1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

FlyFAK

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Djs105, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

In light of all the craziness occurring in/around airports lately, I just wanted to ask if anyone else carries any type of IFAK while they fly? Any problems with TSA?

I carry a very basic kit:
    *CAT tourniquet
    *Woundstop pro 4"

Following in a LocSak bag
    *Few gloves
    *bandaids
    *Antiseptic ointment w q-tips
    *Electric tape and duct tape wrapped around an old gift card
    *Few OTCs, (Aleve, Day and NyQuil, lozenges)

I thought about adding a trauma sheer, but I gotta check TSA regs.

This on top of my regular Travel EDC:
    *Fisher bullet pen
    *Fenix LD12

2. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

I carry an ITS tactical tall boy as well as an ITS tactical boo-boo kit plus through airport security all over the world, very often. Never had an issue

Djs105 likes this.
  3. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • The Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

My laptop bag TSA-friendly kit includes a CAT, Combat Gauze, chest seal, tape, gloves, NPA, and an elastic bandage. There's OTC meds and boo-boo items as well. I'd carry a compression bandage but my medical kit is already by far the bulkiest item in my laptop bag other than my laptop itself. I've chosen to not carry a decompression needle because of the TSA.

I've had both the TSA and foreign customs give me trouble over things that were well inside the rules, but they've never even asked about these items.

Djs105 likes this.
  4. PreparedCitizen

PreparedCitizen Loaded Pockets

I carry a small kit using a Go Ruck zippered pouch.

It includes:

1 x SOF-T tourniquet
    4 x bandaids
    1 x LEO Quickclot z-folded gauze
    1 x cravat
    2 x dressing
    2 x pair of latex gloves

I have been asked about the items and I explained why.

5. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

Check with your country's regs but I imagine you'd have to scan the ointment with your toiletries because it counts as a liquid. I can't see as issue with the rest of it, other than the shears. That depends on the country. In the eu you can carry blunt tipped scissors which shears should classify as but, of course, ymmv

6. Hammer-V6

Hammer-V6 Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of kits I bought at REI for backpacking. One goes in my laptop bag and the other in my field bag I carry... I have added a few extra things like tweezers, quick clot, etc....

7. Dingle1911

Dingle1911 Loaded Pockets

I have never had a problem carrying tourniquets or bleeding control supplies. The only thing I remove from my typical kit is knife and shears.

I am not sure if the trauma shears would be okay, I know some small scissors are allowed in carry on items.

8. Lannister
    • The Omnia Paratus

Lannister Loaded Pockets

In my checked luggage, and depending where I am going in the world, I will have a mini trauma kit (Tourniquet, bleed control bandages, shears etc), this avoids the "gatekeepers" annoyances. I will have a more robust one only for some countries. Because of the space it takes I would not take it all the time. Note that my robust kit includes supply I might use/need for myself or colleagues if the local supplies are not "adequate".

In my carry on, only a boo boo kit (most useful) since aircrafts have med kits on board, quite well stocked actually. It includes a few meds and bandages and such. BTW on the meds topic. I would recommend flying with identified meds, either in the original packs or tagged. If tagged, ensure you have a copy of the prescription. A few countries are really stringent on what you bring in. A bunch of pills in a baggy might cause trouble...

9. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I have a lot of meds and I only fly hand luggage and yes, all meds need to be in original containers, including boxes. They never specify that the boxes have to be intact. I collapse all of my meds boxes and turn them into little envelopes to save space in my backpack.

You can't carry them loose or in just the blister pack and if they're prescription, they have to have the pharmacy label on. It's usually a good idea to copy 1 or 2 prescriptions as well, just to prove it. I usually carry 1 with me with my passport and give 1 to whoever I'm travelling with

Lannister likes this.
  10. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

I carried a CAT-T, Israeli bandage and trauma shears thru both US and Mexican security with no problems.

Wolfhunt3r and chaosmagnet like this.
  11. Wolfhunt3r

Wolfhunt3r Empty Pockets

That's about my standard mobile / agile IFAK also. The basics. I've travelled within Europe with it and never had any problems. Once I got asked about the shears.