1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding diagonal cutters

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, May 2, 2018.

1. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I certainly can use a knife to cut a tie but I also would never try using a knife where a cutter is the correct tool for more than the occasional random tie.

I have been carrying Electricians Scissors for the last few days since this came up and they seem a pretty decent alternative too but only if you don't want to carry Dikes for some reason at all?

[​IMG]

Moshe ben David likes this.
  2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Take a close look at that picture. Cut the pliers off and the cutters won't work.

severdhed likes this.
  3. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I'm not opposed to carrying a small pair of cutters. In fact, last night I put a small pair in the maxpedition sheath with my surge. There problem is, I don't always carry my surge because it's quite heavy, some days I don't feel like constantly tugging my pants up.

I just want a pair that I can pocket carry without getting stabbed in the leg. I have this small elastic pocket organizer that I carry in my cargo pocket, if I had a folding set, I could easily put them in there. I just can't believe this doesn't exist. [​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

You can cut them off at the cross pin, and lose much of the pointy part. Or re-drill and use a couple of chicago screws for new cross pins closer to the main pivot and machine away almost all of the plier side.

It's a waste of time, but so is jumping through hoops because one doesn't want to get a 4" pair of cutters, trim some off of the handles and blunt the tips. For the ultimate in pocket friendly but not absolute junk pocket diagonal cuttery.

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much why I wear carpenter jeans mostly.
    I can carry my standard Kliens and nit think twice about them in a side pocket!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onebadwagon and Moshe ben David like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Take a look at Grid-It organizers. Pretty widely available; including on Amazon. Not sure what the smallest size is if your goal of course is pocket carry.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Or a tool roll --- I have a pair of Snap-on flush cutters in my "Frequently-Used-Tools" roll.

I agree that this would be an interesting tool design --- I've used the cutters on my Gripsher multi-tool for this, and after a bit of thought, that design re-worked to be flush cutters / optimized for working with zip ties would be a nice niche.

8. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

It really depends on the type of ziptie and what it is securing. If you don't care about the secured item pliers, even tiny pliers, and a twist works great on most zipties, especially if they are old and embrittled. A mini version of a seatbealt cutter or gutting hook also works great. However, if you care about the secured item (like in the case of delicate wires) or want to flush cut the tail on installed zipties, you really need to use a good set of, perferably angled, flush cutters. Unless its demo work a good set of flush cutters is all I use. For demo a pair of linesman pliers is faster.

Given that, I would say some sort of sheath is the way to go, since pointy and sharp do not go particularly well with pocket carry.

iamsupersam and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. iamsupersam

iamsupersam Empty Pockets

Like what bj warkentin said, pliers to squeeze the head of the ziptie to disengage the tongue and twist. Video here for reference.

10. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great idea for when I have a 2 foot bundle in front of me in the clear that is not attached on either end?!

If you will carry these then you can sure carry the correct tool as well?

11. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I'm an I.T. guy, I'm mostly dealing with Ethernet or other computer cables that I need to remove zip ties from, often in difficult to reach locations. Preventing damage to the cables quite important. Grabbing them with pliers and twisting isn't always going to work, the same goes for using a knife.

I'm just having a hard time believing that nobody makes something like this. I guess for now I'll just keep a small pair in the sheath for my Surge, and just have to go to my car to get it if I don't feel like dragging that around that day. I could make a little sheath for just the cutters and keep them in my pocket, but this isn't something I'd user on a daily basis. That's why I wanted a folding pair. If they folded up like a small Leatherman squirt, it could ride unnoticed in my pocket until I needed it.

I submitted the idea to Leatherman, hopefully someday it will exist.

12. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

May want to try SOG, as they had the SOG PowerCut, see if they want to resurrect it.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Those look like the deal OK?

14. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

They could really just take an ES4 and replace the strippers with the Diagonals and offer it in both versions,I wold be on board!

severdhed likes this.
  15. bj warkentin

Just to be clear, I am mostly advocating the grab and twist as a destructive method, when you don't care about the wires in the bundle. A pair of linesman pliers can easily break the ziptie, and I find it faster than cutting. If I need to preserve the wires or worry about damage to the ziptied items I always use cutters. All my various electrical work bags and pouches have linesman pliers, as well as large and small side cutters. I am a huge proponent of the right tool for the job.

However, I am not faced with needing to carry a weight/space constrained kit. I typically have some sort of MT on my person but almost always will use a full sized tool for a job, as I have said full sized tools at the jobsite, in my truck, and at home. The MT generally come into play when I encounter a one off unexpected job when out and about (away from work) or at a tool challenged (how someone can own a house and not own a screwdriver is totally baffling to me) friend's house.

16. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

If I'm going to do a specific job, then I make sure I have the proper tools that will need. I keep a toolbox in my car that covers the basics. The problem I run into is that I carry rarely know what I'm walking into. I am an I.T. consultant for a small firm that deals with small businesses and residential issues. I frequently get tasks thrown at me that I wasn't planning on doing. I show up at a business to fix someone's email issue, or install a printer, and the next thing I know, I'm pulling where cables through the ceiling , or relocating a computer for someone that thought it would be nice to zip tie all of their cables together.

This is why having the right tools in my pocket at all times is crucial. I don't use my diagonal cutters all that often, so they stay in the car. But the other day, I went to a client to setup a new laptop and they asked me to move this PC to the other end of the bar. I got it moved and I saw that the Ethernet cable plugged in at the new location and was routed up over a tall cabinet and down the other side to the old location. I got up in a ladder to pull the cable and found that it was secured to a coax cable with zip ties. I was faced with either climbing down and going back to my car, or using the scissors on my Leatherman style cs. I got it, but the scissors just didn't do a great job.

I do my best to be prepared in any situation. I hate feeling helpless. I design my EDC so that I'm prepared to handle just about any situation I could reasonably find myself in on a daily basis. I add gear based on past failures. When I get into a situation that I can't handle with my current gear, then I look at the situation and think...Is there a good chance that this could happen again? Is there something I could add to my EDC gear that would enable me to be successful the next time? And does the cost and hassle of carrying this item offset the inconvenience that I will experience for not having it.

Even when I'm not working, I carry the same gear all the time. Because as a husband, and father to four small children, I'm the one everyone comes to when someone is needs fixed. It's always: Dad, my necklace fell apart. Dad, there is a dart jammed in my Nerf gun. Dad, the button fell off if my shirt. Dad, I have a splinter in my foot. Your daughter got hit in the face with a ball and her glasses were knocked off and fell 10ft to the bottom of a storm drain. It feels good to know that they will come to me with their problems and that I'll most likely be able to help them. If I didn't carry this stuff, I'd spend every waking moment of my life running back and forth to my tool box.

I feel that having a pair of diagonal cutters on me at all times would come in handy, but I'm running out of room to carry things. A small folding pair world be perfect. I just wish they existed.

17. bj warkentin

#37 bj warkentin, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'd love a pair of compact diagonal cutters. I always carry a pair with me when traveling. If I get a rental car, I use the cutters to cut apart the two sets of keys that are always bound together on a wire cable. I give one set to my wife and I carry a set. I return the keys on a split ring or aircraft cable.

19. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Well, since I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, I'm left work trying to fabricate my own, or modify something else to serve my purpose.

To that end, I'm leaning toward purchasing a small pocket multitool with wire cutters and cut the pliers head off right part the cutting blades. I'm thinking the Gerber dime looks like a good place to start, since it is about half the price of a Leatherman squirt.

Can any of you confirm that the dime wire cutters can do a decent job of cutting zip ties?

Also, I've never attempted anything like this before. I have a Dremel with reinforced cutoff disks, and recently picked up a bench grinder, is it safe to assume that I should be able to cut and shape the pliers with these?

20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

So Yesterday I went to Micro Center for some other stuff and while there I spied several sets of very tiny Cutters that would have to be as good for this and other useful cutting as well as being small enough to easily have around all the time too as compared to any modded MTinstien or at least to me?

If you think a modded MT will work I am happy for you but I am drawing the line at the right tool for the job here with actual purpose built cutters.

I also spotted and fondled one of those flipper headed cutter/plier/stripper things and it was terrifying how crappy it was overall and after comparing the size of one it seems clear that a tiny pair of real cutters is just better in every way on the end for me.

Moshe ben David likes this.