1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

For those familiar with fountain pens(nibs, Lamy Safari)

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by USA^3, Jan 2, 2014.

1. USA^3

USA^3 Loaded Pockets

I just got a Lamy Safari today, and my impression was that fountain pens have flat nibs, but this has a weird "pseudo-ballpoint", for lack of a better term. Is that normal?

Can anyone help clarify and explain to me what nibs are like? I'm very new to fountain pens, but with this pseudo-ballpoint, I feel I may as well just stick with my Pilot G-2.

2. Nippy Dye

Nippy Dye Empty Pockets

A pic would help clear things up.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Not really. Most nibs have a nice round ball at the end, to glide across the paper easily regardless of nib angle.

You're thinking of calligraphy nibs, which are cut straight across in order to provide variation in line width. However, you have to hold the nib at precisely the correct angle to the paper or else it won't write, or worst case will catch and rip the paper. These are slower and require more skill to write with.

Luckily, you can get these kinds of nibs for your Safari without buying a whole new pen. Jetpens has them.

There are nib types like stub and oblique that split the difference between calligraphy and normal nibs: provide some line variation without requiring the writer to have the pen at precisely the correct angle.

Fountain pens, in my experience, glide across the paper better and require less pressure on the paper.

WillAdams and AK Adventurer like this.
  4. USA^3

USA^3 Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much, you've answered my question accurately, thoroughly, and concisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Get the 1.1mm stub nib for your Safari. It gives nice line variation without requiring you to change the size of your writing much.

--flatline

6. USA^3

USA^3 Loaded Pockets

That sounds like a good idea, I'll consider it.
    Making a decision on which size nib to buy will depend on the purpose I intend for the pen. I'm leaning toward a broad stub or a flex nib.
    Anyway, thanks for all the help guys. I've learned a lot.