)

Don't like Diamine - Safari...goes down (soaking) wet no matter how fine a nib I use. Slow dry, no lik-ee!

I like all the Waterman inks (blue, green, purple, brown), but I've kind of graduated from these inks. They've never done me wrong, but they're solid colors, and I like the mystery of some of the more profound ink colors.

Probably one of the coolest ink colors I have is a Noodler's ink called "Rome Burning". I'm very selective with how I use it. It looks gold, but it's not. It looks green, but it's not. It looks like it has red, but it doesn't. It might be brown, but it isn't...and don't even call it "red" because it isn't (though, depending on the light, it might appear that way).

Ink is a magical thing really. When you write a page of notes in a meeting, and someone asks you afterwards..."what the heck kind of a pen are you writing with...I know it's a fountain pen, but WHAT is that ink????", and it makes me smile...inside. I have to write a lot of things that other people see. My employees all know about my pen / pencil "thing", but the people laterally and above me see some of the characters and drawings I write as an enigma...and that's just how I want it.

Much like EDC...the best thing you can do is "understated class". A simple line on a piece of bond can tell a story, 9/10th's of which is in an imagination.

Last edited by DCBman, Dec 12, 2015
  5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I got some J. Herbin 1670 Emeraude de Chivor ink. I still need to try it out. Perhaps I’ll get the TWSBI sooner than planned for that.
    But my main EDC ink is still Rohrer&Klinger Salix for official stuff. I have it in the TWSBI Micarta V2 (B nib), and in the Kaweco AL-Sport (F nib). Others used often are J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hématite in a TWSBI 580AL and at the moment Lamy Turquoise in a Lamy vista. When the Lamy cartridge is empty I’ll probably buy an additional converter for it and use some other of my inks with it. I have some other Lamy with other ink, too, but they’re not used that often, and other pens and inks that are used even less. Probably need to rotate some of them into use. :)

6. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

After losing my G2 Limited and very nearly losing my Advant capped rollerball I just don't think I am cut out for Fountain Pens. I couldn't really ask for anything better for MY needs in the G2 .7mm refill.

Patrick87 likes this.
  7. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

Great that the G2 works for you as well as it seems to. As for losing things (or worse having people "borrow" them (..permanently)), a fountain pen is like a knife; there's lots of cheap knives out there like the ones at a truck stop or walmart. A fella doesn't really care if he loses one of them, but if you buy a Benchmade or higher you tend to keep track of it better. My wife always says, "I really like that one knife you have which flips out easily and it's soooo sharp...(and then she SAWS through a whole bale of hay with it just to cut (4) strings)...where is that one???" I say, "Dunno, hon...here use this one! (the cheap Knife Show 6-pack special)" (wink)

Patrick87 likes this.
  8. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I think the G2 Limited was borrowed rather than flat out lost. I scoured my truck and found a few other pens I had forgotten about but the Limited wasn't one of them.

Patrick87 likes this.
  9. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

PBJS maybe you need a pen case? For the current time, I only use my fountain pens at home. I keep them on my computer desk, so I never lose them. If I used them at a work site, I would keep them in a pen case for sure. But I wouldn't take my best, nor all of them. Take the ones you won't worry as much about, if they were "picked up, and went missing". Maybe a Kaweco Ice Sport fountain pen would be more your style? You could put it in your POCKET.

QuodErat and Patrick87 like this.
  10. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Oddly enough I do have a "pen case" of a sort. I have color pens In it. But it mostly lays flat in my truck.

Patrick87 and QuodErat like this.
  11. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I have a few greens, both J. Herbin's. Vert Empire which I like and Vert Olive which I don't care for much as it is almost a bright yellow green and find it harder to read. I'd like to try Noodler's Army Green and Diamine's Green-Black but I'm on a brown kick right now and plan to order some Noodler's Burma Road Brown soon. I really enjoy the Diamine inks and find they write great out of Lamy extra fine and Pilot fine nibs, especially Rhodia and Leuchturm paper. They are a bit wet on some of my cheaper pads and tend to feather.

Patrick87 and A144 like this.
  12. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

rat-7 What browns are you using now/recommend? I'm not a huge fan of brown inks, but I keep trying to like them so I'm always looking for suggestions.

My experience is limited to Noodler's Kiowa Pecan, Walnut, Diamine Chocolate, and Iroshizuku Yama-guri.

Patrick87 likes this.
  13. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I need to make a correction to my post above about greens. It wasn't Noodler's Army green that I didn't like; I just realized it was actually Diamine Safari.

Maybe I got a bad batch, but it looked like I dipped my quill into a baby diaper after he'd been eating green beans for a week straight!

I tried to use up what I had in the pen (feels like sacrilege if I don't), but I couldn't do it; I wound up dumping it out.

Patrick87 and Ben Rubinstein like this.
  14. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a bottle of the J.Herbin "Lie De The" and using a Pilot Metro with a fine nib I really like it. I often write the minutes of my meetings in two or three different colors just to keep a separation in the notes and I really like the Lie De The as it is a great contrast to the other colors. Another one that I've been enjoying is the Diamine Oxblood. While technically a red ink it have a real "Dried Blood" brown quality to it that doesn't overpower the like most reds do for me. I'll be ordering a bottle of the Noddler's Burma Road Brown so with a Noddler Ahab pen to try it out in as well.

A144 and Patrick87 like this.
  15. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Rat, can you post a pic of some writing with Lie de The? Or at least some scribbling? I am pondering that color. I have been making a color list to consider.

A144, Ben Rubinstein and Patrick87 like this.
  16. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Most of my writing is work sensitive but just google "J. Herbin Lie De The Review" and you'll find a few good ones.

Patrick87 and A144 like this.
  17. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

rat-7 Thanks. I love Oxblood myself, it's a great color.

Here's what I've got inked now, except Iroshizuku Yama-guri.

[​IMG]

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk

18. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

That is okay, I mixed it up anyway. It was Diamine Eau de Nil. I have looked at so many colors lately, I'm about cross-eyed. I am working on inks to consider, and am trying to narrow it down. Lie de The was on my list, but I decided I like some others better.

Patrick87 likes this.
  19. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Well I got some really cool gifts this evening. I got an ink I really wanted, the Diamine-Marine. I cannot wait to try it out. Then I also got a pen roll, 2 Apica C.D. Premium Notebooks, and a Rhodia Webnotebook. I am very excited about these wonderful gifts. The paper is definitely quality looking to me. This ought to make the ink really look awesome. :D

Patrick87 likes this.
  20. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

What pen are you using for the J. Herbin and the Noodler?

Patrick87 and kkay like this.