1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Forum Functionality Problems

Discussion in 'MEMBER RULES, GUIDELINES & ANNOUNCEMENTS' started by JonSidneyB, Feb 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

2. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Hi, I'm really missing the new reply to your posts function. Not the see all your posts, just the threads where I have posted and which have new reply's.

The insert link function isn't working well, you get the "insert html" ok, but if u want to name a link, insert a text, you have to do it manually. The dialog jumps strait to done.

In the "advanced" reply feature there isn't any menu, no pics, no links, no text editing, just a few smileys.

3. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

What happened to the link letting me see responses to my posts?
    Also, with regard to the censoring program...bizarre words are being censored. For example the word "zom?ie" otherwise spelled "zo?bie" (as in an undead guy that shuffles around) is not permitted. The word is blanked out entirely. Anybody have anything (except taste) against a George Romero film?

4. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

GMB, the word for living dead has been censored out for quite some time. I think it's because it's not kid friendly and causes too much survivalist talk rather than EDC talk.

5. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

See this thread concerning the "Z" word.

6. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

I'd say this is more than just handy, it allows the forum to run much cleaner as you can add items (or delete items) out of the title without having to start a new thread, lets you put sold or withdrawn so folks aren't wasting their time, etc

I'd echo the thanks for the hard work as well!

7. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Not sure about the "reply to your posts" settings. I'm still snooping around to figure out the range of functionality.

As far as posting issues, I believe there is an option in your profile settings that allow you to change how extensive of tools you have for posting. A profile's default is set to the absolute basic settings, but you should be able to change that to get full editing features in the " go advanced".

8. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Followup on the PM issue:

Will the limit increases for Supporter status be kept using the new forum software? Is there any ETA for these increases?

In the old forum software, Sent Messages were "free" and didn't consume quota. The current setting of 100 with this software, combined with the quota usage of Sent Messages, means that I now have hundreds of PMs overflowing my quota of 100.

Since Sent Messages are no longer "free," is there any chance that the quotas can be increased beyond what they once were? I guess what I'm saying is that an account with quota of 200 would previously have actually held upwards of 400 messages in it. If it doesn't break the server, perhaps we could bump up the quotas to maintain a roughly similar sort of experience so we don't need to delete old messages that still hold significance.

I understand that this isn't a top priority; I'm just curious if it's on the radar and if there's an estimated implementation time. Thanks!

9. DemskeetSkeet

DemskeetSkeet Loaded Pockets

Back on the old set up I could read posts by hitting "New Replies."

That was my favorite feature. I could easily see new posts after I posted in a thread by the click of a mouse. Is this still possible?

One other thing: I had my viewing of threads on the old system "backwards." Basically I could read new posts when I clicked on the thread titles.

Are these two things still possible Jon? If so, how can I set it up like I want it?

Thanks Jon!

I feel like a noobie with this new set up. I hope I can find your post when you reply to it.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

We are knocking things down several at a time.

Right now time is my biggest enemy. I will try and get all of this done but I have to do other things at the same time.

11. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Here is what I am up against.

Link
    Many unexpected things.

Kelly Comment
    Kelly at CPF commented that this was Buggy software.

nightmare
    "And then you look at the fact they released vBulletin 4 as Gold and we have over a 1,000 Bugs outstanding on it. It’s all just a bad joke really as customers expense."

link
    "And whilst I am sitting here feeling very pleased to have all the sites working as well as they are, I have also been watching the pressure build on some of the vBulletin admin forums. The average vBulletin customer seems to be somewhere between absolute rage and homicidal over the so-called ‘Gold’ release of vBulletin 4.

It’s plain to see Internet Brands was trying to rush their latest piggie to market. vB 4 is still chock-a-block with bugs, yet IB saw fit to go ahead and release it to their customer base. No doubt trying to please the bean-counters, since the result has been anything but pleasing to their customers."

We are going to get this right and things are getting knocked down one by one. Many of the things people are wanting are on the table for Tuesday. I have to do things by priority and I have to get this done fast. I have to take care of the priorities first. I also have to give time for a couple of other things or I will not be able to continue.

This is not the only thing I am doing right now and I have been running on almost no sleep.

12. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

It's a quick fix if you want to do it your self. Edit the opening IMG tag and remove the "width=640 height=479" Note, I'm unaware of how to force a soft resize of remote images so you way want to upload smaller images to photobucket as they are rather large at the moment.

John, you may want to look into ImageResizer. It'd be nice to have a uniform max size in the forum threads (with the option to view larger).

13. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

Refresh the browser?

I believe if you go to your Settings \ General Settings the option "Thread Display Mode:" will do what you want.

It's never fun having to get used to a new way of thinking. vBulletin does get better though once you get used to its nuances

14. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=231666 for a location to the mod.

15. soli

soli Loaded Pockets

It would be nice to have the ability to modify the way the forum date / time is displayed, I'm not wild on the mm-dd-yyyy set up of current. This setting appears to be missing from user settings.

Would it perhaps be better if a "features request" thread was created for some of the other items i've mentioned instead of cluttering up this thread?

16. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

The moderator icons are showing up with all the smiley emoticons (not that I'm complaining;D).

Sweet looking skull eh!
    :stskull:
    And a pretty pony:
    :peg2:

17. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

Here's an update concerning the permissions. I can't view the attached image on the first post of this thread because of insufficient permissions: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/47542-Best-Pen-Ever
    It gives me this message if I try to view it:

Simsmac0o, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

There are a lot of basic things that need to be done. I have been focusing on getting the old members in and trying to figure out why half of them are not getting reset emails. Tonight I will drop the getting the old members in for a few hours and hammer out those things.

People queing up to get password resets is the biggest use of time at the moment. I don't want to leave those people hanging.

19. wabash

wabash Loaded Pockets

Jon, don't you have someone who can help with password resets?

20. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Problem noted with BUY + SALE + TRADE section

Threads: 6,240

There are only 2 pages showing up .. Just a heads up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.