1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding diagonal cutters

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, May 2, 2018.

1. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

The biggest advantage of the micro diagonal cutters is they exemplify the "do one thing very well" philosophy of a purpose built tool and usually that works out better than the "jack of all trades master of none" route that a MT goes down. Blasphemy I know , but dedicated tools tend to work better. A MT allows you to cover a wider range of unexpected situations.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Im not sure the dime is going to do what I need it to, I'd still much rather have a real pair of diagonal cutters. To that end, I have a multi stage plan:

1. Carry a small pair of diagonal cutters in my maxpedition sheath with my surge. This is the best option, but I don't always feel like carrying that extra pound on my belt.

2. Pick up a Gerber dime, chop the tips of the pliers off. This can easily ride in my pocket everyday for when I'm not carrying my surge.

3. Find a second pair of small cutters, attempt to cut the handles off and shape them so that I can replace the pliers in the dime with these cutters. I'm not sure if I can pull this one off or not with the power tools I have at my disposal.

4. Keep looking around and hopefully someone will eventually make what I'm looking for. Submit suggestions to Leatherman, Gerber and SOG.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Dragon1976 likes this.
  3. bobrip

bobrip Loaded Pockets

I just used a Leatherman Micra to cut a 10 gauge stranded wire. Then I used it to strip the insulation off. You could cut off the tips of the Micra and make a diagonal cutter. Any thoughts on this?

4. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

The dime is Handy, but it is a light use tool. It's not incredibly strong and I'd also be a bit worried the cutters are big enough for larger zipties. At $13 it'd be worth a shot for me.

5. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

I think you would be making a by-pass cutter rather than a diagonal cutter.

As for the Gerber Dime, I have one laying here on my desk. It does not impress me.

6. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I decided to pass on the Gerber dime for now. Instead, I started working on making my own.

A while back I picked up a small pair of flush cut pliers at harbor freight. They are awesome at cutting zip ties, and unlike my small diagonal cutters, the handles are flat, which will make them easier to work with.

I was looking through a box of old knives and crap and I found two small multitools that will be perfect for this project. They are like a Leatherman Micra in size and form factor, but instead of scissors, they have super crappy pliers with cutters that just won't cut anything. The other tools all suck as well. I've had these for at least 20 years just lying in a box because they weren't worth using.

I got started by removing the pliers and various other tools. It looks like they are held on with screws, but they are actually pins that are pressed together. The ones holding the pliers were fairly easy to remove, but the ones holding the other tools in were a real pain to get out. The end of the large pin was flared and I had to pry everything apart.

I had to leave the house in the middle of this project to take my son to his baseball game. I bought them with my and used my Skeletool and Surge to work on getting the other tools out while sitting in the bleachers.

Hopefully this evening I can cut the handles off of the flush cutters and work on drilling and shaping them to mount in these handles. I don't plan on putting any other tools back in this, I already carry a Style cs, Skeletool, and vic. Huntsman everyday anyway, and frequently a surge in my belt.

I'll post more pics when I make any progress.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Lateck, Nick4305, Cynt and 1 other person like this.
  7. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I made some progress so far. I used my Dremel to chop off the handles of the flush cutters. I then drilled the holes for the pins that will secure them. I screwed the cutters to a block of wood to hold them still while drilling. It looks like this may actually work.

Due to the increased thickness of the cutters, I'm going to fasten the cutter head to the opposite ends of the handles. I'll still need to come up with some kind of spacers to keep them from wobbling. I have some small washers, but I think they are still too large. Perhaps some kind of nylon bushing.

Next I need to see if the free bench grinder I picked up the other day actually works so I can round off the corners. But that's going to have to wait until after I get the kids ready for bed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Nick4305 and Cynt like this.
  8. Cynt
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cynt Loaded Pockets

I think it's coming along nicely man.

9. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Thanks.

So far, so good. My bench grinder works great, so I got the cutters rounded off and mounted in the handles using the original pins. They stay together fairly well, over I'm sure I'm done tweaking it, I'll put some locktite on them before pressing them together.

The good news is they work. They unfold fairly well, they wiggle a little bit yet because I don't have any spacers on the pins to keep the cutter heads still. But still, they snap into place. I can open and close them at cut stuff. They are a little loose when folded up, I think getting the spacers in there will make it more solid, I just have to find the right thing to use.

I think with a little more effort, these will be an awesome addition to my EDC gear. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

I've been following this thread since the beginning but I didn't post anything because I couldn't offer you a viable solution to your request. My first thought was to say, "Build it yourself." but it's impossible to judge a person's mechanical ability over the internet.

I applaud your determination for coming up with an excellent solution to your needs.

adnj, Flashman and severdhed like this.
  11. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Good work on those self made clippers.

In the meantime, I accidentally found a very handy mini tool for clipping cable ties ( I wouldn’t claim wire ). Tuns out nail clippers can easily get into a cable tie and clip it with no effort. Tiny and a lot of leverage. I guess about any make will do but bigger toenail sized ones will probably cope with big cable ties. I was using a tiny Victorinox set that were in my travel toiletries bag (TSA friendly).

WillAdams and Moshe ben David like this.