1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

flicking open the delica 4

Discussion in 'Knives' started by minew, Aug 2, 2010.

1. minew

minew Empty Pockets

Hey Guys, I just got the Spyderco Delica 4 in the wicked awesome blue colour! I have been watching some reviews on youtube for quite some time and a lot of people just flick theirs open right out of the box. Mine seems a tad stiff to do that. Even the lock back is stiff when I push it in. Should I loosen it up a bit or am I just a tard?

Cheers!

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

A new one will be a bit stiffer than an older broken in one. Also you may just need practice.

3. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

Mine came up pretty easy.

4. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

If you must flick; first lube the pivot. Then loosen the pivot. Work the open/close using both hands until it feels smooth. Wipe off crud. THEN practice flicking.

5. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

You can also try a tiny dab of toothpaste along the contact surface where the blade back slides on the locking bar. Then carefully work it back and forth while you are watching tv.

6. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

While this will work, I would just leave it alone. It will smooth itself out naturally, no need to speed up the process.

7. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

I have a hard time truly flicking the Delica open, unlike some other knives. I find that it's much easier to put the pad of your thumb in the hole and snap your thumb up, keeping the pad of your thumb on the hole until the knife is locked open. This isn't quite the same as giving it a flick and having it fly open, but with some practice you'll be able to do it so fast that it looks and sounds like the same thing.

I have no problem flicking open a benchmade with an axis lock, or something with a thumbstud, but I find the technique described above to be easier with the Delica.

Plus, as others have said, it will smooth out as you break it in.

8. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

It will loosen up but they are tighter than they used to be out of the box.

9. edgeworth

edgeworth Loaded Pockets

I got one about 5 months ago and noticed that it seemed unusually stiff to open. It has finally started to loosen up to the point of just being able to flick it open with my thumb, and yes the lock takes a very firm pressure. This is the foliage green g10 model, I was a little surprised that it does not have phosphor bronze washers. I think that's the main reason for the stiffness.

10. SP120K

SP120K Loaded Pockets

Sorry to bring an old thread to life but I didn't want to start a new thread. My 3 week old Delica 4 is hard to open. It won't flick open, and doesn't feel very smooth and fluid. I lubricated it with mineral oil but now it almost seems worst but that might be my imagination.

It has lead to me using my Manix for edc. :( kinda bummed about my Delica 4

11. nevermas

nevermas Loaded Pockets

Mineral oil will attract dust, the best thing to use is graphite powder/lubricant.

Like the post said above, try loosening the pivot slightly until you are comfortable

12. cutter17

cutter17 Empty Pockets

Apparently just a tard. LOL! Just had to say it, as it was too good to pass up. Like the rest though, a little break in should have you flicking it open every time!