1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Food Bars for long term storage?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by AirMech74, May 5, 2012.

1. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

The last time me and my buddy went to REI and the local surplus store and we got some MH and some Aqua Blox

We then cooked it all with his Jetboil stove. Sure made for an interesting afternoon cookout.

2. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Interesting in a good way? ...or interesting in a "Well, never do that again." sort of way?

3. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Several of you have shared some good, detailed information. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

When it comes to secondary ways to boil water I have two options. Firstly I bought the trusty old Esbit cookset the one that uses the Hexamine fuel tabs.

[​IMG]

However I've recently discovered a newcomer to the market...Folding Firebox.
    [​IMG]
    www.foldingfirebox.com
    As you can see it folds down to almost nothing. and will burn pretty much any fuel out there. I like the idea that I can use dead wood from my yard so I have an almost endless supply. :)

(I'm not connected with either company, I just like 'em!)

5. FunctionMode

FunctionMode Loaded Pockets

I really like mayday food bars

They taste pretty good(kinda like pie crust), don't make you thirsty, and have tons of nutritional value.

iirc they have a 5 year shelf life

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never tried any of those folding style cookers but they seem to be a good option. I used to cook on a large coffee can with a big hole cut in one side and it was a lot cheaper. Of course it's hard to fold up and pack a coffee can.....

7. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

It was more a learning experience. My buddy had just got his Jetboil and was itching to use it. I was really interested in how the MH would taste (never had any before then) with the retort water (keeps for 5 years as well).

Can't beat an Esbit stove and a few fuel tabs. Light and compact.

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Since the topic has widened to emergency food requiring boiling water (and you've got to have a reliable means to boil) ...
    Contemplated since first seeing about six months ago, and you reminded me. I see they've added some options, and the ability to buy in preconfigured packages. Haven't had a chance to explore each in detail ... can you speak to the value/useability of the options. Do they add measurably to the utility of the stove, or do they fall under the heading, Nice, but not necessary. Another thing ... I can't find the base stove's weight anywhere. It's for a Jeep kit, so its modest weight won't be issue, but would still like to know. Do you happen to know?

Thanks!

9. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

My apologies to AirMech74 I'll keep the hijack short.

Base unit weight 2.0lbs
    1, Grill plate, is useful for grilling steaks, fish, sausages, burgers, making grilled cheese etc. Also allows the FF to be laid on it side for a side feed setup (well worth it)
    2, Boil plate, is designed to concentrate the heat onto your cup for a faster boil (OK if your cup fits)
    3, Extra firesticks, Invaluable for those times when you want to make Smores, kebabs oh hell there are too many uses to list here I said I'd keep the hijack short. :) (Priceless)
    My wife loves the simplicity of the unit...that's saying something.

Hope this helps,
    Malc.

10. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks for indulging my quick detour. Back to bars and related.

11. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Okay, I don't have a BOB put together at the moment. Many many reasons why but mostly laziness and the fact that I have most of what I might need in an emergency in my car already. But here is my 2 cents when it comes to food:

Most people go for super long lasting, but often awful tasting "survival food" When I get my bag together I plan on putting in stuff I use every day. For example granola bars, oatmeal packs, ordinary tea bags, peanut butter, etc. Then instead of simply forgetting about the bag every time I buy an item that is in the bag I will switch the one in the bag for the new one. I can't imagine this would take much time if the bag is packed right. The only draw back that I can think of is your load out might weigh a little more, but you should save a lot of money and your BOB foods will always be as fresh as possible

12. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

^^^ Agree with Kertap's broad message ... include food items that you will eat/enjoy. Emergency food shouldn't be torture. :)

13. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

+1 Don't forget ramen noodles. Tasty, lightweight, cost next to nothing, and keep a long time. I'm pretty sure the first ramen noodle packages from the Ming Dynasty are still edible if you should run across some.

whoozle and xbanker like this.
  14. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

You're right. I was cleaning out the pantry the other week and found a very old packet so I thought what the hell I cooked them up and the tasted as good as those fresh from the store. The only reason I don't include them in supplies is that they are very high in sodium. Add in the fact my wife can't stand them (too many while in college :))

15. DisrupTer911

DisrupTer911 Loaded Pockets

Those raman noodles are super high in sodium if that matters to you, so be prepared to be thirsty if that's all your eating...

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I could not remember...until tonight, but this is the bars I wanted to show you.
    I introduce...the Tactical Sammich!

whoozle likes this.
  17. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

Are those the same as the those offered by the Epicenter? For some reason the vid wouldn't play for me.

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm pretty sure its satire. Try Youtube...Tactical Sammich