1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flower 'dashi!

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Oaklington, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

After seeing someones new kiridashi over at the USN I wanted one, and it seemed like a relatively easy kind of knife to do yourself. So I set out to make one out of an old file I'd bought specifically for making a knife out of. But just making a knife isn't as much fun as making a pretty knife, therefore I wanted to incorporate some kind design and ended up with what was supposed to be cherry flower.
    Unfortunately I lost most of the pictures of the process :( but I thought I'd show the result anyway :)
    [​IMG]
    At first it was supposed to have an satin finish but instead I wanted a forged look. So I cold forged it to get that nice texture. Then after HT instead of polishing it I left it with the oxidized+burned oil. Still sanded the bevel tho.

[​IMG]
    Here it is just before the last brass pin was fitted and sitting alongside with my cooling snow :cool:
    At this stage the knife was still pretty thick, somewhere around 4.5-5 mm considering that the back of the handle now is roughly 2.7 mm. Luckily I managed to get a metal purpose sanding belt for the thinning part, as it took me nearly an hour to remove the file pattern by hand.
    [​IMG]
    As for now it'll just have this basic sheath, a plastic membership card bent and then covered in suede (just noticed that it looks uneven in the picture even though it really isn't). But hopefully I'll have materials to do something better, perhaps a kydex or full leather, we'll see.

Hope you liked it! :D

2. tater262

tater262 Loaded Pockets

It looks pretty cool.

3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Walmart-dashi! :D

(Looks great! It's just that the first thing I thought of when I saw the flower pattern was "that reminds me of Walmart".)

Oaklington likes this.
  4. eqlzr

eqlzr Loaded Pockets

OK, I gotta try this (or something similar) with one of my old files. I'm keeping part of the file edge somewhere though for extra utility's sake.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  5. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just make sure you harden the file pattern again when HT the blade, other wise you'll end up with an uncomfortable surface as the teeth of the file bend over with use! ;)

6. eqlzr

eqlzr Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reminder, Oaklington.

7. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Had it happen to me even though I knew better, so now I work internationally to make sure that that horrifying experience doesn't happen to anyone else... :p
    Really, it just sucks so hard to redo the work just because you missed one little detail that you really knew about ;)