1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen users: what are your EDC inks?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by A144, Apr 3, 2014.

1. A144
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

A144 Loaded Pockets

For those that use fountain pens on a daily basis, what ink or inks do you EDC in those pens?

Pictures welcome!

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Kommissioner and nikao like this.
  2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

Noodlers 54th Massachusetts is my daily "work friendly" ink. I also currently have diamine oxblood, ancient copper, and Mont Blanc racing green (discontinued) that another board member was generous enough to send me a sample of inked up in other pens for less "formal" writing.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

nikao likes this.
  3. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

My favorite inks all happen to be j herbin , the poussiere DE lune and this green that slips my mind. But I like noodlers for the cheap price.they work well but not to special imo. I iroshizuku is very nice, but to expensive. I also really like the vintage script inks, but obviously they are harder to find.

nikao likes this.
  4. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

For everyday boring ink, I like Diamine Twilight, which is a blue black with just enough of a hint of dark green to make it interesting for me. As a bonus, it flows really well. I prefer bright colors, so I like J Herbin rouge caroubier for a red, and Diamine Apple Glory, which is a nice bright green. I'm still looking for a good orange, which is my favorite color. I've tried Noodler's habanero, which has great shading, but is too brownish to be orange.
    I'll take picture later!

nikao likes this.
  5. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

• Pelikan Black-Blue (or is it Blue-Black?), cartridge in Kaweco Al Sport
    • Lamy Red, cartridge in Lamy Safari
    • Lamy Black-Blue (see above), cartridge in Lamy Safari
    • J. Herbin Lie de Thé (brown), converter in Lamy AL-star
    BTW: I like writing with ink on photo paper. Very saturated and nice shading.

nikao likes this.
  6. brotherlen

brotherlen Loaded Pockets

Private Reserve "burgundy mist"
    Noodlers "anti feather black"

I also have, but do not really care fo, diamine oxblood, and J herbin 1670 blue

nikao likes this.
  7. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

I feel embarrassed saying what I EDC after these first few posts. Lol.

I EDC a Pilot Varsity black. I've had a Lamy Safari in my amazon cart for a few months now... Someday....

8. DavyJ

DavyJ Loaded Pockets

No need to feel embarassed MicroMike. I EDC a $5 Chinese Baoer pen. Works just fine. Although I am in the market for something a little more reputable.

Oh, and the only ink I have in right now is J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir, which is nice. I will add a bottle or two fof Iroshizuku when I get round to it, and possibly one or two of the excellent Diamines mentioned above (Ancient Copper is calling my name!).

elusiveky and nikao like this.
  9. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

My favorite is Rotring's Royal Blue/Königsblau, but those are rather hard to find over here. I ended up ordering a huge batch of diamine Imperial Blue, only to find out that I do not really like it all that much. It is a bit light, and looks a bit "thin" for my taste. I will use it anyway, as I cannot justify throwing it out just because I don't like the color.

In my AL-Star, I use the Lamy Blue, which is quite good.

nikao likes this.
  10. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I use the Cross refill cartridges that came with my pen. Plain black ink. One day I will look into something nicer.

nikao likes this.
  11. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

I write with a 1950's Esterbrook LJ, black. It was damaged probably out in the sun at a sale sitting in a cup so it has the characteristic "sun sale bulge." Figured it was a beater and I wouldn't be too upset if I lost it and wouldn't you know I've never come close! LOL I have like 50 super nice Esties and then this one and this is the one I use the most. LOL

I was using ESS Registrar's Ink (iron gall) for a couple years exclusively. Writes VERY WELL on every paper I've ever tried, including the cheapest, worst quality stuff. It doesn't always look pretty, but for a job where I was writing on cheap paper all the time it was great. I finally had enough of it just because I needed a change and went to Noodler's Black again. Writes better if cut with water. Not sure what mix I am using, but it's probably 10% water or so and that reduces the dry time and feathering. I don't write that much now that work has switched to electronic health records so the dozen bottles of ink or so I have will likely last me the rest of my life.

nikao and surefire7 like this.
  12. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

I no longer carry my fountain pens as often as I used to - Lamy Al Star and Safari. When I did though, I used the refillable adapter and loaded them up with Noodler's Heart of Darkness. I have always been a simple black ink kind of a guy, and this one lives up to its name - deep black and good with most kinds of paper. Only feathers on the really cheap stuff in my experience. I find the Lamy brand refills to be lacking, too light and not smooth out of the nib.

nikao likes this.
  13. foxmo

foxmo Loaded Pockets

For all you inky commitment-phobes, Goulet pens sells 2ml samples of all their bottled inks. I've ordered 7 so far.

kkay, nikao, indigo and 2 others like this.
  14. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I used to use J. Herbin Café des Îles and really liked it, but don't order from any of the shops which carry it anymore, which I'm kind of sad about.

These days I use Higgins Fountain Pen India (you should be able to get this at any craft store) and Higgins Sepia Calligraphy (used to be able to buy it at Ben Franklin's craft stores, but not anymore). When I run out of the current two bottles of the latter (one on my desk at work, the other here at home) I'll probably break down and finish off the limited edition Noodler's Fountain Pen Network Galliley Manuscript Brown I've been saving.

nikao likes this.
  15. John Lee Pettimore
    • In Omnia Paratus

John Lee Pettimore Loaded Pockets

Noodler's Lexington Gray

kkay, elusiveky and nikao like this.
  16. brisboy

brisboy Loaded Pockets

Just Parker quink black and blue (which is running out so something with a bit more character soon) and some very cheap "poky" green.

Sent from my Casio calculator watch. ;p

nikao likes this.
  17. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I use Waterman Tender Purple and Noodler's Blue.

At some point I need to pick up a good black ink.

--flatline

nikao likes this.
  18. dgerson

dgerson Empty Pockets

I've been happily switching between Hero's blue and blue-black. Great stuff at a price that spanks my other inks and sends them home crying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nikao likes this.
  19. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pilot Iroshizuku exclusively (Cerulean Blue, Forest Green, and Burgundy).

nikao likes this.
  20. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

My EDC fountain pen is my LAMY AL-star Graphite Extra Fine with Noodler's Air-Corp Blue-Black. I write so infrequently these days, my handwriting is becoming more atrocious than ever. Doctor's be jelly! :p

[​IMG]

wildborego, Jerry L and nikao like this.