1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folding diagonal cutters

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by severdhed, May 2, 2018.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I frequently find myself up against situations where a small pair of diagonal cutters would come in handy, especially clipping zip ties. I carry a skeletool everyday, but with the cutters at the back of the pliers, they aren't ideal for tight zip ties. I usually end up using the scissors on my Leatherman style CS, SAK scissors.or a knife, none of which are ideal.

Ideally, I'd like to find a small pair of diagonal cutters that fold up, about the size of a Leatherman squirt/style or so world be great, but I just can't seem to find anything like that. I don't care if it is a multi tool or just the cutters. Do you guys know if anything like this?

I keep a small pair of cutters in my car, but that isn't always convenient.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Gary Weinheimer likes this.
  2. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I'll watch this thread with interest. I carry a skeletool - the cutters aren't bad but I normally go at ham-fisted with the knife if I can. Proper, compact cutters would be handy!

The closest I found were just really small cutters built for jewellery and/or crafting.

3. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Pick up a Leatherman Squirt P4 cheap on the big auction site and cut the plier jaws off just above the cutter section. At least, that's what I'd do if I was in the market for that kind of tool.

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Keeping my eye on this one too, sounds mighty useful! I use my leatherman micra for this and sometimes nail clippers but those are far from perfect.

5. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Just get a set of the knipex mini cutters in your choice of bevel/handle configurations. They're tiny.

nyckmc, Moshe ben David and WillAdams like this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

All of the smallest cutters seem to be in the 3.5" range at the minimum which is just small enough to EDC if you need to badly enough.
    I do need to and so I do sometimes or grab the tie with a MT Plier and give them a quick twist which will break most of them too but you do have to be careful which types of wire you try this with for sure.

The Vic Spirit Scissors also do pretty well here but you need to have tough fingers to get it going for sure!

[​IMG][​IMG]

#6 EZDog, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    Treya and Nick4305 like this.
  7. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

I use my LM surge's scissors frequently for zip ties.

WillAdams likes this.
  8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have seen folding diagonal cutters. They were a cheap Chinese brand but I believe it was Dealextreme that carried them.

The package opener that comes on some Leatherman tools works great for slicing off excess zip tie tails, removing zip ties, cutting fishing line and string, cutting packing tape and of course opening blister packages without damaging what's inside.

You need to hold the tie but it might be what you're looking for.

I have fantasized about a Gerber multitool with a slide out head like Linesman pliers... more cutters and less pliers. That would be ideal for me.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Interesting thread.

I'm with @onebadwagon and @EZDog on the subject of either very small Kniplex or small diagonal cutters. Really small ones 'should' be able to be edc'd. I could probably do it with my setup -- I edc my LM Blast in a Maxpedition single sheath horizontally on my belt -- definitely room for either of these options with the LM. But that's just me. FWIW, seems to me many of the Skinth pouches would also serve ...

I know I've cut through zip ties with a knife; especially useful when I have it with me is a small SE grind hawkbill like say a Spyderco Ladybug Hawk or a Dragonfly Hawk. The Ladybug in particular takes no space -- it rides in the 5th pocket of my jeans.

It'll be interesting to see which solution OP settles on! All the best!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

10. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

11. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

12. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Raptor ? Either the main scissors or the ring cutter should deal with zip ties np

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

How can the main cutters work with Zip Ties exactly?

You would almost have to cut off across the Zip Part of the tie which would be the thickest part and it would need to be turned just right too.

You really need a pointed set of cutters to get the ties cut if in a bundle and to cut the ends off flush as well.

So the non-pointy cutters will not be that effective for either me thinks?

Scissors are sort of pushing it at all but the smaller versions on a Spirit X for example are pointy enough to get in there but then require a lot more pressure to cut than is comfortable for the tool or your fingers.

So really a set of dedicated Side Cutter Style tool is the only real option and I have yet to see a folding set anywhere.

severdhed likes this.
  14. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

If can cut a ring stuck on someones finger, cutting a zip tie off.
    Admitted didn't think of flush cutting the tail off.

Guess the lightest dedicated tool would be electronic side cutters, like Knipex Super Knips, but 5" long.

15. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

They're out there...[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and Tallboyjim like this.
  16. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

The problem I see with those "DealExtreme" cutters is they don't really fold up, they flip over. That is, you either have the pointy cutters sticking out or you have the almost-as-pointy needle nose pliers sticking out. There is no pocket-friendly position there.

17. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Style CS

Very small and those big scissors are stiff and go through zip ties easily. As a bonus, it’s a nice match for the skeleton ;-)

18. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

I already carry a style cs, which is what I have been using, they work ok, but not as well as diagonal cutters do. This is because the blades on scissors are offset, instead of aligned like diagonal cutters. None of those other options seem right either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

19. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

Cut the pliers off even with the hinge. Nothing you do to those junky tools is going to make them worse, so they're a perfect candidate for modifying, if only as a proof of concept.

I cut a lot of zip ties with my knife, and if you pull on the tail and cut at the mechanism, you can get a flush cut that's every bit as nice as a set of nippers. The knife needs to be sharp though.

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

SE edge works. Does for me at any rate. A small hawkbill SE (e.g. Spyderco Ladybug) is my favorite for this when its on me...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David