1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding Knife for Food Prep

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

Who uses their folding knife for food prep. Something like a ZT or Kershaw flipper knife? I’m curious as to the cleaning process. Say I use it for food prep and clean it afterwards. Using a normal dish washing method. Kitchen sink with dish washing detergent. Do I need to disassemble and oil it every night? Or is just a normal wash and towel dry ok? Will this screw up the pivot or washers i there? Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Has anyone ever recommended an Opinel for food prep?

Let me be the first then....#8 or even #9. $20 and legendary and VERY well suited for foodwork. Probabbly more so than those you ask about.

Cut. Wash the blade, dry it. Close it up.

Just sayin’.

3. MAD777

MAD777 Loaded Pockets

While backpacking, I use an Opinel #6 for food prep. I have a larger camp knife for other duties. At home, I have a reasonably good set of kitchen knives.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

garza and HeadOffice like this.
  4. Mark Patton

I know about Opinel. But I sometimes am wanting to just take my ZT and use that. If I have to go get a special knife such as the Opinel, I might as well just pick up a kitchen knife.

5. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

I have both No 6 & 8 Opinels for food prep. If I need something larger I'd use my bushcraft knife but it may not be clean enough for food and i don't want grease etc. put back on the knife (too hard to clean unless I strip it down when I get back). The right tool for the right job...

6. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I use my folder all the time when BBQing because I keep it sharp. Honestly I keep it pretty clean without getting a bunch of food down in the handle but if it happens I just take it apart and clean it good with alcohol wipes. I keep it lubed with olive oil so if something does get on the food I don't care.

7. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

While at work (all day outside) I just use my mora for everything. Cutting ropes, making my lunch etc. I wouldn't worry too much about germs.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

8. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Why??????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use all of my folders for food prep (carbon and stainless). I just wash them with dish detergent and water and dry them just like a kitchen knife. Every three months or so I put a drop of Nano Oil into the pivots and they are good to go....no babying whatsoever and I've had no trouble at all.

twin63 and Mark Patton like this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Depending on which knife I have with me (mostly how clean it is) I 'might' use it for slicing say fruit or even food if I'm eating out.

In general though I've at times dedicated an Opinel #8 or #6 for these tasks -- and these are the SS blade versions. I've been sort of turned off lately by my Opinels as I found rather suddenly a few months back when weather changed that the wood swelled up resulting in trouble using them.

Since then I for a while dedicated a Case Slimline Trapper with SS for food prep. I've now settled on Mercator 'Otter' lock back knives with SS blades and metal handles. I have two of them in a two-sleeve pocket organizer; one with black handle and one with copper handle. These are slim, sharp, and glide through steak etc. Blades are 3.5" and just wonderful carry and even for slicing through larger apples.

L'chaim and bon appétit!

Moshe ben David

11. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I use whatever knife I have on me, assuming the blade is long enough. I clean the blade with soap and water, rinse it off, wipe it dry, and put it back in my pocket. I rarely get anything on or in the handle.

reppans and Mark Patton like this.
  12. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

I've relegated my PM2 to food prep, why not. Prolly overkill but food prep is the most frequent cutting task for my knives in everyday life. And since i don't use knives much elsewhere other than at home, it'd be plain silly to EDC such a full-sized folder (and then never get to use it) when leaving the house. Since i still like to carry a knife (even though i don't get to use it out of house), i EDC something smaller and lighter like a Delica or Utilizer 2.0 which are much fun to carry around as they disappear in the pocket and from one's mind, or i'd carry a Vinox Mini Champ instead. Back on topic:

I had Opinel #8 and #9 too, olive wood. Seemed like fragile wood. They feel great in hands, warm, ergonomic. A great folding knife for food prep is the Endura FRN. I'd be worried about water (and else) staying stuck in the handle or liners, so maybe folding knives aren't such a great replacement in the kitchen after all!

A kitchen knife should be convenient to resharpen, easy/fast to clean, and stainless, and there shouldn't be any concern leaving it in the water sink for several days under water. A folder with an open construction would meet these criteria, the Endura doesn't.

13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I just use kitchen knives at home - they're more efficiently batched cleaned than my EDC knife which is cleaned after every use. Away from home, I try to keep my folder's handle higher than the edge so gravity keeps the gunk away from the pivot/handle. I do EDC soap and water, but that's usually too much of a pain, or precious to waste, for cleaning a blade, so I use a drop or two of Everclear (my EDC vodka, stove fuel, heater, and general purpose solvent/cleaner/sterilizer) and a paper towel/bandanna... doesn't get any faster, easier, or cleaner than that.

14. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

I do not use a folder for food prep. I use the smallest kitchen knife of them all, the SanYouGo.

I am considering the Boker Magnum Outdoor Cuisine III tho...

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

15. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

In the kitchen I use my kitchen knives but once I'm in the camp then my Yojimbo is my go-to knife for everything.

16. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Nah. I would rather use a kitchen knife. I've used one at s restaurant a few times but not for food prep.

17. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

^^^You would NOT make the cut as my ideal housemate! LOL

(Seriously why would you want to leave any knife in sinkwater for several days?)

18. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Why would you carry a folder with the specific intention of using it for food prep? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious. IMO if you're needing a knife for food prep that often, pick up a small kitchen knife with a sheath. They're designed for food so they don't have little gaps that gunk can get in and fester and they're not gonna be damaged by soapy water.

I rarely use a pocket knife for food prep. The only time I do is if I'm eating an apple because my crappy teeth can't handle chomping an apple. I'll use my SAK spartan and wipe it down with an alcohol wipe before and after. I try and avoid it though because I don't want the juice to damage the walnut scales

Moshe ben David and kreisler like this.
  19. kreisler

kreisler Loaded Pockets

:p LOL
    ( Personally i wouldn't, not with my folders. But i did it before with chef knives which were gunked up with dried substances, say egg :bundle-of-joy_throwvertical:, and one really had to let water soak and soften the dried gunk for a few hours. And one never knows who from the household would be too lazy and just leave/forget the folder in the dishwater over night and longer, while i am gone on a trip. Of course in the kitchen i primarily use kitchen knives, but elsewhere in the house i'd use a PM2 or Techno for food prep, also because it's fun and i get to use my HQ knives on the day. Apples, oranges, tomatoes, tangerines, bread, also onions. Sometimes i would even bring the PM2 folder to the kitchen and use it instead of the kitchen knife, for the heck of it. )

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. Mark Patton

People keep asking “why”? I just want to. I have plenty of kitchen knives. Like one poster above with the PM2, I just want to use my folders since I bought them and have them. Just curious if the constant soap and water after use will ruin the pivot. Or if it is expected to break the knife down after each use to clean it? If so, I probably wouldn’t use them for food prep too often. Do those that use their folders often for food prep have to oil the pivot after each use/wash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk