1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

For those that carry in a pack/bag, chambered or no?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ovaltine, May 6, 2011.

?

Chambered or no?

1. Chambered

42 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Rack it

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

This assumes you have the use of both arms when drawing your weapon. Maybe not a very safe assumption.

2. ovaltine

ovaltine Loaded Pockets

^ true enough.
    Hello Ham- regarding that 5.11 holster. Where you referring to the holster pouch, LBE holster, or thumbdrive holster? I'm going to guess the holster pouch?

3. Kjott21

Kjott21 Loaded Pockets

If I'm carrying it there is one in the chamber.

4. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Hi ovaltine,

I did not know that they made more than one kind. So now I am at a loss. It was on the display at the 5.11 bag section at my local police supply store in the bag section.

It looks like a flat square hard section of doubble sided velcro (hook section) with a small universal balistic nylon holster (loop backed) with an adjustable thumb break that attaches to it. As opposed to the maxp one that looks loke a fat flattened toilet paper tube with another loop that goes around it to drop your gun into so it can fall out.

Unless there is more than one made only for inside a bag. This one is not for belt carry or vest carry it is made for inside a bag to mount to the internal velcro loop section.

Cliff

5. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

I couldn't find a link to the 5.11 with a thumb break either. The pouch holster I see doesn't have on, it's just a pouch.

6. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I don't carry a gun that I'm not comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber.

7. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

Hi ovaltine,

I went on 5.11 web site, Their photo does not show the straps that are included, but the listing talks about it. It is the pouch model.

You can't tell from the photo, But it takes everything from my Baretta Tomcat .32 to a Ruger Single Six convertable revolver, to a 1911.

After trying it I already bought a second one (that I cant find now), But for an inside bag carry holster, I have no buyers remorse.

Cliff

8. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Cliff.

9. MichaelU167

MichaelU167 Empty Pockets

Whenever I carry a handgun, its loaded with a round in the chamber. Not much use to me if it isn't.

10. treesloth

treesloth Empty Pockets

When I carry my 1911 in my bag (a MaxP Kodiak) I use a Crossbreed Holsters velcro-backed kydex model. The gun has a round in the chamber. That goes most places with me, except for work (sadly, that's a "please find a job elsewhere" offense here).

11. jeepdude_1

jeepdude_1 Loaded Pockets

I think its silly to carry a gun if your not going to have it loaded....just my opinion ....Mine is ready to rock and roll....

12. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

Hi locknload223,

Anytime. We all try different holsters in search of the right one or at least a good compromise, sometimes the search cost more than the gun to get comfortable.

During my quest for an inside the bag holster, I thought the Maxp was the only game in town. I couldn't believe that they even called it a holster.

Then I found the 5.11 holster and when I realized that that it would be a perfect fit in any other bag that had a loop velcro mounting surface, I bought it. The velcro is so strong that it is a small pain to configure. When I realized that it would fit the Maxp bag and had the thumb break and would adjust to all different guns (both revolver and semi auto), I thought it would be a great compromise.

Having been a police officer for 31 years I will NEVER ankle carry any gun because if youget in a fight and end up on the floor with your pants leg up a little and the bad guy sees it, you are in a fight for your life when the bad guy goes for your gun.

Inside the pants holsters add inches to your waist line and necessates pants that are larger in the waist and larger belts etc...

Inside the pocket presents its own issues drawing a gun, and if it fits inside your pocket, it might not be the caliber that you want to protect your family with.

With all my time having worked plain clothes and off duty, For me it will always be outside the belt strong side carry and I will just have to have a shirt or jacket to cover it with. Living in Florida, I wear a t-shirt with a short sleeved button down shirt to cover it with. Sometimes I just have a large t-shirt over it that is not tucked in.

It is different strokes for different folks any way, but I just thought I would share my search history, just incase it might shorten your search.

Cliff

13. Dynamik1

Dynamik1 Empty Pockets

If you're going to commit to carrying a concealed weapon PLEASE do not put it in a bag. Bags & purses are the first thing you get separated from in an emergency - whether its a purse/bag snatching or some other assault. If youre committed enough to carry daily, then please be committed enough to find a way to carry on-body. There are many different options - keep trying and you'll find one that fits you perfectly. Dont get separated from your gun and dont let it get into the hands of a miscreant.

14. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

question is which are you more afraid of, that you won't have a second to chamber one or that the gun might go off by accident, both can happen, a bag probably increases the chance of accident since you have objects in it, move it around

I don't know any statistics to back this up but I think it's splitting hairs, I'm not afraid to carry without chambering the majority of the time, when I do feel the need to chamber I start asking myself if it's worth putting myself in this dangerous of a location? Might be time to move to a nicer place or find a better job

15. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

The only time my firearms don't have a loaded chamber is if I just ran the mag dry and the slide locked back or if they are being cleaned.

16. ferris209

ferris209 Loaded Pockets

Absolutely chambered, otherwise, what is the point to having CCW when you add another step in accessing your gun!

17. Colt0208

Colt0208 Loaded Pockets

Always condition 1 in a holster... Anything less and it could be your life....