1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Forum Participation

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Ethos, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I've never been on a forum with 150+ people on at one time with so little activity. It's like everybody went to the school dance and just stood around staring at one another. SMH

I know you don't always have something to say, but there are so many topics regarding EDC already here and so many other possibilities. I just don't get it.

2. Kethriel

Kethriel Empty Pockets

It took me 2+ months to get my account verified. I imagine most of those people are not able to say anything.

3. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

There's 160 plus people that are members actually online when I posted this, there were 64 at 3AM, that's a LOT of people not talking about anything.

We're not even mentioning the 800+ guests which are lurkers and about 1/2 of those are bots.

4. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I have limited knowledge for starters - a lot of my input would be noise for the sake of it. And without pictures too (I refuse to use tapatalk and Flickr decided to make it impossible to copy a link on an iPad ;););))

MCPOWoller and surefire7 like this.
  5. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Like anything that requires input you will have those that do, those that don't, those that take everything said as gospel, those that think you are completely wrong, those who don't like confrontation, those who want to start a fight, and a whole host of those in between.
    Sometimes I think that people don't participate because they think someone else will answer/do something.
    The more people chatting, the bigger the brainstorming in my opinion.

6. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

This is the whole reason I started this thread. Basically. :D

rkazooti likes this.
  7. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Dunno. To me this seems relatively lively forum. A day or two away and lot to catch up.

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AV8R

AV8R Loaded Pockets

I spend my time reading new posts!

9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Information sharing, healthy debate, international outlooks on things makes this forum quite good for the brainstorming of ideas, solutions and unique items.

garza and surefire7 like this.
  10. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Which topic is missing? If you have an interest for EDC, start a topic. Don't wait for another person to start the topic. I actually enjoy reading opinions from Europe which highlight items which are off my radar.

I am a active member of another forum. Variations of the same questions are posted as new topics on an almost daily basis. That forum is becoming so annoying that I only check once or twice per month.

surefire7 likes this.
  11. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Ok, so from here on out we'll discuss politics, religion, and history of world imperialism.

MCPOWoller, Ethos and Moshe ben David like this.
  12. 1Zach1

1Zach1 Loaded Pockets

I used to spend a ton of time on various forums (mostly knife related, but also just general outdoors). Between work and life I pretty much dropped off the grid for a couple years. Sure seems to me that Forum activity all over the place has completely fallen away. It used to be that you could barely go an hour without forums having large amounts of topic turnover with tons of participation, but now that seems to have really slowed down and checking even the largest forums once a day catches you up.

Maybe social media has taken its toll? I don't know, just my observation.

13. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Honestly i rather see a couple of interesting posts a day than hundreds and hundreds of posts about nothing that only make the good posts impossible to find.

Gary Gross, garza and surefire7 like this.
  14. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

It's a web-wide problem, experts say people are losing interest in online life, neglecting their online friends and generally losing touch with the online world...the culprit: Summer. Even Mmorpg troglodytes are dropping out; abandoning their guilds and throwing away their potential for who knows what sandy hell-holes.
    The ones who are left, that is - we staunch few - were the boys at the school dances who hung around, hands in our cargo pockets sweatily clutching our SAKS. But now the girls are gone, and the knives are out...
    But yeah, joking aside I agree with you, it's been pretty slow lately.

Ethos likes this.
  15. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Not a specific topic, just overall participation, despite good numbers online.

I start threads and post new stuff all of the time.

#15 Ethos, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  16. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

We have one of the most versatile forum topics anywhere on the net, there is so much potential in discussions that 'could be'. I'm not wanting blithering posts at all, but there's no reason there's not more discussion.

Even if you look at activity from a few months ago, actual participation is down. If you look at some posts over the past year and look at members profiles, some quit even logging on near the same times, within days, I looked at quite a few. Still there are a lot of people here that don't or rarely post, not that it's a requirement.

I wonder if some of the Photobucket and other hosts are causing some to post less. I love looking at pictures of what others have and hope others enjoy mine. Not because of bragging but to see what works for you and what works for me.

If we all sit around waiting to read what someone else posts, there won't be anything to read and weel all be looking at our thumbs picking our cuticles.

17. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Not that I used photobucket but the demand for $399 per year has definitely reduced posts with images.

#17 garza, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    surefire7 and Ethos like this.
  18. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Traffic on forums down during the summer is no surprise.
    Some people only have a 12 week window (some have less) to enjoy warm temperatures and then the cold returns.

19. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

For me - I really don't need any more stuff, and I am not enough of an expert to advise others. I may browse through occasionally out of habit but there are not many topics I feel compelled to post in or even read. Once you are done with the accumulation phase, there is not a lot to see in gear-oriented forums.

Judge Holden and Gary Gross like this.
  20. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

What could go wrong there?