1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flattened coban

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by brianwhynot, Apr 30, 2013.

1. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

I've been redoing our family FAKs and noticed that my rolls of coban have gotten crushed. At first I figured it wouldn't be a problem but when I've gone to use them I've found it's almost impossible to pull the edge away from the roll. Anyone know of a good way to store rolls so they won't get crushed?

2. airwayguru

airwayguru Loaded Pockets

Open un the package and fold the end over a few times to create a starting point when you need it. Once you have done that put it in a sandwich bag to keep it from getting dirty. Plus if the kit is a compact kit where sapce is tight you should not consider putting it in the bag.

3. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

I wrap it over an old gift card, the same way I wrap duct tape. Then I fold the end over a few times and attach a safety pin at that spot. The safety pin gives me some leverage to get the tape started when I need it, and it provides me a way to carry a safety pin, in case I need a safety pin.

4. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I think this is the same stuff as vet wraps for horses? Seems to be perhaps a little cheaper too at a tack store for rolls about three inches wide. I gotta go dig mine up now and see.

Yup, four inches wide and five yards long.

[​IMG][/URL]

Last edited by twoisone, Apr 30, 2013
  5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's how I got most of mine for wraping my finger last year. It looks and seems to work exactly the same as the stuff sold for humans. And since it is for outside the body only I didn't think it could hurt anything. It was less then half the price too. Of course I am not a doctor or health care profesional, so for all I know I could have been doing something very dangerous. But my finger didn't fall off so I'll probably do the same thing again next time.

twoisone likes this.
  6. brianwhynot

brianwhynot Loaded Pockets

Yup. Same stuff. I get it at Tractor Supply most of the time.

7. ddh_13

ddh_13 Loaded Pockets

It's pretty much the same stuff, except the ones for animals come in a variety of different colours and the human ones are usually just boring beige/tan. If you can find it, the best one in my opinion is Tear-rite, a vet product - unlike vetrap (and probably the human ones - no experience there) it tears cleanly instead of needing scissors or tearing and leaving ragged edges.

The only advice I have for using it, on people or animals, is be careful of how much tension you put on it when wrapping a body part, especially for long periods (more than 30 minutes) of time - it may not seem like you're pulling too hard on it at first, but you can get it really snug without trying too hard. Animals have had to have surgery and/or amputations before because of vetrap that was put on too tight...:eek:

brianwhynot and twoisone like this.
  8. keeper
    • In Omnia Paratus

keeper Loaded Pockets

actually in the hospital coban comes in a lot of bright colors, but when you purchase it OTC in a pharmacy it is just the boring tan color

9. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Brand name Coban is crazy expensive. I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NHB4B4

-john

10. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Whenever I give blood, I insist on them using this stuff instead of tape. The worst part of the experience is not the needles but trying to remove that :censored: adhesive tape.

brianwhynot likes this.
  11. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

I take it off the cardboard roll and re- roll it over itself, leaving a folded over lip at the end. Gives you a crush resistant roll and a pull tab. It's the round version of the flat roll mentioned by another poster.