1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fountain pen questions for noobie

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by dan.05, Dec 1, 2019.

1. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I have some questions that I can’t seem to find answers to but I’m sure that the average fountain pen user will know.

Firstly I am about to buy a pen and haven’t used a fountain pen before. Can’t wait to be honest. I’m going to start with a cheaper Sheaffer and use the provided cartridge until I know that it is right for me. Then I’m going all out.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I do a lot of writing daily, mostly notes etc. I wanted to know:

- what makes a fountain pen leak? Will it leak if it is in my work bag and it is in its side?

- is it ok to have the fountain pen on its side?

-I normally have my pen in my top pocket with the top facing up. Will the heat I conduct make the pen leak?

-I’m a lefty, is it going to be a major pain to write without smudging?

2. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

I'm not an expert, but I'll have a go. If anyone spots an error in my replies then please correct me.
    • Gravity, jolts and shocks, pressure differentials (e.g. in planes at altitude). Mine don't, but IMO it depends how much shaking and rough treatment your bag takes.
    • Yes, though (IMO) not as safe from leaks as nib-up.
    • I don't think so from body heat if nib-up. There's a chance if the cartridge comes loose, or is defective, etc.
    • It might depending on how you hold the pen, but it also depends on the paper and ink combination you use - papers like Rhodia and Tomoe River let the ink sit on the surface for longer, which is great for shading and sheen but gives increased drying times. To explore the world of inks this is a good place to start - http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/160612-index-of-ink-reviews/
    Have fun!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Many factors to all your questions, everyones experiences may vary.

As far as leaks go, I haven't had many issues, make sure it is always tip up in travel and lid is securely screwed/clicked into place.

Same goes for smudging, a lot of variables come to play. A fountain pen will be more susceptible to smudges due to you are placing "runnier" ink on paper opposed to standard ball point ink. Things to consider, what type of paper you are writing on, not all absorb the same way, some absorb quicker/better than others. Not an issue for me personally, my fountain pens have become daily's for me and get used on everything/anything. What kind of ink you are using, some dry quicker, flow better, and etc. Not all are made equal and you will have to find which works best for you. Finally, nib size has a huge part in regards to smudging, the larger the nib, the more ink it puts down, resulting in longer absorption and dry times increasing risk for possible smudges. Not saying an extra fine nib wont smudge, it is always something to be mindful of. A lot of this comes down to trial and error, like an automatic watch you may either love it or hate it realizing it is more work. That being said, even though it is more work I truly appreciate how much better it writes (for me) and the overall satisfaction is greater. You are starting in a good place, check out something along the lines of a LAMY or TWSBI, affordable and very well made for the cost. Only way to find out is to try it.

Enjoy!

4. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I was going to get this sheaffer and if I like the feel, get a converter and some funky coloured ink.

If I take to writing with a fountain pen, I’m planning on buying out on some nice models.

I currently have a watch fetish and have now got what I wanted so here comes the next hobby to spend play money on.

[​IMG] Bu the way, the $ are in AUD not USD.

Thought I’d mention that because the Americans would have a heart attack over the price lol.

5. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

Can you put any brand of fountain pen ink in any fountain pen? I.E Lamy ink in a Parker etc.

6. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

yes; BTW - unless your pen uses ink cartridges, you will need a convertor for your FP, which is sort of a quasi-cartridge that you fill directly from an ink bottle.

7. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I have ended up getting a Parker IM as the store didn’t have the sheaffer or much of anything else to be honest.

I have ordered a converter and am going to order some of this [​IMG]

I think the colour is gorgeous and I’ll be able to distinguish my writing from the rest.

Also want to get another pen to sample a variety.
    Can anyone recommend another pen?

Also what are the vintage pens like?

YankeeHotelFoxtrot likes this.
  8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I just recently acquired a couple of Pilot Metropolitan fine-nib pens. I am enjoying them so far.

I am using them with their cartridges, though both came with a squeeze-type converter insert. I may try bottled ink at some point. Right now I have their black, blue, blue-black, purple, and green cartridges to play with. Should last me a while.

9. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I might pick me up a Lamy safari tomorrow. They look like a good and sturdy beater pen.

10. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Good call. I have a couple and like them. They're fun, the converters and nibs are readily available and cheap, and you can swap nibs without emptying the pen.

Iroshizuku inks are very high quality, well-behaved and usually gorgeous. They do have a high-end price tag too. If you want to sample a very wide range of colours in well-behaved inks at a (much) lower price point, then Diamine might be worth a look.

Have fun!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I am not worried about the price. Seems reasonable for a high quality ink so I’m good with that.

Picked up a red Lamy safari today. It was so wet when I was writing that it was getting quite messy. After inspecting I found the nib wasn’t seated correctly and that’s what was causing the excessive amount of ink. Since then it’s been great. Completely different feel to the Parker. Not better just different. Both are nice to write with.

I think I’m going to enjoy my new hobby.

12. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@dan.05: I haven't chimed in so far just because others have been giving you great advice. You are on a journey definitely to a new fascination/addiction... I actually started with fountain pens and then moved to knives... but you get the picture.

I urge you to visit a great forum for fountain pens and other writing instruments; enormous knowledge base over there. After all, as others have said and you'll discover, pen performance is much more than just the pen itself. Also depends on the ink, the paper, your grip, etc etc.

Check out Fountain Pen Network: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

Have fun! And definitely set yourself a budget... !

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist likes this.
  13. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

I have emailed the team and the admin at the forum you shared about two days ago and have t heard back yet.

I started with knives here on EDC and then moved to cameras, straight razors, watches and now fountain pens.

14. dan.05

dan.05 Loaded Pockets

By the way, this is my latest watch [​IMG]

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Spend some time 'lurking' on the FPN forum. Just cruise around; you'll learn from it I think. I don't recall but there may even be a thread somewhere there for folks new to fountain pens...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

PragmaticMurphyist and dan.05 like this.