1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding knives in Canada

Discussion in 'Knives' started by JOE68, Mar 3, 2018.

1. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Recently folding knives in Canada took a seriously big cash spike.
    The importation of basically any folding knife that can be manipulated to "open with the flick of a wrist" can be confiscated.
    Right now any knife supplier who has stock can pretty much sell at whatever price point they want because you can't import certain knives without the possibility of confiscation.
    I'm not completely sure how we managed to get this far, but the outcome of this will certainly hurt certain companies.
    And because of this little development, I'm betting that EDC sized fixed blades will also take a price hike because they will become popular for carry.

Notification of Canadian International Trade Tribunal Decision on Centrifugal Opening Knives
    Customs Notice 18-01
    Ottawa, January 5, 2018

1. This Notice is to advise interested parties that the Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has rendered a decision in Appeal No. AP-2017-012, T. LaPlante v. President of the Canada Border Services Agency regarding knives which open automatically by centrifugal force (centrifugal knives).

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT’s recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a: knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and

b:it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

3. Please be advised that the CBSA will immediately prohibit the importation of all knives that open as per the CITT’s decision. For more detailed information concerning the decision, please consult the decision posted on the Tribunal’s website at: CITT Appeal No. AP-2017-012.

4. For further information regarding the interpretation of the CITT’s decision, please contact:

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Please tell me that tourists entering Canada for short duration -- e.g., hiking, backpacking, fishing, etc. -- are not going to have their personal knives confiscated at the border? Although I suspect that is too much to hope for!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That excludes Canada from the list of countries that I wanted to retire in. And there were only the US and Canada on it. The US for personal reasons, but they have been excluded some good while ago. Now Canada goes bananas in the other direction. But I’m sure this is about to come in my home country too. God bless the painfully offended and scared.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener.

4. colin.p

colin.p Loaded Pockets

Unfortunately, you will have to leave your knives at home if you come up here. Also, I fear that it is only the tip of the iceberg and all "dangerous" knives (the CBSA gets to decide all on their own as to what that is) will be banned. I fully expect that fixed blades are next. Looks like our French overlords are adopting British knife laws.

Ken Badgley likes this.
  5. Ken Badgley

Ken Badgley Loaded Pockets

I'm Canadian and I'm really choked with is new law. Our government under Trudeau is the pits.

6. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

The Criminal Code of Canada always maintained that a knife was not a weapon until used or intended as such, so I think most fixed blades will be OK in the end.
    "Gravity knives" "automatics" and "butterfly knives" have always been on the prohibited list.
    But the wording now has it that basically ANY knife that can be opened one handed is a "gravity knife".
    It is my opinion that this will be the start of extremely restrictive laws within Canada for a lot of things.
    In my opinion the persons now in charge of making/designing/implementing these changes were the ones who grew up in an urban environment and weren't using knives on a regular basis as a tool, and their only real exposure to knives is what they see on the TV/movies
    To these kinds of people even carrying a SAK is beyond the norm unless you are heading on a hike.

At one point in the 50s or 60s a plan was drawn up for the invasion of Canada by the US but was shelved because they feared a protracted guerrilla war due to the fact that the outdoors people of Canada might "go to bush" and be problematic.
    Guess you guys in the US should dust off that plan and head this way because it sounds like those in power have forgotten our heritage.

Oh well, I'll only be able to buy from Canadian companies that have stock left as a guarantee to get any knives, but it looks like my days of folding knife purchases has come to an end.

Ken Badgley likes this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Man am I glad that my draft lottery number during Vietnam was so high that I wasn't even tempted to 'relocate' to Canada! On the plus side, guess the days of black flies and noseeums from my youth are behind me...

Fortunately Molson, Labatt's, etc are available at some places where I live now. Although no one seems to carry Cinci nor O'Keefe... Oh well. Plenty of microbrews!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Ken Badgley and colin.p like this.
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

When driving into Canada, you can locker check a hand gun before clearing the border check. I wonder if the same will apply for folding knives?

My last drive from Washington state to BC, I was asked more than once if I had a firearm with the explanation it was illegal to import into Canada a firearm. I was probably being stereotyped by the Canadians since I am from Texas.

9. nmpops

nmpops Loaded Pockets

I assume a SAK or a Case Medium Srockman are GTG.

10. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Today, sure. Tomorrow is another day, and another story.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

Well that depends on whether or not you can open them one handed by the wording.
    If you can, then no importation.
    I remember a time when the Kershaw Leek was available, people wanted it engraved, and a certain store was "obligated to report and not accept the knife" because it was an assisted opener.
    Non knife people can't tell the difference between an automatic, assisted, flipper or what have you.
    And some of these people also wonder why on earth you NEED a knife in the first place.
    Most time these are also the ones who ask if someone has something they can use to cut something.

12. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

If I ran across those people more often, I swear I'd carry a spoon to hand them when they asked.

Moose and Moshe ben David like this.
  13. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

As much as I love to expound the crap that is our current 'leadership', this was not a government decision. It was a unilateral decision by the CBSA based on a very flawed ruling by a different indepentant trade tribunal. While both do 'report' to the actual government, neither the trade ruling nor the CBSA memorandum had anything to do with any changes to gov't policy or changes to law.

The problem here is that this CBSA update has absolutely nothing to do with the criminal code. Any references to the code by the CBSA are literally nothing more than their individual interpretation of the code to make it fit the way they wish to empower themselves.

There have been absolutely no changes to the way the courts interpret the criminal code - nor in the way the code iself is written, the only changes are that the way the CBSA chooses to enforce them - not that the CBSA is part of either the police enforcement or legal systems in any way, shape, or form...

Were we actually breaking the law by trying to import illegal weapons, the worst the CBSA could do to us is present the evidence to the RCMP who would then conduct a proper legal investigation and then charge us under the appropriate criminal code for processing by the court system. But, since these knives are not actually illegal, the RCMP and courts would do nothing and eventually the CBSA would get slapped on the wrist for wasting their time. So instead of actually following the rule of law, the CBSA is sidestepping the legal process and not letting itself get drawn into an actual legal discussion with anyone in the legal system...

14. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out in the end.
    The CCC will have to be consulted at some point in order to lend any credence to the CBSA confiscating folding knives.
    I am going to have to assume that several companies will get together and take this to a higher court because it will directly affect their bottom line.
    Going to be a very interesting chain of events.
    Any knife buying for me in the near future until this is squared away will have to be from Canada because I'm not risking any confiscations

15. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

That Movie Guy, colin.p and Moose like this.
  16. sewer_rat

sewer_rat Loaded Pockets

Windsor resident here. We're basically across a small river from Detroit so crossing borders is something I do alot. Right now, the situation with knives crossing from the U.S. as an American or Canadian while carrying has generally been:

If you're carrying a knife that is in the opinion of the customs officer not a "utility knife" there will be a problem. SAKs and Multitools are pretty much what they consider utility. You can't carry a fixed blade but you can have one in your vehicle if it is secured and not readily accessible from the passenger seats. Spydercos, knives with thumbstuds, the wave system, etc. are a problem.

I will always switch out my EDC knife before crossing the border with a SAK or 'gentleman's folder'. I tick off too many boxes in suspicious to hope for leniency or understanding.

While in Canada, I carry a Spyderco Para 3 or something similiar everyday which is taking a chance that it will get noticed and I'll get stopped and questioned. It's technically not illegal to carry them but it gives an officer a reason to take a second look or spend the time asking questions. I use knives everyday and a SAK or such would not perform the way I require a cutting tool to perform.

If you're camping or hiking in Canada, put the knives in your pack. Inform the Customs Officer you have them and where or not, not many cars are pulled over for a secondary inspection unless there's a reason. If you don't say anything and you get pulled aside, if your car is full of camping gear there shouldn't be a problem unless you're bringing something outrageous with you.

17. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

Bet my bottom dollar that every CBSA agent manning a post along the border has a OHO knife on there person at all times. Like any respectable LEO in this country.

Moshe ben David and sewer_rat like this.