1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Replete

Replete Loaded Pockets

This is me. I developed my printing into a more rounded style at the end of elementary school and started connecting letters and drawing loops on descenders (i.e., writing letters like "g" and "y" cursive-style) in probably the middle of high school, and I've pretty much been printing legibly since. I've yet to meet someone who can't read my printing; cursive, on the other hand, I've had a few people unable to read.

I of course think this is more a problem with the lack of recognition cursive writing gets rather than a problem with my writing, which is pretty standard. But fountain pens make cursive feel good. I feel like there's less white space so the shading is nicer too.

Iroshizuku Syo-ro - siiiigh. So beautiful. I was looking at inks yesterday and that was the ONE Iroshizuku ink I felt like I needed to try very soon. I kind of like Kiri-same, and looking back at it, Tsukushi has some appeal, but neither match Syo-ro in pushing my buttons.

I swear I will post a picture soon - only three pens inked right now, but I am Loving (capital L) my blue-green Lamy Al-Star with EF nib and Diamine Sepia.

C.Boland93, nikao and A144 like this.
  2. Replete

Replete Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Okay, so I signed up for my first image hosting account since like 2003 and I tweaked my terrible phone photo and I would like some congratulations. :p

FWIW, that is an awful shot of PR Black Cherry - it's a dark dark red. Sorry for being a little gruesome, but it's somewhere between dried blood and, funnily enough, the black cherry bits that you see in ice cream and such. This is on some cheapie Five Star lined paper that I can't use for school because it has an ugly reinforcement strip on the holes.

(Nothing against Five Star, by the way. I've been using their heavyweight refill paper pretty much exclusively for school notes.)

Sachsen, nikao and A144 like this.
  3. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

No not really, just my take on words; although I am beginning to learn a new style called South Australian modern cursive. A very interesting style.

nikao likes this.
  4. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

I think I agree with you on this one. When I am writing in cursive, I sometimes have trouble with specific letter combinations, I just can't find an aesthetically pleasing way to get them to join up with the way I write at the minute.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

nikao likes this.
  5. marcclarke

marcclarke Loaded Pockets

Noodler's Black.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk Pro

nikao likes this.
  6. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

I'd been resisting a bottle of Aventurine, but may have to break down and order one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nikao and A144 like this.
  7. anthro-2010

anthro-2010 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Picked up a bottle of PR Daphne Blue after getting a sample in the Goulet ink drop this month. Great flowing ink and I love the color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I've got way too many pens inked up right now... I don't have a picture, but the inks are as follows:

De Atramentis Aubergine
    Diamine Sherwood Green
    Diamine Matador
    Diamine Blaze Orange
    Noodler's Antietam
    Noodler's Baystate Blue
    Iroshizuku Asa-gao
    Iroshizuku Yama-guri
    R&K Verdigris

nikao likes this.
  9. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Right now, I have just Black Swan in English Roses inked up. I attempted to smooth a nib out and it got clogged up bad. Flushing helped a little, but not enough. I need to get me a brass sheet to clean the slit out. Until I get that resolved, I am just down to the one pen.

With a lot of notebooks lines being some shade of blue as well as computer print outs being primarily in black, using BSiER really makes my hand writing stand out.

nikao likes this.
  10. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just burned through a converter full of Private Reserve Tanzanite and inked up my Safari with Liberty's Elysium yesterday. I'm liking it so far.

nikao likes this.
  11. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Trying my hand at scanning in some inky images!

- Asa-gao is a really nice saturated blue when in a wet pen. It looks really nice out a juicy 1.1 stub.
    - DeA Aubergine is a dark purple in a wet nib, but still noticeably purple. No mistaking it for black like PR Ebony Purple. This might be my first bottle of DeA ink.
    - Verdigris is wonderful! Flows and behaves well, as I've come to expect from R&K inks. A blue black, with just enough green to be interesting. Definitely getting a bottle!
    - Matador is a really nice true red. Not too much brown, not too much orange. A great companion to the the darker Red Dragon and Oxblood inks... I think I like Diamine's reds.
    - Yama-guri... Performs quite well, I just can't seem to connect with any brown inks.
    - Sherwood Green is another nice ink from Diamine. I just don't know if I need another bottle of standard green ink with PR Sherwood, MB Irish, and Gruene Marine...
    - Antietam, IMO, is Noodler's attempt matching Ancient Copper. I like AC better.
    - Tsuki-yo is kind of boring, I'm not a big fan of plain blue-blacks. Reminds me a lot of Noodler's Bad Blue Heron. Does have some sheen though.
    - Baystate Blue. Need I say more?

nikao and Sachsen like this.
  12. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

With the recent brouhaha with Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, I have been looking for a purple alternative. Mont Blanc Lavender Purple has filled in quite nicely. BSiAR has a slightly brighter appearance, but not enough of a difference that I care about. The Lavender Purple writes well and dries decently enough. As a bonus, I really like the bottle it comes in.

nikao likes this.
  13. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a bottle of Diamine's new Tyrian purple and I like it. Anderson Pens have it (and samples) in stock.

nikao likes this.
  14. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

I've got a sample of Tyrian Purple, but I have yet to try it out... I've got so many samples that I haven't gotten around to. That's probably why I've only got 2 inks out of bottles inked up at the moment.

nikao likes this.
  15. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

Oops, double post...

16. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

As much as you like BSiAR, I think you'll be pleased with Tyrian Purple. Not quite as saturated as the Noodlers ink, but a similar color.

Picked up my first and second vintage pens this week, a Sheaffer Imperial IV C/C with a 14k nib, and an Esterbrook SJ (I think) with the 9550 firm EF.

CURRENTLY INKED:

Sheaffer imperial with Diamine autumn oak
    Esterbrook with Sailor Epinard
    TWSBI mini with 54th mass
    TWSBI 580al with Tyrian Purple
    TWSBI vac 700 with Apache Sunset
    Pilot VP with heart of darkness
    Pilot metal falcon with Oxblood

Wow, I think this is the most I've had inked at once.

17. bullet08

bullet08 Loaded Pockets

haven't done much with pen and ink in last few weeks. i should check and clean out the pens that i'm not using. scout yr started back up for my boys and busy getting ready for the camp outs and what not. funny thing is, since everything is done online and forms are filled electronically, no chance to bring out my FP. i was marking progress for the boys in my den, and they all stared at me for taking out FP to do that. i guess most of they boys haven't seen FP in long time, if they ever did.. they are 10 yrs old.

nikao, Sachsen and A144 like this.
  18. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

Running low on 54th Mass, I'm excited. What will be next from my blue sampler pack?

BTW - didn't like 54th Mass, but then again I didn't think I'd like blue-black, and I was right.

nikao likes this.
  19. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

My bottle of J. Herbin 1670 Stormy Grey came from Goulet last week.

I really wish I had my camera, but my uncle is borrowing it to shoot my cousin's sports game while his is being repaired. This scan is the best I can do now, although it really doesn't show off the sheen of this ink.

[​IMG]

20. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

Aaaaah! I need this! I can’t find it anywhere in Germany to buy, though. It’s not even on J. Herbin’s french site! Might have to call an online shop I’ve bought from before and ask them when/if they’ll get it.

nikao likes this.