1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

for the users of multiple monitor setups

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Beaniehatty, Dec 19, 2013.

1. akmedic77

akmedic77 Loaded Pockets

Home computer has a 21" and a 15". At work it's laptop or two 22" screens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

I have two 23" monitors at work. I've been using dual monitors for over 5 years now, I don't think I could work on only one for extended periods and a third would be pointless for me. I do IT Support/MSP monitoring, so email and alerts are on one monitor while remote logins and server screens are on the other.

3. Pkelly

Pkelly Empty Pockets

That looks like a great setup. I am dealing with same need at work, and I was looking at going with the 3 monitor setup you described, but the 4 monitors look really nice!

I would be interested to see if two really large monitors would be better overall. I have played around with this in the past but it almost seemed too big. Decisions, decisions.

4. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

As a photographer I use duel monitors at work. 2 x HPZR24w's. Once for Photoshop and one for my admin duties. [​IMG]

At home I only use one 21" Acer. Please excuse my messy desk. Been out with the flu for over a week. First day back.

5. bitonebit

bitonebit Loaded Pockets

Here's another vote for 2 vs 1.

(2) 23" Dell IPS
    [​IMG]

KeyeEl and MCPOWoller like this.
  6. Gilcano

Gilcano Loaded Pockets

Gee, I want to do this.....

72hrs must pass before a person may be considered missing, longer if they own a Jeep.

7. Gilcano

Gilcano Loaded Pockets

I want to do this, already have one 23".

72hrs must pass before a person may be considered missing, longer if they own a Jeep.

8. baldenwonder

baldenwonder Loaded Pockets

I have been lucky to try all sizes and multiple screens, now I use a couple 27" screens that have around 2540 x 1440 resolution. It's great to have them on adjustable arms so you can easily move them around. One for work and the other for information or open folders with the files. There is a new 5k iMac out which I'm interested to see how the pixels look. With the higher resolution screens you can have browsers or applications next to each other and I don't feel that I need more screens as it would be difficult to see the detail and a strain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Studley

Studley Loaded Pockets

I use a setup similar to this for work. However I don't have stand for my machine.... Going to have to remedy that I think.

10. geekandwife

geekandwife Loaded Pockets

I use a 32 inch TV as a second monitor right above my 21.5 inch primary. That is also my primary living room TV, but works out nice still.

11. gflack

gflack Loaded Pockets

I use 2 ASUS 23" monitors on a vivo dual monitor stand. I have been totally happy with the setup. It is connected to an ASUS desktop.

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I have two, 22-inch PC monitors at the office setup on a sit-stand workstation. They are canted so that my neck doesn't strain too much as I view from one screen to another. They are also, each, independently adjustable for height.

13. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Loaded Pockets

I went from using two 22" 16:10 aspect ratio monitors to a single 28" 16"9 display at 4k resolution (3840x2160).

In some ways, I wish I had gone with one of the ultra-wide displays instead (3440x1440). The pixel density on the 4k displays is fantastic, but without adjusting DPI scaling in Windows, it is too high. The density of the ultra-wide displays would have been more appropriate and given me the additional screen real estate that I was looking for.

-SF

14. Rabidfox

Rabidfox Loaded Pockets

I have a 29" wide-screen from Dell that runs 2560x1080 and it's amazing. It took some getting used to but I love it

15. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

I have 2 Dell 27" screens at 2560x1440. I used to have 3 for racing games, but the wife needed one for her desktop. Get a good articulating stand that can move about and ditch the stock stands to free up some under monitor desk space and be able to move them to a position that works well for you.

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I've never used an ultrawide, but one would be my 2nd choice at this point, right behind 4K.

I tend to use a lot of VMs, and I don't like windows covering up other windows, so I actually have a 39" 4K tv as my main monitor and a 1920x1080 next to it, and when we move and I get a new desk, there will be another 1920x1080 on the other side. So, I'm a bit crazy. I like spreading things out. If I had the money, I'd use a 39" 4k flanked by a pair of 27" 4K monitors.

But, IMHO a big 4K is the way to go unless your computer can't run it. And I think it's worth giving it a try no matter what. My Linux desktop can run it off an old gt640, and my Linux laptop can run it off integrated i5 graphics.

17. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I'd opt for 2 monitors over an ultrawide. Just easier to max windows out on each monitor vs having to resize windows on one wide monitor.

Plus with 2 or 3 monitors, you can angle the monitors slightly toward you. Not possible with an ultrawide, so the viewing angles at the edges will be suboptimal. Plus unless it's superwide, you're not going to get the same amount of total screen real estate as 2 monitors.

For gaming or movies, my answer would be different, but for productivity, multiple monitors trumps one large monitor, IMO.

Montetobuso likes this.
  18. MNBob

MNBob Empty Pockets

You don't need multiple monitors until you've had multiple monitors, then you'll never be able compute with one monitor again.

ghuns, hal_chase, yukon2004 and 5 others like this.
  19. maxpower47

maxpower47 Loaded Pockets

Totally agree. I have 2 24's and 2 19's at work and I still feel like I could use more room sometimes. They're actually connected to 2 different computers but I use a program called Synergy to share my keyboard and mouse across like its one big desktop.

20. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

At my work, I have 4 monitors. besides having the screen real estate as the benefit, having the extra screens help when I double click on the top window to maximize. If I did that on one screen, it would maximize on the entire screen.