1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

For 2020, the U/Pathfinder backpacks!

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

@HELM , I’ll buy almost any backpack that you can make in 1050D ballistic nylon as long as it has water bottle pockets that fit a nalgene.

Also I’m digging the new u-pathfinder lite aesthetic (think 23-25L is the sweet spot with a little overflow for the days items that you don’t anticipate carrying). but really think it’s going to need that laptop compartment added back in OR make the main compartment depth deeper by an inch or so and add a laptop sleeve in there (check out the samsonite kombi large backpack for what I’m referring to)

Last edited by Bimmer4me, Mar 2, 2019
    #41 Bimmer4me, Mar 2, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. hddeuce88

hddeuce88 Empty Pockets

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm interested to see what tweaks are made after field testing. To be honest, I would buy the pack today if it was released as the version in the video update. Personally, I like Helm's plans to keep it around 20L. The original Evade covers 90% of my EDC needs (including the rare event that I need to carry a laptop) and the 2.0 works great for travel. A 20L pack would be perfect for times when I still want to carry a few things but just don't need a larger pack.

Regardless of the final version, I'm sure it will be great. And I'm sure I'll buy one:rolleyes:.

4. 00bullitt

00bullitt Empty Pockets

Helm.....my .02 on the U-PF.
    I'm loving the EV2.0. I have been on the hunt for the perfect work/travel pack and the EV2.0 is it and has replaced my Camelback Urban Assault(Gen2) which I have reverted back to multiple times. Headed out the door to IWA for its maiden Intl. voyage.
    Absolutely love the shoulder straps. Been looking for straps on the ideal pack since getting an Arcteryx Khard.

For an EDC pack; 20-25 liters seems to be the ticket. I think modularity is the name of the game for EDC. A dedicated laptop compartment isnt very necessary IMO, but the ability to carry one if I want to is nice. Blue Force Gear back in the original days of packs and pre-dapper, made a padded velcro covered sleeve. It attached to velcro rails and was covered in velcro for pouch modularity.
    Tom Bihn also does their Cache on their sliding rail system. Maybe a modular padded laptop sleeve that docks or attaches to the Matroskya rings?

The modular velcro backed organizers are excellent. Maybe do one that zips open flat and can be removed and closed....easily transerrable to similar velcro backings or stored as a pouch if needed.

Bottle pouches are those things that are nice to have if you want them, but I feel they should be stowable or modular additions so they can be preferrentially added.
    At minimum, maybe some tight tweave pockets and the ability to attach a shock cord security strap to a D-Ring located above that could double as a caribiner attachment point that could clip into a loop on most water bottles/thermos.

Anyway.....my .02

Loving your work!

#44 00bullitt, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    sleestac and Happygodavid like this.
  5. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the update @HELM. I like where this is going. My thoughts:
    20-23L is perfect.
    2 compression straps not necessary due to the smaller size. One up higher would be fine or even none. The issue is accessing pockets behind the straps.
    The interior is great. Using the EV2 system inside and the EV2 harness is great news.
    The magnetic bottle system is fine. If you use it often, the pouch stays open for what you need. Pressing the magnets back together isn't a big deal. Some may say it is but I think those are the minority.

This boils down to what you want to use the bag for. If you want to use as a "business" pack, you need a dedicated laptop compartment. If you are looking for a minimal EDC pack, like a larger Chio, the UP Lite works.

Personally, I would want both but that is me. I would like a business pack for weekly air travel. I'd like the UP Lite for those long weekend day trips when the Chio is packed solid.

I'm in for whatever you come up with. Thanks.

6. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

@HELM, Man, I kinda think you shouldn't mess with a good thing....that first prototype with the water bottle pockets seems perfect to me....assuming you lock in the front vertical admin pocket, i say sell it as is :D

Jjb5730 likes this.
  7. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Loaded Pockets

Liking the look of this. If I could have this for work and my 2.0 for weekend/one bag travel, I’d be set.

8. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

How much does the pathfinder weigh empty? I feel like you should aim for about 2.5lbs dry and that will guide you on how to design the laptop compartment and fabric chooses. The 1050d ballistic nylon is amazing, it's what I bought for my EV2, but its very heavy too.

I would without question lose the compression straps and load lifters, it's not needed on a bad this size.

The admin section... I'm with you, I really like the size vertical zipper look. Have you looked at the Evergoods CPL24 and Recycled Firefighter 24H for inspiration. Both have similar setups, I believe the 24H has a few pocket dividers, but the CPL24 is completely open. For me, I don't think you need a complex admin panel, it just needs to have enough space to fit things even what the main section is full.

9. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Based on the comments, I think I may be in the minority because I really like the look of the Pathfinder Lite. For me, I think 18-22L is a sweet spot for edc.

For me water bottle pockets are a must. A 24oz hydroflask goes with me everywhere. A taller pocket would be nice for better securing, but not a necessity.

Like like that the Lite does not have a dedicated laptop pocket. The only time I carry a laptop is for travel and for that I use the EV2. The side pocket, in my opinion is nice because it could be used for a tablet or a conceal carry depending on preference.

As far as organization, it would be nice if the same panels used in the EV2 or that fit in the Chio worked. That being said, I think the solution of the organization in the side pockets would also work. Maybe you could use elastic slots like the type 2 panel in one of the side pockets, which would better adapt and hold different size flashlights, multitools, knives, etc. I did not notice in the video, will there be a key clip on one of the organizer pockets? If possible I think that would be nice.

Overall, I really like the look of the Pathfinder Lite and am now looking forward to it.

#49 SOS24, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
  10. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

You have company!;) I like what I've seen in pics of the prototype. I always carry water but rarely carry a laptop. Also, 18-22L is even more appealing to me at the moment. I injured my back and am having trouble carrying my Evade. I know I could remove some gear, but that wouldn't give me the justification to buy a new pack.:rolleyes: Something around 20L would help me limit what I can carry (without being too small) and give me a grab and go option for when I don't need either the Evade or EV2.

SOS24 likes this.
  11. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Loaded Pockets

I'm on the other end of the last 2 posts. I want the laptop compartment for when I need it. I would buy that bag today, heck I'll buy that first prototype lol. Anxiously awaiting this pack..it's ideal for me with the laptop compartment. I'm definitely in to be on the top of the list when this is ready!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I only carry a laptop for travel too, but the edc bag i typically carry has a laptop compartment like the prototype in the video and I love it. Works great to carry a lunch or papers, so things don't bounce around or get lost in a the main compartment. The side pocket wouldn't be useful at all and would only add extra weight for me.

13. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey guys just a heads up on some intel I'm hearing concerning the Pathfinder Project!

Since Helm has announced the Preorder for the Evade1.5 and 1.5 "Lite" packs many of us may be wondering about the status of the Pathfinder Series packs. It does appear obvious that the final Evade 1.5 Series Project has temporarily upstaged the Pathfinder Project for the moment and until further notice.

He recently made some comments on his FB page answering questions concerning when he might get back to the Pathfinder Project...

(7/15/19)
    "I wish I can get you a firm answer but I can’t right now. The reason why I launched the EV1.5 first is because of the feedback and request we’ve gotten and the fact that I decided to close the Evade circle first before moving on to the next product group. But most importantly I am getting swamped with contract work right and I’m so limited for production space. The next few weeks and months are going to be none stop for us but as soon as I can see an opening, I will let everyone know. Appreciate the patience."- Helm

also...
    "I just replied to someone on this thread about the status of the Pathfinder. I’m tight for production space right now due to work (some coming out from Singapore too) so I had to make the call on the EV1.5 first. As soon as I can see any opening I will revert on the Pathfinder. The real work always screws up the stuff I’m more passionate about." - Helm

twin63 likes this.
  14. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting the update. I had been hoping to see the Pathfinder Lite soon, but figured it was getting pushed. I did preorder a Evade 1.5 Lite to see if that works.

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  15. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm glad the Pathfinder Series is still in the pipeline. I don't envy Helm right now. He has to be burning the midnight oil to make all of this happen while handling a full schedule with his day job. I may pick up an EV 1.5 Lite in the interim, but am looking forward to the eventual release of the Pathfinder packs.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  16. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Gang, now that we've got the Evade 1.5 moving along, on to the next thing........re-visiting the PATHFINDERS.

No release dates have been determined just yet but I will be showcasing them at SHOT next month. I still need to get more work and travel hours on these before final tweaks. For now I just want to take a nice break over the holidays and veg! It has been quite the ride this year!

Thanks all and Merry Xmas!

Helm

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

sleestac, GoBliNuke, twin63 and 3 others like this.
  17. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Thank you Helm! That sounds like a great idea! You guys have earned it many times over!

I know a lot of us have been really appreciating all the awesome A19 gear this year, and I have enjoyed sharing in all the discussions with everyone. Thanks again Helm for putting your all into these projects for us!

Enjoy the rest!

RF

twin63 and Bimmer4me like this.
  18. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Great news! I’ve been looking forward to these moving closer to production. Looks like they will be worth the wait.

RED-FIVE and HELM like this.
  19. sleestac

sleestac Loaded Pockets

Count me in on this one

twin63 and RED-FIVE like this.
  20. capt._dan

capt._dan Empty Pockets

This is exactly what I am looking for! I love everything about my evades, I just need something that looks a little more professional on occasions. Something to use when I go to corporate meetings.

For the most part I live in my vehicle and my 1.5 lives right next to me in the passenger's seat. I have easy access to everything. The front admin pocket with the type 1 is spot on to what I need. I carry my mobile workstation 70% of the time and it is a perfect fit once I removed the cushion from the laptop compartment so nothing smaller for me than the current 1.5 would work for me.

I carry my tablet in a sleeve type pouch that holds a keyboard, a pen and notebook along with some business cards and glasses. This is normally what goes with me when I am visiting customers and my evade stays in the truck.

I do like to have the ability to carry a small water bottle but love the look of the bag without the pockets. Maybe a gusseted pocket on the right side that would hold a 16.9 oz would be sufficient for me.

I look forward to what you come up with. Happy next year!

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk