1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

For 2020, the U/Pathfinder backpacks!

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Dec 27, 2018.

1. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

@HELM have you considered giving access to the front pocket with another zipper running parallel to the zipper on the right? This would allow access from either side and, if one wanted, run a pass through item like a jacket through there. I have the MSM Adapt which as this feature. I find it handy. If I knew how to add arrows I'd add them to show the zipper along the seam opposite the front panel zipper.

[​IMG]

Below is the MSM Adapt with pass through compartment. The inside is lined for hook and loop pouches which is nice for your V-Kits.
    [​IMG]

Just a thought. Can't wait for you next development regardless.

2. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

So zipper openings on both sides on that front pocket? That’s an easy do and we can test it out as a jacket pass through.

How would you guys utilize that front pocket? It will be walled with loop and is large enough to fit the Type 1 & 2 organizers but I’m just not quite all that happy with it.

3. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Yes, the front vertical pocket. The jacket pass through is exactly what i use it for on the MSM. I like the ability to sling over either shoulder and access the pocket.

Personally, I'd use you V-Kit or the 5.11 Pen and Light with hook and loop. I air travel almost every week and would keep air documents, receipts and head phones in there. Maybe some gum, battery charger and cord. Stuff you want quick access to walking through the airport. I agree the Type 1 & 2 don't work in there but that's ok.
    If it was lockable, would be a good spot for a passport.

4. ricepower

ricepower Empty Pockets

Can't wait for the pre-order ..

chaosmagnet likes this.
  5. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Peeps, I know this project has been on paused quite a bit due to the demand for the Evade 1.5 (never ending, we're on our 3rd production since the initial release in Dec!) but I wanted to let you know that I'm back working on the Pathfinder however with some final revisions to it. The final samples are being made right now and as soon as these samples are in I am going to post the photos and videos here. Thanks!

Pangari1, twin63, gaap master and 4 others like this.
  6. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Guys, while the new samples are being made, I got some questions and would appreciate your thoughts:

1. How important is it to have the pack be able to stand up on its own? If you have seen the photos of the Pathfinder, it has a curved bottom. Let me also share that in the fashion industry they look for a departure from standard structure and some I've spoken to like smooth lines and having to lean the pack against a wall or chair etc doesn't make a difference for them BUT in the EDC community it's different having seen and read as to how many prefer packs that can stand on it's own.

2. Weight - one thing I hear from others is the heft of the current Evades. You can't have a tough built, all that organization, a CCW compartment and the thick back panel, and still want light at the same time. At least I haven't figure that one out without the pack costing more. I'm doing what I can to keep this pack below 3 lbs but it really doesn't help with materials like 1050D ballistic nylon. I am looking at other some other new fabrics including those from Schoeller; met with them in January but have only manage to get back to a chat with them.

3. Load lifters - I tested the previous samples and there really is no need to incorporate these into a pack design like the Pathfinder.

4. I'm pretty minimalistic with my EDC and the Pathfinder works for my needs. For what you guys have seen in the earlier posts, does the Pathfinder need to be an EDC pack?

Here's a photo of the last Pathfinder sample with a more basic mesh back panel that I tested. It helped save some weight and it works for me since I wasn't planning to carry 38 lbs up another hill.

Thanks!.......Helm

Attached Files:

RED-FIVE, twin63 and sleestac like this.
  7. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Great to hear this is making progress!

Overall, I plan to use this as a business pack with this in mind below is my opinion to your questions.

1. I would like to see this a stand up on its own.

2. I need a rugged fabric, 1050D or something similar, but I understand the weight issues and accept it.

3. No load lifters needed.

4. I don't see the Pathfinder as an EDC pack as stated above.

Thanks for all you do!

twin63 likes this.
  8. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Appreciate this 'cos we both see this the same, it's not an EDC pack. FYI I am adding some side handles to the Pathfinder and for the new prototype I'm working to be able to put the shoulder straps away should one want to carry it using the side handles.

twin63 likes this.
  9. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

@HELM Here’s my 2 cents:

1. Personally, it’s not an issue if the pack doesn’t stand. If I’m not carrying it, it’s usually laying in the passenger seat or stowed in my office desk drawer until needed.

2. I’m not concerned with the weight. I’m looking to downsize my load out with this pack without sacrificing durability.

3. No load lifters.

4. Again, looking to downsize my EDC load out. My Evade 1.0 runs around 15-17 lbs on average. The Pathfinder should be perfect for what I’m moving towards.

Thanks for the update and for allowing us to participate in product development. There’s a reason I own so much A19 gear. ;)

10. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks man. That's what I am sensing these days that most are downsizing their EDC.

Btw I took the 1.5 up Raven's Rock Trail (part of the AT) this past weekend. It was another opportunity to further test the pack. I weighed it the night before and it was about 31.5 lbs. Up I went, struggling on some inclines. On the way down I was thinking to myself that I am out of shape 'cos that 31.5 feels heavier. When I got home I weight it again and it was a shade below 38 lbs! Nope, never again, once is enough!

twin63 and gaap master like this.
  11. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Impressive! I would need a pack mule to haul 38 lbs. :(

12. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Any updates on the pathfinder Design and release date?

13. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

@HELM so I’m a little late to giving input for this bag, but I’m looking for a bag that is minimal for car to office to car to home office. Prior to the pandemic I would just hold my water bottle and portfolio. Now I’ve been using a messenger bag because I need to bring more files from office to home. I don’t want too big of a bag and if it’s the right size, I’d like to keep using it when I’m 100% back in the office.

For me, I need the water bottle on the outside for quick access to it as I like the size and ability on my EV2. Occasionally I’ll carry a laptop but it’s not a priority. That said I like the laptop section organization. My thought on the “lite” version would be that the back panel had the laptop/tablet panel that you currently have as the back panel of the laptop compartment. That way this is a urban/office first bag.

I should note that I like the idea of the pass through on the front compartment. I’d just put quick access flat items and probably not use any organization. The loop material will allow people to customize it to their purpose.

Last edited by Soulriot, Aug 23, 2020
    BigGreenTick likes this.