1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Forum Functionality Problems

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracingthestage

gracingthestage Empty Pockets

It was indeed! Thanks, Soli!

2. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I was wondering how to expose my email address in my profile for BST rules. Neither the "Profile" nor the "Email and Password" sections seem to have a relevant option.

Also, could we rename threads again? Attempting to rename a thread now only renames the post's title. It'd be nice to be able to update BST thread names etc.

Thanks!

3. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

The BST threads seems to be arranged oldest first by default. Even if I change the organization, when I leave the page and come back, it reverts to showing oldest first. Anyone else experiencing this?

4. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Couple more things:

1) Right now I can't send PMs to more than one user at a time. It'd be nice to return this to the old functionality where I could send to multiple recipients. Helps in "event" organization and communication.
    2) Will the old BST feedback system eventually be brought forward into the new forum software? If not, can the old feedback entries be preserved and made visible?
    3) Searching through PMs seems to be recently broken. I remember this working a few days ago but previously successful searches now return nothing (no matches).

Thanks for keeping the user metadata at the left. I don't like CPF's user-on-top layout. =)

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Here is some thing that could slow the process down.

"4.0.2 has 1530 bugs (based on any that are confirmed(bugscrub)" That is a lot of bugs.

I am trying to put priority on certain things. I will try an get all these issues addressed but I have to move on to other things for a little bit. Being able to keep the forum going is going to be dependent on me getting a couple of things done the next couple of days and I can come back to this.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I tried to fix it using the forum controls and it didn't work. I am going to take this up with vB but they are very slow at responding right now. They are getting hammered with bug fix issues.

7. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I'd try tweaking your settings, because I'm able to send PMs to multiple users by separating the usernames with semicolons.

8. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

Your mistake was choosing version 4. I've been researching forum software for the last few months. A lot of people liked vBulletin. A lot liked Invision Power Board. Many liked MyBB. The one thing everyone agreed on was to stay away from vBulletin 4. It was written by a new development team from the company that bought out Jelsoft. The people that wrote the well-regarded previous versions of vBulletin are all gone. There's a distinct possibility that vBulletin will focus less on being forum software and instead try to be oriented more toward social networking. Everybody said if you absolutely must run vB, at least stay with 3.x. But having installed vB 4, you may be looking at a dead end if there are big problems down the road or if Internet Brands decides they want to change the direction of vB. Your only option then would be to buy yet another license to something like IPB and then also buying software to convert the database for the new forum.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

That is what I am worried about right now. I actually got the software to save time. My thoughts were I would lose a few days but get to save time on the other end. This software is beating me up to where I can't take care of other things that I need to take care of.

10. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Which setting is that? I just tried sending a PM to you and me as a test, and I received the following error:

It doesn't really make sense for a default setting to result in reduced functionality so I'd be a little surprised if this were tweakable by users. There are pages of settings and I've only paged through them a couple of times so I could certainly have missed or misread something though. Thanks!

11. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Does it make sense to consider trying v3 at this point? Yes it will be a pain and will likely result in further downtimes, but perhaps better now than later.

12. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

The problem is time. Things are slowly getting fixed so it is a matter of which is more time. Keep pushing forward or trying to move to 3.8 or is the best thing to do get other stuff done.

Then new software was to keep two birds with one stone. I was in hopes that the new software would save time and it still might but has a huge investment in time on the front end. Going to something else will take up time too. I have to guess which is the closest shore.

All of my time costs were not the forum but if this could save a couple of hours a day it would be worth it. Then I could use that time to try and solve other time issues.

Then there is the other bird... I was hoping a couple of features on the forum could do something I simply don't have the time to do at all so it is more of getting something else done than saving time since I have not been doing it at all. I know it is cryptic.

In a nut shell I started doing this to try and keep from having to close the forum.

13. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Never mind, I tried sending a PM with multiple users also, but I got the same error (I hadn't actually tried it until now). Jon, sorry, but that seems to be something else you need to add to the to do list.

14. spiritof76

spiritof76 Loaded Pockets

It's a pity you can't get a refund on your license. At this point, quite a few people think Invision Power Board has taken over from vBulletin as the best commercial forum software, especially since IPB 3.0 is a step up while vB 4.0 is a step down. A few think vB 3.x is still better, but it looks like that has no future since 4.0 is completely different. A group of vB users have begged former lead developer Kier Darby to write new forum to compete with the reviled vB 4. Invision released a converter that can transfer vB 4 to IPB 3 and some people were ecstatic. There already are vB4 to IPB3 refugees and almost all of them say they are happy and would never look back. Invision seems to be doing everything right while Internet Brands is doing everything wrong. MyBB also has a rather rabid following since it's considered the best free software, better than SMF and worlds better than PHPbb, but I'm not sure that would suit your needs in the long run.

15. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

↑↑↑↑↑
    That

16. Skidder

Skidder Loaded Pockets

On the old version, I was able to keep track of replies to my postings in a window that came up when ever something new was added. Is this function still available?

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Even if I could get a refund it is too late. Time has been the biggest killer. Since November there are some things that I have been trying to find the time to do on a regular basis and I just couldn't.

The new software was supposed to kill three birds with one stone. I thought I would just let everything else that had to do go for a few days. Things we be running just fine. Two of the things I have been trying to do would be done with less work, and the time savings through automation would allow me to catch up on things.

I think all but two of the big things are done. The rest are little tiny things that can be taken care of a bit at a time but actually I am in huge trouble now. Way to many non-forum things that I needed to do have not been done and I also have not been able to take care of my customers like I should.

If I have to change software right now the forum is going away for awhile. I will have to recover a bit before I can thinik of another move.

18. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

I've got a 5Hr old Waved Delica in green next to my keyboard that would beg to differ...Again Thanks for all your hard work jon.

19. jester02k

jester02k Loaded Pockets

Hi I cant view attached images when I click on the I get the notice

jester02k, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

just thought you should know

20. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Jon,

Noticed something particularly weird. I keep track of latest posts by clicking the "whats new" button at top left, but often there are threads in there which have been given a last post date/time of maybe a couple of hours ago, but when you open it up nothing has been added for a couple of days. And example would be this one ... http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/70768-Gerber-milti-tools-like-them-hate-them/page3 ... which keeps popping up in the list as if something has changed, but nothing has. This one is a good example as it says that I posted at 7:38 GMT today (9th), but nothing has actually been posted there since the 7th.

Obviously I've noticed it more when its a thread I've posted in or been avidly following (I dont follow all threads), so don't know how common this is. It's nothing catastrophic, but can be annoying as you might open 4 or 5 threads but nothings changed in say three of them.

Apologies if this has already come to light, and thanks again for your continued efforts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.