1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flasks?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by samson722, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

I edc a flask, (when I'm not working...). I have a collection of about 7. I usually alternate between one with a built in cigarette case, (it holds gum since I quit smoking a couple years ago), or one with a removable shot glass, (It holds a little more). All are stainless and the only time I've had a problem was when I left one half full for a couple years. I still can't use that one, the seal is rotten and anything you put in it has a funky taste.

2. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I have a great one my wife bought me before we were married. It is from Hoffritz and is black stainless steel wrapped in gray leather. Holds 6 oz. and is slightly curved. It's really useful for when we take the kids to Disney (alternative to a $12 cocktail)

3. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

After an exhaustive search for hip flasks that are NOT made in China, or gimmicky as all get-out, I found that an outdoors store in Seattle has Filson flasks (assembled in Italy, leather cover supplied by Filson) for a decent price. Everywhere else I looked has them going for nearly seventy bucks, but this place has 'em for fifty, which isn't so bad. I don't mind paying for quality (it had BETTER be quality).

Tomorrow I'm taking the ferry over to Seattle and see if they've got any in stock. I hope so!

If someone would only make a line of wide-mouth flasks (no funnel required) that aren't of shoddy construction or dubious origin, I'd be pleased as punch. Found out that the Stanley flask, on TOP of having a flimsy plastic bail between the cap and flask itself, is made in China, which put me off a bit. I'd rather have the surplus Russian flask with the Communist seal on it than something Chinese at this point (just thinking about how much lead might be in them makes me shudder). Even the GSI flasks are made in China! What gives!?

And I want to write Nalgene a letter, asking them to downsize their gigantic 12oz flask to a more manageable size, and give it a captive cap. That'd be nice. How 'bout it, Nalgene?

Will post tomorrow if I get any joy from this trip. If anything, it'll be an excuse to bum around Seattle for a while.

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, THAT trip turned out to be a bust! :(

I had a late start this morning, missed the ferry and had to hang around longer than expected because the next one wasn't due for another THREE hours. Only had a couple hours to work with, so when the ferry arrived in Seattle I took off running. Had to trudge through a couple miles of filthy industrial ghetto to get to the place. :p

Searched the place high and low for the Filson flasks. No joy. Plenty of the GSI ones (both metal and plastic), but no Filson. I asked at the counter and received some bad news.

Turns out, the staff of Seattle's Outdoor Emporium don't update their website very often; they hadn't had any Filson flasks in stock for a long time. One employee, who'd been working there over a year, told me he hadn't seen any since he started working at the store! Yikes!

Spent the rest of the time there looking at their selection of firearms (4th Generation Glocks are the ugliest EVER, and they had some poor Mk. III Hi Power in the case that was finished in digital camouflage!). Can't wait til I've got a WA Driver's Licens, car, and a residence so I can finally buy a handgun. Finally.

Back to the flasks, it turns out there's a Filson outlet RIGHT next to the Outdoor Emporium, which probably means they got some overstock and sold them at a discount. I wonder if I'll have the constitution to brave another trek through the concrete jungle next time I'm off. Seriously, it's a bad area; I got hit on by a dirty homeless woman, and passed no less than three hobo camps. No joke. I'm glad the sun was still up during this little journey, you betcha.

Anyway, though the day's errand was a loss, I did get some good walking done. Bummed around Seattle's Asian district, did some thrift shopping (looked mostly at nearly-destroyed pocket knives and tobacco pipes), and had dinner at a little sushi joint I've been favoring lately.

I still want a Filson flask. I'm going find one one way or another. Hope I don't get mugged during the trip!

5. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, I braved the concrete jungle again about a week or so ago, bit the bullet and snatched up a Filson flask.

It seems sturdy enough, and the nice lady who sold it to me said it was covered by a lifetime warranty. If it ever breaks on me, I can just bring it on in for replacement, which is cool.

For what I spent on the thing, I expected there to be a small funnel in the box, but there wasn't. So I went and got a few at a nearby kitchen-supply store. While filling the flask with warm water (to clean it, check the seal and see how it pours), I noticed that it takes a bit of grace to avoid spillage; a slow pour and a steady hand are required to avoid wasting any precious liquors. Though I got water on the leather, it dried off fine.

Noticed some pennants in the stitching, and went to melt 'em down with my lighter, accidentally burning one small stitch off. No big deal, really; I can deal with a missing stitch, so long as I can keep the thread from unravelling during carry and use. I can't wait to see what kind of "character" the leather develops over the years.

Currently trying to decide what poison to fill it with, when I get a chance. It'll have to be over a weekend, and from a relatively small bottle, since I can't store any liquor in my current residence, gosh darnit all (why the USN ever did away with the rum ration so early is entirely beyond me).

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase so far. Will post updates once I've had a few opportunities to field test this little puppy.

6. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear about your poor experiences in Seattle. Most of Seattle isn't like that, but Outdoor Emporium is certainly on the more rundown side of the city. If you ever make it back out to Seattle, a place you might want to check out is Federal Army and Navy Surplus ( www.gr8gear.com ). They have a lot of cool stuff that any EDC member would love to see.

homer603 likes this.
  7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I stumbled across Federal Army & Navy Surplus a few weeks ago; bought some P-51's, P-38's, and a Carhartt's jacket (on sale!). I like the store, and plan to go back. :)

And I actually have much love for Seattle; I've always thought it a really cool town. It's just that SOME parts of it are really seedy, like any other major city, really. You have to know which places to avoid, especially after dark.

Heck, with a 6-ounce flask of good liquor and a decent vantage point of the city, I'm sure I'll be seeing Seattle through some heavily rose-tinted lenses every once in a while! :laugh:

8. DirtHerder

DirtHerder Loaded Pockets

Just a heads up.

These SIGG flasks rust pretty easily (same goes for the cup that comes with it).

I've had three of them rust on me already.

- DH

9. Lurkr

Lurkr Loaded Pockets

I carry a Nalgene flask (lexan, not the white flexi-stuff) with Glenlivet 12 yr in my golf bag. Nice & light, but sturdy, won't leach, and doesn't make my scotch taste bad. Also has a shotglass built into the cap.

10. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Got my flask, so that's one down;

Moved from ship into barracks (where alcohol is allowed, provided it's stored properly)? Check.

Found the Package store on base? Check.

Purchased two 750ml bottles of Knob Creek Bourbon? CHECK.

Now all I need to do next time I'm going out to the city is fill the flask and find a nice place to chill.

Oh, the Atwood Tippler I bought really looks great with some alcohol in it. It's a great little piece of drinking paraphernalia. :)

11. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

Lugsalot, What brand flask did you pick up? What is it made out of? Thanks for the info...............Malcolm

12. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I bought this one.

Filson, who sells various old-school outdoors clothing and leather goods, have stainless steel flasks made for them in Italy. They then cover the flasks in their own "bridle leather," and sell them for an arm and a leg. I bought one because it was stylish and not made in China.

I found a cutlery store in Seattle that sells non-Chinese flasks as well. I cannot recall the name of the manufacturer, but since they're less than half of what the Filson cost me, I plan to pick up several for gifts and personal use.

Haven't had a nip of liquor from the Filson yet, but I've tested it with water and it doesn't leak. The seal's good and the leather gives it a very classy look and feel. The leather smells good, too, and the marks that it picks up from carrying it add greatly to its character.

13. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the heads up Lugsalot. I might get one.................Malcolm

14. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're welcome! It's an excellent flask, so far. Filson is a good company, and stand by their products.

I'll post updates as experiences merit, though I'm pretty sure at this point all I'll be able to say is:

"Emptied the Filson during a visit to Seattle. It dispenses my chosen spirit with ease, and now I'm delightfully tippled. The world's a lovely place! I'm going to call a friend and tell them how much I love them, and not remember it in the morning! Lalala!" :rolleyes:

I think you'll all be happy if I spare you that nonsense!

If I acquire any other flasks made in the USA (or Europe), I'll post 'em here.

15. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

Have you seen the Nalgene flasks in person. I though about getting one of those for the pack.

16. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I purchased a Nalgene flask a while back; it's far too big for discrete EDC, but it's great if you want to bring 12 oz. of liquor to a gathering.

Not sure how good the seal is, or if it retains tastes/odors; my clean-and-sober father found my Nalgene flask (full of delicious Bombay Dry Gin) and dumped it out, much to my dismay! I was planning to drain that sucker after I returned from Boot Camp. Luckily, when I returned home on leave, I was completely forbidden to purchase my own drinks because my friends are awesome!

I wish Nalgene would make a smaller flask with a captive lid. It'd be a big improvement for those of us who want a lightweight, durable flask for secretly sipping spirits.

You reading this, Nalgene! C'mon guys! :p

17. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

12oz is good for a picnic basket, but it's too big for a pack. 6oz would be big enough for me.

18. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

You're telling me!

After taking a sip, then a good slug of the Knob Creek I just bought, I'm certain that 6oz. will do a lightweight like me just FINE! :laugh:

You only need 12oz. if you're supplying a group or spiking the punchbowl at the local dance. :rolleyes:

19. malcolm47

malcolm47 Loaded Pockets

Plus you don't want to get sloshed on the trail. Might fall down a cliff.

20. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

The literature I've read on stainless flasks says not to keep 'em loaded for longer than 3 days at a stretch and to rinse them thoroughly between uses (I use hot water and nothing else).

I'd never drink while actually hiking! Now, a little nip at the end of the day's hike is another thing! And maybe a sip on a cold morning. I figure I could stretch 6oz. over three days, easy!