1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flasks?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by samson722, Jul 4, 2006.

1. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

I thought stainless wasn't supposed to leech into the fluid. Is this not true?

2. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm sure it doesn't leach; I think they recommend the 3-day limit because the liquor might go stale during that time. I dunno.

3. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

We don't want stale hooch do we?? I'll keep that in mind. I have one in stainless that came free with a bottle during Christmas. I've has some hooch stored in it for a long time. I better clean it out.

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Let me know how it's kept since you poured it in there.

What kind of liquor is it? How long have you had it stored?

5. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

I've had it in there for at least 6 months. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to tell if it's good or not as it's Everclear grain 190 proof and it just tastes like fire. :evil:

6. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh GOD Everclear! :green:

The only reason I've ever wanted to buy that stuff was for when I was thinking about making an alcohol stove, or having some on hand for use as a general solvent that I could drink in a pinch. That stuff is ridiculously powerful I hear, and I make a bit of a face drinking 100 proof stuff!

They sell a watered-down version in California, where I used to live (if they sold it at all...not sure). Some places won't allow it for sale because it's so :censored: strong. I'm pretty sure I'll never encounter it here in Washington, seeing as they don't sell liquor anyplace but in dedicated liquor stores.

If the seal is fine in your flask, the Everclear's probably okay. Unless the Everclear destroyed the seal and escaped...

7. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

I bought the Everclear at the PX up here in VT to make home made kahlua. I had some left over so I put some in the flask to add to a mixer later. It's like drinking gas!!! :shocked:

8. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Everclear is, ideally, a base for VERY strong mixed drinks. It's like SUPER-vodka.

Drinking Everclear straight is a terrifying concept. It's the liquid equivalent of chewing glass, in my mind.

I'll stick with normal liquors, thank you!

9. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

I want to party with HIM!

10. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

11. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I thought the Nalgene flask has a BPA lining?

12. Loki_s_Father

Loki_s_Father Empty Pockets

on an average week i will carry my flask about two days out of the week (i get my drinking in on the weekends),so it's not exactly EDC but I like my Hatchetman stainless steel flask that I bought at Hot Topic on clearance.

13. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Lugs, I would be interested in knowing the manufacturer you are talking about. I would like a stainless flask, not made in China, and a Filson is a little pricey for me right now.

14. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I found the cutlery shop's site, but they don't list the manufacturer's names, unfortunately. Frustrating.

You might give them a call, or email them, and ask which of their flasks are US made, and who makes them. It'd no doubt be faster than waiting for me to make another trip over there.

The last time I had a look at their flasks, I noticed that the flasks' seals appeared to be less sturdy than the Filson's; they're a flat piece of some white material that looked like pressed, waxed cardboard (maybe plastic). The Filson's looks like silicone, or some other tough, rubbery substance. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, but they were the only gripe I had about these ones.

FWIW, the Filson is expensive, but very high quality. Though I haven't any experience with these other flasks, I'd rather save up for a single Filson than purchase a flask that costs half as much but has a potentially-weaker seal.

YMMV.

15. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

THAT IS A NAME I HAVEN'T HEARD IN A LOOONG TIME! Ah, the memories. Man, the things I used to do. That drink started many o' laughs. Thanks for bring thing that up, Lugs.

16. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm just bringing up what I've HEARD of Everclear. :p

If I ever feel crazy enough to TRY some, I'm sure I'll be bringing it up a WHOLE lot more! :green:

17. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Seriously, Lugs. That is liquid instant-crazy!

18. thchip

thchip Loaded Pockets

My wife's uncle gave me a drink of a clear liquid that had a peach flavor from a mason jar down here in TN. He said it was better than Everclear. You know what? It was! :evilgrin:

19. Ajax

Ajax Loaded Pockets

You have memories of Everclear? Whenever I saw a bottle of Everclear the rest of the night was a haze.

20. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

I want a nice flask but a big one not one of those metal hip flasks. I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!!