1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

foldable kitchen knife?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by r-ice, Mar 8, 2010.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

is there such a thing? Every time I go somewhere else to cook and what not, I hate their knives its always dull..

2. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

3. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Check out blade tech ulu.

4. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

The Opinel is a classic for this purpose. And they fantastically cheap. Just don't let it get soaking wet, the wood swells and then the thing is done. Like pitch it done.

5. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i really like the ag russel one but not entirely too sure if they ship to Canada, i'll pop them an email and go from there. =]

Thanks..

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Kevin Wilkins makes the Ryback folder.

7. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

wow out of my price range, but amazing...

8. woolfam

woolfam Loaded Pockets

9. 50ft-trad

50ft-trad Loaded Pockets

Some options as follows:

General 10 cm blade folding kitchen knife: Boker Magnum Outdoor Cuisine
    http://www.attacc.com/acatalog/B_KER.html Towards bottom of page

Blade Tech ULU as mentioned above, but not much clearance between handle and cutting surface in ULU position by the looks of it. Might be useful in standard knife position though

Opinels are available in stainless up to 4" long (possibly longer, but not common) for utility use

CRKT Surf N Turf or Outdoor Edge Fish N Bone for filleting fish or boning meats

Personally I prefer fixed baldes to ensure I don't get food gumming up the mechanisms, and when camping my usual "kitchen" knife is a CS Finn Bear

10. gregorovius

gregorovius Empty Pockets

In case you missed it, here they sell a version of the ryback folder that's not hideously expensive. Not cheap either, but I really like the design.

11. Joe Talmadge

Joe Talmadge Loaded Pockets

Arguably the first, and definitely still my fave of the bunch. If what you're looking for is something that handles like a santoku, the super thin-bladed thin-edged wide blade is great.

12. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

Herbertz makes a few of those, too. I don't know how easily available they are outside of germany, though.

Just a thought: Does a foldable kitchen knife make that much sense? I can imagine that you can get all sorts of gunk in the mechanism that will make an excellent breeding ground for bacteria.

13. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I got a nice gift from my girlfriend, for my outdoor BBQ Kit this week.

Böker MAGNUM Outdoor Cuisine I
    11.5 cm blade, rosewood handle

Böker MAGNUM Outdoor Cuisine II
    10.9 cm blade, rosewood handle

Outstanding 440 steel kitchen knifes and came razor sharp! Böker advertises I for general cutting tasks (more belly) and II as a camping filet knife. Both perfomed well this morning in dressing, butchering and preparing some rabbits for our easter dinner on monday.

I swear, if my brother ever again shows up at my door at 7 in the morning, with a ferret cage in one, and a trash back full of young rabbits he needs dresses RIGHT NOW in the other hand, I'm going to frigin end him. And all this before my morning coffee.
    I hate ferrets.

What was I going to say? Right, folding kitchen knives... I don't know if these two Böker knives are the best available, but they do a great job. Plus, if you are on a budget and like large, classy looking blades, folder II would make for great edc knife as well.

ETA: THERE ARE MANY PEOPLE WHO CONSIDER THIS KNIVES GARBAGE! Someone even said the lock has just two positions: "Jammed" and "not locked even it should be".
    I've made a totally different experience, but please be aware that's just a data point. Maybe I was just lucky.

14. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

hehe, brothers... always there when you need them, and especially when you don't :lol

15. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

i used the spyderco salt1 folder....if they make a larger wide blade would be a nice kitchen knife

16. flash lite

flash lite Empty Pockets

I do not see the need for a folding kitchen knive it just makes it heavier and less sturdy not to mention more expensive

17. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I have a feeling I am going to be spending a lot more time in the kitchen. I know a ffg endura would be a good friend in the kitchen but they suck to wash it the grip get's packed full of food. Anyont know a GOOD but AFFORDABLE all steel kitchen folder. I like the Japanese kitchen knives I've seen.

Here is my kitchen knife I use for 90% of everything I do in the kitchen [​IMG] I would like something like the bottom knife in a all steel folder [​IMG]

Thanks and remeber I don't want to spend to much on a work knife. :ninja:

18. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Back to Square One: AGRussell 'Hocho' if you want a folder.

Or just getcherself 5 five fixed blade Mora's....;D

~Gnarly :evilgrin:

19. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

I've decided, or rather my style of using the knife hasn't changed but what feels best is the chinese knife that looks like a cleaver. So folding is out!

20. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

I. Have been looking at the ag Russell knife but I was hoping for Something more traditional looking. I also wish it came to a sharper point. It fell's the need if I can't find a better one though and the price is right.

Thanks Gnarly

There's no folding Cleavers for r-ice :(

:ninja: