1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding knife with longer handle?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ninjastyle, Dec 30, 2018.

1. ninjastyle

ninjastyle Empty Pockets

I’m looking for a folding knife with a slightly longer handle. Nothing ridiculous, maybe something like the Kershaw Barge. If it has an assisted opening mechanism all the better. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

2. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Can try the PM2 the handle is slightly larger giving it a good handle without a overly large blade. This is the only pic i could find in a pinch i have slightly wide hands and the knife fits well. I wear large sized gloves because that what my company supplies and I like a tighter fit. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That Movie Guy likes this.
  3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Longer than...?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

4. ninjastyle

ninjastyle Empty Pockets

With folding knives generally, the handle is approximately as long as the blade, perhaps just a little bit more. For a 3” blade, generally the handle might be like 4”. I’m looking for a handle that is more like >2” longer than the blade.

5. JIM

JIM Loaded Pockets

Coldsteel AK-47 XHP?

6. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Emerson CQC-14.

7. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Military, really nice sized handle and excellent blade geometry

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

From what I remember the Böker Plus Stingray https://www.boker.de/taschenmesser/boeker-plus/taktische-einsatzmesser/stingray-vg-10-01bo148 has a long a** handle. But you gotta live with a 4“ blade there. If you need the blade at 3“ for legal reasons, you will find someone to shorten it properly for you.
    All over all, this is a great knife that comes at a price point of around 200, which is very ok. Downside, you’d need to find some, as it’s out of production.

[EDIT] Seems Amazon Germany has still two pieces in stock. [/EDIT]

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

#8 ThaMac, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, I have had this issue, being stuck with a non locking 3" blade for EDC purposes and having large hands, finding a knife longer than 4" is almost impossible. The Spyderco PITS does fits the bill though and what with it's anti accidental folding design features, it's the best knife I've found.

Moose likes this.
  10. DesertDuck

DesertDuck Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Spyderco PM2. It isn't ridiculously huge but the handle has plenty of purchase for your hand, and if you want to "choke up" on the blade for more delicate work there is a really nice finger choil at the base of the blade.

The compression lock they use is nice and solid as well. Hard to accidentally close.

11. ninjastyle

ninjastyle Empty Pockets

Thanks everyone. These are some nice leads. Glad to see there are others with the same problem!

12. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Benchmade 940

13. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel Voyager in L and XL.

Tbzbbt

Moose likes this.
  14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Obviously most manufacturers are trying maximize their blade length to folded length ratio, so this a tall order, but there are exceptions due to lock design and legality. As several have mentioned above Cold Steel Tri-ad locks tend to have longer handles due to their specialized lock design (generally know as strongest in the class) but most are ~1.5" longer than the blade. The Cold Steel 4Max (considered the strongest production folder) has the 2" spread with 4" blade and 6" handle, but is 'ridiculous' to most folks. The Boker Plus XL Drop (Chad Los Banos), which should be a UK-legal slipjoint with <3" edge, has a 5" handle (4.5" scales) including the finger choil, which is also an ideal safety feature for a non-locker.

Adahn likes this.
  15. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

According to a UK stockist, the XL isn't quite legal to carry here. I have got the previous XS model which is certainly legal to carry, well going by the length of the actual cutting edge, some cops may disagree if they went for tip to handle though.

The handle on the XS is long enough than most, I have no complaints on that aspect, it's just that the back spring is rather strong so one hand opening is tricky compared to the Spyderco PITS.

Moose likes this.
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

By my ruler, the edge portion is less than 3", although I wonder if the technicality is to include the curve of the edge - ie, measuring the circumference of the edge with a string.... then maybe it could get >3"? Really like the combo of the strong spring/detent, 90-degree detent, and finger choil blocker - its the safest slip joint I've used so far. Definitely requires a heavier touch for one handed opening/closing, but doesn't bother me once used to it, and well worth the safety factor for me. The thing I don't like though, is that with full steel liners, it seems built tough and heavy in the handle, but that doesn't match the thin hollow grind of the blade - at this weight, I wish it were a hard-use knife.

Anyways, no comparison your PITS.... that's in a whole different class and beautiful knife.

Moose likes this.
  17. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm only going by the info from this seller, for the XL they only state the blade length (8.3) so I've no idea on what the actually cutting edge maybe.

The XS blade length is 7.8 and the cutting edge is 6.7 so I'm assuming that the XL must be over the legal limit whatever way you look at it.

https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-xs-drop-point

https://www.heinnie.com/boker-plus-xl-drop-34645

Moose likes this.
  18. streak

streak Loaded Pockets

I also wear large size gloves and have used this large honey badger while wearing them. Ball bearing flipper allows for easy opening wearing gloves.
    Blade length is 3.5", cutting edge excluding choil is 3" and the handle is 4.75".
    Here are 2 pics showing gripping just the handle and forward grip using the choil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That Movie Guy and Lateck like this.
  19. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

That second link says:

Which is what I understood - cutting edge must be 3"/76mm or less.

I personally think it's 74mm of cutting edge or 2.91"... anyways, certainly less than 76mm

[​IMG]

Here's my retailer's spec (which is off too - 2.75"):
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plus-Chad-Los-Banos-XL-Drop--90320

Moose likes this.
  20. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, "cutting edge" is the actual wording that's used in law.

I'm wondering if they used say a piece of string to follow the curve of the blade then measured that, that would be the most accurate way I guess.

Anyone else in the UK have/carry this knife?

Moose likes this.