1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I edc 2 fountain pens. A Faber-Castell with J.Herbin Olive and a Lamy Safari with Lamy Blue.

nikao and Bowman1911 like this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I still have Private Reserve Black Cherry in my Safari and I have DC Supershow Blue in my Slim Ventura. Ironically, I like the Supershow Blue considerably more in the EF pen than I did in the Jinhao.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  3. Ataki

Ataki Loaded Pockets

Currently using Iroshizuku Take-sumi in my Pilot Metropolitan

Sachsen and Bowman1911 like this.
  4. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

It's that time of year again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

wildborego, A144 and thatotherguy like this.
  5. thatotherguy

As of right now I have Noodler's Red-Black in my Safari. Prior to that I was using DeAtramentis Edgar Allan Poe which I had flow issues with, then before that was Private Reserve Orange Crush which I had flow issues with.
    For the record, the flow issues were no fault of the inks, I just mentioned them to explain the quick ink changes. Apparently Safaris don't like being dried out quickly by wicking the water away with a tissue so you can try out a new ink right after cleaning it... leads to hard starts on downstrokes for me. All fixed now, and I intend on going back and trying the Poe again next time I need a fill :)
    Lesson learned, there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage on the pen and I get to pass on a little info to those that might be wondering, so it's a win win win overall IMHO :)

A144 likes this.
  6. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips Loaded Pockets

Using Noodlers Black Swan in English Roses in me Pilot Capless and J Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey in my Franklin Christoph model 19 for the past 3 weeks :)

A144 likes this.
  7. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

At the moment I have
    • Pelikan Blue-Black (or Black-Blue?) in a Kaweco Liliput Brass Wave (M nib).
    • J. Herbin 1670 Ocean Blue in a vintage Lamy piston (need to look it up, I think there’s a “27” or something similar on it), and at the same time in a Kaweco AL Sport (EF nib).
    • J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Gray in a Pilot Parallel Pen (2,4 mm nib).
    • J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite in a TWSBI Micarta V2 (F nib).
    • J. Herbin Lie de Thé in a Lamy Safari (umbra, F nib).
    • J. Herbin Vert Olive in a Waterman Junior piston (this one leaked. Need to find out why).
    • Online (cheap German brand) purple in a Lamy Vista (M nib). I have turquoise ink waiting from the same brand. Got all of these from my ex-GF. :rolleyes:
    • Lamy Blue-Black in a black Safari (F nib).
    I believe that’s all for the moment. Looks like I like J. Herbin … :wub: :rolleyes:

A144 likes this.
  8. keycutter

keycutter Loaded Pockets

I have a charcoal Lamy Safari. I use the converter but as of right now I still fill it with black Lamy ink from the bottle.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  9. Replete

Replete Loaded Pockets

My inks right now are super boring - Kaweco turquoise cart in a Kaweco Classic Sport (F nib), and Kaweco blue black cart in a Muji fountain pen (F nib - close in width to the Kaweco, picked up on vacation in San Francisco).

However, I do have a question. I own quite a few De Atramentis ink samples (Apple Blossom, Pearl Violet, and Pigeon Blue being some of my favorite colors), but I find the inks wet. Like, when I use them in a Pilot Metropolitan with an F nib on nicer copy paper, that feathers, but the Kaweco/Kaweco combo above doesn't.

tl;dr What are my options for vivid colors and slightly drier flow? I'm thinking Diamine, but J. Herbin might be good? I'm wondering about people's experiences with those brands, especially Diamine. I've gotta check the blogs, I guess.

Bowman1911 likes this.
  10. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I've had good results with Diamine, personally. Iroshizoku and even the Lamy inks work well, too.

J. Herbin is nice, but I find the color saturation on their standard line to be too watery for my tastes. That said, I have Stormy Grey in my TWSBI and love it.

Replete and Bowman1911 like this.
  11. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

It's been a while since I've posted on the site, and since I've changed inks! I've been so busy lately I've been refilling pens with the same ink! :eek:

I think I've gone through 3 converters full of Air Corps Blue Black in my Pilot Metro. In the middle of finals week, two of my TWSBI 580s ran out of ink. I probably would have refilled them if they hadn't been filled with sample inks that I don't have more of. So one of them got one of my new favorite purples, Noodler's Purple.

The other got filled with ink I've been waiting on for a couple months. It's KWZ Ink Iron Gall Green #1 from Poland purchased through the FPN group buy. It's a really cool ink. Well behaved, not as dry as a typical iron gall ink, and it goes on almost like JH Lierre Sauvage, but dries to something more like Diamine Sherwood Green. It's actually interesting to watch. I've not at my desk, but I'll post some pictures up later.

I'm also in the process of testing out some of the Organics Studio inks that Goulet closed out a few months ago.

Sachsen, foxmo and CitizenSnips like this.
  12. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very Pretty

A144 likes this.
  13. thatotherguy

It seems like DeAtramentis Edgar Allan Poe and my Safari just don't like each other. Even after a proper clean and dry that worked wonders for the Safari with Noodler's Red-Black, I was getting hard starts and skipping. So, instead of fighting my way through a converter, I emptied the ink back into the sample vial and will try again with another ink. It's a shame that I was having troubles with that combo- it's a beautiful shade of green ink. Oh well, at least I didn't buy a whole bottle of it :)
    My Safari and Slim Ventura are drying after their cleaning as we speak. The aerometric filling system of the Slim Ventura is kinda annoying to clean, since it expels inky water into the clean in order to fill completely. It got done though :)
    I have a Cross blue-black cartridge in my Cross Aventura. I don't have a converter for it and the last empty cart cracked after one refill so I'll work through a few cartridges before trying new inks in it. The ink is a decent color anyway, although it's more of a black with grey shading than blue-black for me.
    ETA- Zatx
    I find Private Reserve Black Cherry to be fairly similar to Noodler's Red-Black. It's not exactly the same but it's a nice dark red with black at any rate

Zatx likes this.
  14. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

After rereading this thread I was encouraged to buy a bottle of Diamine Apple Glory. Just recommissioned a Waterman Carene that, I used to use every day, with this ink. Absolutely fantastic! I have to do a lot of editing at work and green is a much easier colour to use than a red. This will get a lot of use alongside my everyday note writer (Lamy 2000 with Private Reserve Black Cherry).

Last edited by DeepBlue, Jan 15, 2015
    C.Boland93 likes this.
  15. thatotherguy

Right now I have Noodler's Purple Heart in my Safari and a Private Reserve Ebony Purple cartridge in my Sport.
    When I did my ink journal entry for Ebony Purple, the sheen caught me off guard... it has a really nice metallic green sheen that kind of reminds me of stars (I know, it's a stretch). Being the first ink I had with a sheen, of course I had to stare at it for about ten minutes...
    I really like Purple Heart too. I've found that Liberty's Elysium for drafting and Purple Heart for editing is an excellent combo, and not as hard on the eyes as black and red.

16. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I really like the Pilot Iroshizuku inks. My favorite being Kon-peki. I recently purchased some sample vials and tried Diamine Oxblood for the first time and loved it. I currently have Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao (kind of a cobalt blue) in my new Pilot Prera and it's very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I own my first piston filler now and added Sheaffer Skrip Ink. But… In my Moleskine it 'bleeds' through the page. (Do you call it like that?)
    I have no idea what ink to choose. My Moleskine is my diary and I used to write with a Parker fountain pen. No bleeding at all.
    Love the Pilot Inks with strange names I saw in this topic. No idea if they sell them in The Netherlands.

18. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Moleskine notebooks are generally not considered to be very fountain pen friendly. Bleeding will depend a lot on the ink, but generally better paper like Rhodia or Clairefontaine will tend to perform better.

I couldn't tell you if you can get Pilot Iroshizuku inks locally, but there are sellers on eBay that will ship worldwide from Japan.

I believe you should be able to find Rohrer and Klingner inks around you. I'd highly recommend their two iron gall offerings: Salix and Scabiosa. They both tend to write a little dry (typical of iron gall inks), but work flawlessly on every paper I've used them on (however, I've never used Moleskine).

19. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

After having run a few pens dry, I cleaned one of my TWSBI's and loaded up Diamine Syrah for work today. I'm really liking it so far!

I really need to get my real camera out...
    [​IMG]

20. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I bought the Mont Blanc lavender purple. Looks like a really nice color in the bottle.
    What do you guys use to clean your TWSBI /FP? Are there any trics?