1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flying into Canada This Summer...

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Matt Shepard, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Matt Shepard

Matt Shepard Loaded Pockets

Not sure else where to ask this but we are flying into Calgary from IAH this summer to visit Banf National Park and see some Rocky Mountains.

Keep in mind I am a US citizen and will be bringing the items in question in a checked bag.

I was wanting to bring my cheap Kershaw Antelope Hunter fixed blade along because if it disappears, I won't cry too much. From what I read, this should be allowed...right? My family think I'm crazy but we will be hiking in the mountains a little bit and safe than sorry and all.

Next, I'd like to bring my briar pipe and a small amount of tobacco along because it's going to be beautiful out and well, pipe weather. Can I take the tobacco in to another country?

I don't want to start an international incident. :)

2. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Declare the tobacco, but since you are coming to Calgary I would recommend stopping at Zigarrens and pick up some fresh stuff. It is the largest smoke shop in Canada with a huge selection of pipe tobacco and cigars. Your knife should be fine if its in a checked bag.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  3. Matt Shepard

Thank you for the info, I'm so excited to visit Canada again!

Diezel likes this.
  4. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

The Canadian customs document has a declaration of weapons box to check. You can make the call if that fits the knife description.

I flew into Calgary last week. The Canadian Customs was a total Charlie Foxtrot... Two hours plus for Americans/Canadians to clear customs at 3pm local. Plus the new Calgary US arrivals terminal is a mile long walk, it gives you 20 minutes to rethink visiting Calgary. Had I known how bad customs was, I would have turned around and left.

And no need for protection, right....
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/runner-fends-off-cougars-with-bear-spray-1.3240600

Matt Shepard likes this.
  5. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

As long as the knife is under three inches and is a manual folder there won't be a problem, (just don't try to bring it on the plane!) As it's not considered a weapon at that size, you won't have to worry about concealed weapon laws.

As for the tobacco, as stated above, declare it if you really have to bring it, but I agree with buying local stuff.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  6. Matt Shepard

Thanks for pointing out the box to check. I'd much rather do that than risk trouble. It is a bummer that Customs takes so long but it is what it is.

Thanks for the news article also!

7. Matt Shepard

The blade is a fixed 3 5/8" with an orange handle. Do you think that'll be a problem? Part of the reason I went with it is because it looks like something you'd carry in the woods and not tactical at all.

I'd like to get some Canadian tobacco but this is big family vacation. My wife and 2 yr old daughter, my parents, and sister, her husband, and two small boys.

All of that split between two rental suv's, so I'm not sure how they'll feel about stopping for my smoke supplies. Thanks for chiming in!

8. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

so I'm not sure how they'll feel about stopping for my smoke supplies.

Oh my, I can't think of much I would rather do less on vacation than be stuck with and try to please that many people. Good luck to you. Just remember it is your vacation too. Have a great trip.

9. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Your knife will not be a problem(just google knife laws in Alberta), there is really no size restriction on carry as longs it is not visible to the pubic(ie the blade is showing) within the city,on the belt or in the pocket is fine. When out in the mountains no one is going to give 2 @^&$. Again if you are looking to make a stop for tobacco-Zigarrens.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  10. Matt Shepard

Well, I just asked the family and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Now I'm seeing how far away the tobacco shop is from the airport. Thank you for the well wishes!

FLbeachbum likes this.
  11. Matt Shepard

That's good to hear and it jives with what I have also read online. Looking at Zigarrens right now.

Thank you!

12. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

The web site for Zigarrens sucks and doesn't do the shop justice. From the airport to the shop is about 30min depending on traffic.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  13. Matt Shepard

That's the same conclusion I came to as well. Thanks for the time estimate!

14. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

Ignore this guy with regards to the knife. Your knife is fine. I carry bigger every time I head out in the woods and often round town if I haven't had time to take it off and assisted openers are sold in most knife stores. Most Albertan men have a bigger folder in their pocket at any given time too...

Canadian knife laws are based mainly on intent. Don't pull the knife to threaten someone with it and you'll be just fine. Source: uncle is RCMP staff sgt.

15. Matt Shepard

Good to know, thanks for sharing the info!

Outbound likes this.
  16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Agreed. Calgary is different than the big Canadian cities in the east along the US border. I travel to Toronto once per month. I have portaged with my sons in Manitoba. The only question about the sheath knives we carried was about the style of sheath for my Buck 102 which folds over the top and snaps like a Buck 110 leather sheath. The knife and sheath are more than 30 years old.

Matt Shepard and Outbound like this.
  17. Matt Shepard

Thanks for chiming in! That's pretty cool that you have and still use knives that old.

18. irl314

irl314 Loaded Pockets

I'm from BC, so the knife laws are a bit stricter than elsewhere in Canada. The three inch rule is for classifying a concealed weapon. I suppose that doesn't apply in Calgary. But if you plan on traveling outside Alberta, keep in mind that the law gets stricter the more west you go!

19. Matt Shepard

I greatly appreciate the information! Thank you again!