1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

For the coffee geek: Mason-jar sized portable pourover coffee

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Chiro75, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

• Edited per Rule 11
    I just received it before the weekend. It's called the Dose or "Ecobrew". I was pleasantly surprised. It's basically a pourover coffee/tea (although I'm not sure how well tea would work in it because it needs to steep) setup that is made for a wide-mouth pint Mason jar and when not in use the whole kit fits inside the jar for easy transport. I'll post pics in a reply.

I got the complete package containing an Ecojarz silicone coffee lid that converts a Mason jar into a sippy cup (these are for sale now on the site), the pourover cup/filter itself, a reusable cloth filter for inside the filter cup, a plate that sits on top of the Mason jar and accepts the filter cup as you pour-over, a flat stainless steel disc that works like a plug in this plate so you can put everything inside the Mason jar when you're done and transport it without spilling any leftover liquid, and a second little screen with a handle that goes inside the filter cup. I'm not sure what this piece is for or how to use it, honestly. I think it probably has to do with the tea but it beats me.

I didn't use the second screen or the cloth filter. I use a Chemex most mornings and my current coffee is ground relatively fine, like a typical drip grind. My guess was that the water would filter WAY too quickly through it, but in fact the opposite was true. I could've gone with a coarser grind. Even with a fairly fine grind I had no sediment in my cup.

I ground 30 grams of coffee and poured 450 grams of water through it. Even way overextracted it tasted great, a testament to using high quality beans.

It worked as intended and it fits great in the Mason jar. The silicone Ecojarz sippy converter works awesome, no drips.

All I need to add to this is a Neoprene jar coozie (which can be had online if you do a quick Google search) and a stainless steel Mason lid ring, which Ecojarz is making for pre-order (not sure when they're supposed to ship, though).

I have a little Bonavita travel electric kettle and I think the Mason jar setup will fit completely inside it (it sits at work, so I have yet to verify this), and if it does all I need is some coffee to get this working awesomely. Question is whether to grind coffee at home for a few days of travel (it's just weekend business stuff) or to just use the in-room coffee supplied in my own setup, avoiding the possibly gross in-room coffee machine?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

3. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

Oh, and since I posted this I've found that this is basically the exact same thing that is used in Vietnam for making coffee. They are about $8-$10 at Asian markets or on Amazon. I think they're called "phin" filters or brewers. Traditional ones have a metal handle riveted to the side but it's nothing a few mins with a Dremel tool couldn't take care of for portability.

4. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

That looks useful!

I thought I'd share my coffee EDC (literally).

It's a mug, french press and coffee canister (container screws into bottom) in one. With one fresh brew and the canister full, I'm good for 2 to 3 more coffees throughout the day.

[​IMG]

5. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

That is awesome. I have totally been going into my head thinking of a french press here at work. Then I was contemplating cowboy coffee. This sounds waaay better. And not so expensive?

6. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

wow, i want this.

7. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

I live the Mason jar thing. That'd fit in good in my Georgia home, I tell you what. It operates like a thing I have that's labeled a "Belgian Coffee Maker." It used to be my favorite cup of coffee, but has been usurped by the inexpensive and simple Smart Brew, which is just a cone filter holder that doesn't let the liquid out until it's put on top of a mug.

--Al

8. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

The one pictured was a bit more, but have purchased others for $26.

I have used mine for approx. 8 months straight and I'm very happy with it.

9. gear_queer

gear_queer Loaded Pockets

my boss was just talking about cowboy coffee the other day. weird i had never heard that expression util then and just saw it again on here.

10. Chiro75

Chiro75 Loaded Pockets

Al, if you Google "Clever coffee maker" you'll find links to two sizes of these things. I keep one at work for the occasions I have enough time to brew a cup. I went with the small one, but I recommend the large. The small is really small. Couldn't be any easier to use.

FACE likes this.
  11. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

You can go to good ole' YouTube and see videos of it being made. One word though...Eggshells! You have to use egg shells to keep the grit on the bottom of the pot!