1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. thebubblegoose

thebubblegoose Empty Pockets

I've been using Noodler's Dark Matter in a Pilot Metropolitan F, and Noodler's Liberty Elysium in an orange TWSBI 580AL F

2. Ralpg1969

Ralpg1969 Empty Pockets

I also like Noodlers 54th as my everyday ink but I always carry a small small Altoids tin with spare multi-colored ink cartridges as a backup just in case I run out.

3. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Sitting in a boring class right now... But I learned: Sailor Jentle Yama-dori + Pendleton Broad BLS in TWSBI 580Al+ Clairfontaine = awesome!

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk

4. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

I love yama-dori! It's so, I don't know, fast and slippery. Are you getting the red sheen?

A144 likes this.
  5. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I am using two. MB midnight blue and MB lavender purple. The midnight blue is in a TWSBI 580 with a tomahawk nib mod and the lavender purple is in a Pilot Prera.

A144 likes this.
  6. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sheaffer Skrip Blue (the recent Slovenian manufacture) and Noodler's Liberty's Elysium for me at the moment. I have the Skrip in my Safari and the Noodler's in my Gama Raja which you, A144, so kindly introduced me to :)
    The Gama is a great pen for the record, though I would recommend putting in a Sheaffer No Nonsense feed from a donor Viewpoint so there aren't any burping issues.

A144 likes this.
  7. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I get a bit of the sheen out of the Broad BLS nib that is moderately wet on Clairefontaine. It is more noticeable under the florescent lights at school. Either way it's an awesome ink. Only downside it is tends to leave a bit of blue residue in my TWSBI 580s, but it wipes right off with rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab.

The Raja is a great pen. I love the feel of the matte ebonite. After some smoothing on the stock nib, it's a really good writer. Holds a TON of ink. I find I have to store it upright or it'll get ink in the cap and on the nib section.

thatotherguy likes this.
  8. Contendo
    • In Omnia Paratus

Contendo Empty Pockets

I find any Noodler's ink in my F Metropolitan can write on all of the sub par paper that my office throws at it.

A144 likes this.
  9. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Contendo as long as you stay away from the Warden series of inks, a ton of the Noodler's inks work well on crappy paper. Bad Green Gator is one of the worst inks I've ever used on bad paper. BBH and BBK aren't as bad, but still aren't great. I've never used the black ink in the warden series, but I imagine it can't be much better. Baystate Blue also doesn't like bad paper in my experience.

Contendo likes this.
  10. Kommissioner

Kommissioner Empty Pockets

I Pelikan 4001 ink in blue. It's affordable and easy to find.

A144 likes this.
  11. Rotwang

Rotwang Loaded Pockets

Lamy T52 blue ink (50ml)

A144 likes this.
  12. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I've been running Noodler's Purple since December out of laziness. Just cleaned that pen and inked up R&K Alt-Goldgrun. Such an awesome ink that is a unique green-gold.

Replete likes this.
  13. alecgold

alecgold Loaded Pockets

Sailor kiwa guro black nano carbon ink. Must be one of the most durable inks because of the carbon yhat it contains and works like a dream in my pilot 823 clear demonstrator and amber demonstrator. Those are the only two fountain pens I've left from a big and valuable collection I once had. The ink is well behaved, the pens are really good writers and contain huge amounts of ink and are sealed against leaking when traveling.

Replete and A144 like this.
  14. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

A144
    I had Mr. S test my nib before he sent it out and he picked a winner. Mine is a nice, smooth EF with a little spring and just a bit of feedback. I did have to align the tines a bit though.
    I had burping issues with the stock feed too- but after replacing the feed with a Sheaffer No Nonsense feed out of a Viewpoint I've had no issues and have been able to write the pen dry. Took two and a half weeks to get through the first fill but I did it :)
    I eyedropper converted my Kaweco Sport the other day and filled it with Skrip Blue (I seem to be on a Skrip kick... I have a bottle so I might as well use it). I haven't written much with it yet but it's working great so far, and the 2 ml ink capacity will come in handy.

Replete and A144 like this.
  15. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I still haven't tried any of the more traditional inks like Sheaffer Skrip, Pelikan 4001, etc.

16. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Just a heads up, Amazon currently has some really good prices on Iroshizuku inks. Many in the low $20 range, with a few below twenty. Plus free shipping if you're a Prime member. I think I bought the last Syo-ro at $21 though.:D

17. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I keep an eye on them a few times a week, and have been snapping up sub $20 bottles when they pop up. Eventually I'll catch em all.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

18. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Yep, that's kind of how I've been doing it too. Been waiting for the ones I really want first (except for when I found Yama-guri for $12). I got a bottle of Yama-budo not that long ago and like I said, I just picked up Syo-ro.

I guess Take-sumi or Murasaki-Shikibu will be next.

19. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

At the moment I carry a Lamy 2000 with the Lamy standard blue ink.

But I like the darker blue of the Aurora blue ink a lot.
    One of my other pen's an Aurora Talentum and I ordered a bottle of ink together with it when I bought it back in the days.

A144 likes this.
  20. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets