1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Folder guy? Or a SAK/MT guy?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Southpaw, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Totally agree, and like I said, I've done the folder and keychain sak combo forever but I wanted to try to carry only a full sized SAK that way it's one less item on my person. Plus I love the history of SAKS but I just wind up missing the one handed operation. I just love both haha its like having to choose one child over the other when you know you love both. Maybe for work (office setting) I'll carry the Cadet and non work, I'll carry my Delica. Keep a few MT's within reach as well (Wingman in my car, Rambler in my bag, and Compact at home)

Sriracha, ManVsLawn and JustinJ like this.
  2. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I carry a folder. Sometimes when I'm off work, I'll carry a fixed blade. Multitool, in bag in vehicle, for emergencies or working on machinery at work I'm not supposed to be working on. At home, I use propepr tools. When I'm in the woods, I carry a fixed & a multi.

3. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

For work I carry a folder and a SOG Power assist or LM ST300 and a Victorian Farmer just because I like to carry it. For me if I need to cut a band tie I don't wanna have to use my knife and I don't always carry my tools with me so a MT makes it easy to cut some wire or tighten a screw instead of going to get a tool from my bag. Off work I just carry a folder and the Farmer just in case I'm out and need to tighten a screw or pry something.

Joost Heijnen, Stutz and Bowman1911 like this.
  4. squawk77

squawk77 Loaded Pockets

In the Cdn military we are issued a Gerber MT with a belt pouch and a pocket folder. Of course the majority don't bother to EDC either of them, but they always know who to ask when they need a MT (because they've seen it being used often) It comes in handy for many mundane things in the office and it can be vital in the field if it's all you have at the moment. Some buy Leathermans but I like the Gerber because it is a) given to me and b) rapid one hand open. I think the advantage of a MT over real tools is that my MT is always within arms reach. It's far far less common that someone asks to borrow a knife. I carry a Paramilitary 2 now but I didn't for years, as the MT has a knife already. I keep a SAK in my day pack, mainly in case I cross paths with a bottle of wine. I don't like the SAK as a knife because mine doesn't lock. I EDC the Paramilitary when I can because it is also opened quickly with 1 hand and slices a lot better than the Gerber.

Kev2488 and Stutz like this.
  5. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I love the combination of a folder and the minichap, some days the minichamp sees alot more work than then enzo because i can open the blade inside of my hand and cut stuff without scaring people. [​IMG]

Kryptonian, Wo0ki3, Southpaw and 4 others like this.
  6. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I prefer a folder because when I do carry a SAK or a multi tool, I always seem to use the knife 90% of the time and nothing else. I carry multitool for backup but sometimes the weight gets in the way.

7. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

Servus!

As much as I would like to carry a folder, anything OHO is a no-no here in downtown Germany. I have a SAK with a pocket clip that I take everywhere and use often.

thekapow and Joost Heijnen like this.
  8. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

SAK or some other Penknife in my pocket. Multi-Tools in vehicles, etc., for emergency use only.
    If I need a hand-tool I'll go for something purpose made. Most of the screws, bolts and other fasteners I have to work with aren't really do-able with a multi-tool. Likewise, I'll always use a full size file or saw if at all possible. Why handicap yourself if you don't have to?
    Reminds me of motorcycle review in a magazine a few years ago, the writer had a photo of the tool-kit supplied with the motorcycle captioned, along the lines of: " you couldn't really use these on your motorcycle"

thekapow likes this.
  9. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've settled in on SAKs (Vic Compact) because I use the scissors more than the knife. When I do use the knife, it is usually for food prep. I suppose I could carry a folder and some Slip N Snip folding scissors, but then I'd have an extra thing to keep track of.

I've gotten in the habit of using my Rexford RUT utility blade for packages, tape, etc. to keep my main blade clean and sharp.

10. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Generally, a folder on-person (presently Delica FFG) and a multitool (Swisstool variation or SAK) in the EDC bag/pack. Tried to streamline and get away from the whole "bat belt" approach.

Heck, sometimes it's fun just to roam with only a LM Micra and see what you can accomplish. :)

Southpaw and Mumbojumboo like this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

The older I get, the more I just carry a MT or a SAK rather than a dedicated folder. The knives on a MT or SAK, especially if OHO, are usually sufficient for my needs.

In my case, a multi is usually the tool of first resort. If it won't do the job, I break out the real tools, but usually it does.

Southpaw likes this.
  12. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I just carry a Leatherman Wave like I have for the past 9 years, before that it was an SAK.

13. Sparkdave

Sparkdave Loaded Pockets

Sak mt guy

Southpaw and Wo0ki3 like this.
  14. Wo0ki3

Wo0ki3 Loaded Pockets

On my way here myself. It might end up being Alox Lumberjack + Vagabond/Minichamp, but I just find too much utility for my Rebar's pliars nowadays. I'm hopeless :rolleyes:

Kev2488, Joost Heijnen and Southpaw like this.
  15. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

Ussually there is a full size multi tool near by like a leatherman or gerber, so I can get away with just a folder. When I did the end of year challenge I went with a sak for the versatility. If I could only have one pocket knife it would probably be a sak tinker. Wanting a us made version I single sided a sidekick. It all boils down to what works best for you. If you find something to big or bulky you're not going to carry it!
    [​IMG]
    Edc by Krytonian, on Flickr

16. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

17. Wo0ki3

Wo0ki3 Loaded Pockets

Well, Serena? Are you a Folder gender-neutral pronoun or SAK/MT gender-neutral pronoun? :unsure:

Serena and Joost Heijnen like this.
  18. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I'm a SAK gender-neutral pronoun!!!

MrOG, Wo0ki3 and Joost Heijnen like this.
  19. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

to me. folder knife. it is my multitool. (knife that cuts n scrapes, pryingthing, and boredom thing to fidget and play with.)

Swissarmyknife. never could use SAK. kinda love them but cant use them. only tool i can open easily is toothpick and tweezers.so never carry them in my pocket as i need tip of my knife to open the blades. there might be one in my bag or in my car though just in case.

multitool. i need easy to open and lightweight knife most often. and i prefer to use real tools instead of makeshift almost good enough ones in multitool. so as much i would like to carry one i cant justify it as my only carry thing over knife. a multitool as a knife is overweight and bulky. do not as convenient to open and more than that actually use in hand. many of the tools i wont need often enough to be worthy or validating of carrying it everyday all day.

20. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Lol notice the first sentence says "kind of person" instead of "kind of guy" he he

Serena likes this.