1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flying to Colorado to camp for a week

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ?uesto, Jul 14, 2015.

1. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Been years since I was in CO, and that was in the Denver area -- another beautiful state, have fun with your trip!

Folks already beat me to it about mountain sickness and dehydration. Drinks like Gatorade are pretty sugary and if you cut it say 50/50 with water it'll work better for staying hydrated. Powerade is even worse, way more sugar and junk in that. Another trick is just adding a little bit of apple juice to a bottle of water. If you want to get fancy, places like Walgreens carry a drink powder called "Drip Drop" that is supposedly good for dehydration (check near the baby supplies/Pedialyte aisle). Also, if it's hot, be sure to try and keep your body cooled down (shade, wet bandanna around neck, etc.). Chugging the fluids will only take you so far.

Visiting the ER for dehydration shouldn't be on anyone's bucket list. Don't ask me how I know. :p

jonny8642 and MTFatboy like this.
  2. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Gatorade and Powerade both have too much sodium for dry, western air. The best way to stay hydrated out here is water, and lots of it. You won't sweat out nearly as many electrolytes here; most of the water you lose you'll lose as vapor.

bigfoot and jonny8642 like this.
  3. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

During the Pikes Peak's race I had two people from Missouri who where marathon runners got altitude sickness andall they were doingwas watching the race cars go by, we were at the picnic grounds which was about 10,000ft and they spent the week in the springs getting aclamated. Best thing to combat altitude sicness is drink more water than you're use to, tae note of bigfoot's and MTFatboy's suggestions, and pay attention to how you're breathing and how light headed you feel and you should be good to go. Altitude sickness is no joke when it sets in but it's preventable. The quick changes in the weather patterns should be more of a concern

bigfoot and MTFatboy like this.
  4. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Sorry for getting back to this so late. I flew back the day before classes started and I had a gig that night, so it's been crazy. We camped all over; everywhere between Estes Park near RMNP and Pike National Forest near Colorado Springs. Here are a few iPhone pics. My friend brought a professional camera, so as soon as he gets around to processing those, I'll post some of them too.

Roosevelt National Forest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pike National Forest
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slept in the parking lot at Garden of the Gods so we could check it out before it go too busy the next morning. Only night we slept in the car because there were torrential downpours the night before.
    [​IMG]

RMNP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jay's Dream, Estes Park
    [​IMG]

Mammoth Gulch
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vodka on the rocks :cool:
    [​IMG]