1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding hand fan recommendations?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Jack_Wood, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

So I'm looking for a good, EDC-worthy folding fan. Light, compact, durable, plain.

I first picked up the habit from a friend of mine. He'd gone on a trip to China, and when he got back he had the habit, when it was hot, of carrying around a little folding fan he'd bought there. I run hot all the time, and sweat constantly and voluminously, so I decided to try it. I hate the buzz that portable electric fans make, I hate that they require batteries, and that every one I've found was junk that stopped working in less than two summers. So overall it seemed like a great solution.

But here's the rub: every fan I've found in local shops was either poorly made and flimsy, or was bulkier and heavier than I'd like to EDC. Some especially talented specimens were both. This doesn't even bring up that most are far more decorative than I'd like. My friend's was simple wood (bamboo I imagine) and plain black silk, but I think even on that one the joint eventually wore through and the thing collapsed.

Amazon turns up a bewildering array of results, and I'm hesitant to buy one at random with no real clue how durable or light it is. I'm almost to the point where I want to make one of my own out of ripstop nylon, but I don't have a clue how I'd acquire or make slats

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

My experience with these fans is that they all seem to be somewhat flimsy. I live in Japan where these fans are everywhere and I've looked at a lot of them. My wife even has a couple. Her's are wood frame with heavy stock paper as the "fan" portion. These seem to be a throw-away type deal. Perhaps a little creative ingenuity and one could be built, otherwise, I'd say find one that suits your design liking and buy it.

3. Gamble

Gamble Loaded Pockets

Maybe someone will make one with laser cut TI slats and coyote brown nylon. I would get one of those for sure. it'd be great with a trit slot at the end of each blade so fanning in the dark would be awesome.

trojansteel likes this.
  4. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

Hahaha. I'm not quite sure that's a joke or not, because I've honestly been thinking about looking into having somebody laser cut Ti slats.

I'm no materials engineer, but I bet they could be skeletonized for lightness and retain sufficient strength and stiffness. I'd go with cuben fiber though (despite it's milky-upscale-garbage-bag aspect), for maximum lightness, strength, and modern-materials vs venerable-design dissonance.

5. thwippa
    • In Omnia Paratus

thwippa Loaded Pockets

6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Exactly what I was going to suggest! Fighting fans are awesome! :-P I'm not sure how small they run though. The ones my academy uses are fairly large.

7. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I have a folding hand fan that I got a yard sale for ten cents. I liked it because it was plain white paper (as opposed to having a design of some kind) w/bamboo ribs.

8. Jack_Wood

Jack_Wood Loaded Pockets

... weighs about one pound
    I may think of myself as a burly guy, but I think 1 pound gets heavy awfully quickly for anybody if you're holding it in the air and waving it around vigorously. I'd also like to avoid even the low potential for hassle of a concealed weapons charge. And of course, 14 inches long is a bit much. Looking at the other offerings there, that weight and size seems fairly typical, though there's a bamboo based one that's a mere 8 oz. Overall quite cool, but I think not meant for EDC.

9. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

We have a large Chinatown here, and I've looked at bunches. Our church isn't air conditioned and my high blood pressure meds make me pass out if I get too hot. I found one I like that wasn't flimsy. It has some nice scroll work on the bamboo. Hated the design of course. It was some kind of dragon thing. I just spray painted it black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

If you are hot, you can wet your hair and clothings regularly.

11. pirran

pirran Empty Pockets

Jack did you ever find a suitable fan, or manage to get that Ti fan made up? I am on a similar mission to you, encountering similar problems......cheers