1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flasks?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by samson722, Jul 4, 2006.

1. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Anyone out there besides myself EDC a flask? That's not to say that I use it everyday, but my brother-in-law gave it to me for a groomsman's gift. It's a small 6 oz. flask, usually resides in my back pocket. Just wondering if any of you have one of these lovely examples of functional art?

2. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

3. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

4. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Those are sweet! I might pick up a Ti flask at some point, just because they're so cool lookin. The one I have now is stainless, and as long as I clean it between liquors, it doesn't have any taste issues. Although I will say the one I have now is a little small. I need something hip flask sized. This is more like the perfect concealment flask. It fits perfectly in my back pocket. It does print something fierce on my jeans, but most people don't notice.

5. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

6. Bagheera

Bagheera Empty Pockets

I carry the large Snow Peak Titanium hipflask, I bought it from some $$ that I received from my company for being voted (again) super person of the month ;)

It is the best buy in hipflasks that I ever did, the Snow Peak Titanium flask is finished superbly, it weighs almost nothing and it absolutely has no influence, that I could discover, on the "fluid" inside.
    Right now it holds a nice 6 oz. of Laphroaig Cask Strength whisky, I might replace it by Laphroaig Quarter Cask for my holiday ;)

I bought it from SnowLeopard when they had it priced down and if I’m correct free shipping 
    SnowLeopard closed down which is a pity as they had nice things.

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Bagheera, which Ti flask did you get. The rectangular or oval?

8. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

9. Jim101

Jim101 Empty Pockets

How long can you keep liquor (tequila) in a metal flask? What is the best metal (or are they all the same) to use?

Thanks,

Jim

10. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

If it's well sealed and kept in a cool, dry place it should keep for a very long time. A high quality stainless flask should not have an effect on the taste of the liquid, but if that's something you're very concerned about, then Ti is the best option. Just my .02

Cheers!

11. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

The stainless steel 0.6L Sigg oval bottles make a good hip flask :D

12. callmekipling

callmekipling Empty Pockets

My brother got me a three-pack of these from cheaperthandirt for my 20th birthday. They worked OK as canteens, especially in cargo pants (for an idea of relative size, one will occupy most of a regular BDU pant cargo pocket).

I only used it for liquor once, on a fraternity trip. Damned thing held all the maker's mark I had handy. Got myself and two buddies rather sauced.

Eventually I met a chemistry teacher who told me a plastic flask was only inferior to a metal one (chemically speaking) if you plan on leaving the same stuff in it for several years.

To make a long story longer: Nah, not anymore because I usually carry a gun, and a nalgene will hold more water if that's what I need it for.

But every once in a while I get that urge, and every once in a while it comes with me on a walk, or to fish ;)

13. big payback

big payback Empty Pockets

Buy a shotgun bandoleer and stick those baby soda bottles from county comm (.95 cents a piece!) all in the slots. They hold 2 OZ of liquid a piece, and are crush proof. Thats party edc. 2 bandoleers crossing my chest, and a litre of sprite on side as a chaser.
    Thats the way I would do it.

(not really, bt it sounds cool, right?)

14. Hoodoo

Hoodoo Empty Pockets

The 0.4 L is nice too. :)

[img width=619 height=640]http://www4.gvsu.edu/triert/images21/sigg_flasks1b.jpg[/img]

15. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Yeah, only came across the vintage bottles online recently.

Are they stainless or aluminum? Ah it seems stainless, its just one of the sigg online retailers over here (UK) uses the same copy to describe all the Sigg bottles... extruded aluminum.. . complete muppets.

16. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

The vintage military oval canteens are enamel lined aluminum, have a cork stopper and fit inside an aluminum cup (these are very nice BTW, I have several used ones of post-war vintage and even one from the 1930's that is completely new and unused.). The newer ones being marketed by SIGG are stainless and accept the standard SIGG screw tops.

Unfortunately, the newer stainless ones are NOT MADE IN SWITZERLAND. They are made in CHINA! Be forewarned! Same goes for their stainless vacuum thermal offerings.

Also, the cup included with the newer oval flasks is also stainless, but unfortunately are kind of chinsy, actually very chinsy. If you compare them with the vintage aluminum cups, you will be disappointed with the newer stainless version. Fortunately though, the newer oval flasks DO fit the old vintage cups.

17. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Yes, the M32s nice, but aluminum so not ideal.
    Have heard problems with the new cup too, one sprung a leak as a result of using it to boil water.

18. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

Why do you find aluminum to be unsatisfactory? They are lined. Were you intending to boil water in a flask?

Also, the value of the cork stopper should not be underestimated or overlooked. That cork will last forever, is easily field replaceable and seals nearly as securely as the screwtops. Sometimes they seal a little too securely if you over tighten them.

That does not surprise me at all. It looks and feels just like you would imagine a cheap Chinese copy of a good thing might look and feel.

The thing that really irks me, is that (at least for me) half the reason for buying a SIGG bottle is because they are Swiss made. If it's not Swiss made, why the heck am I paying so much for it!? I bought one of the new stainless oval bottles the day they came out. Needless to say, I was not happy when it arrived and I read the words "made in China" on the box. I think livid is the word.

I do have to admit however, the stainless oval bottle (not the cup, mind you) is actually a pretty decent bottle. It uses the standard SIGG screw tops, which is nice if you already have other SIGG bottles (not as fun or everlasting as the cork, but still a darn good system). It's fairly lightweight for being stainless steel and it does fit inside the old military cups.

Still, had I known they were Chinese at the time I ordered it (over a year ago, maybe over two years), I probably would not have ordered it. And even though the bottle was not a complete disappointment, I'm not itching to buy another.

19. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

Was referring to the cup, I just can taste it. I don't even drink beer out of cans without tasting something metallic, has to be glass bottled. Could be a placebo, I admit, but still tastes not as good.

My pattern 58 crusader stainless steel mug is great, its just that bottle thats meant to fit it is plastic. :/

I'm thinking a one of those guyot design bottles above (if can source them in the UK) and probably a titanium mytimug would be close to a perfect combination atm. The bottle should fit inside the mug, and the mug has a lid to reduce boil times.

20. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

I too looked at the Sigg (and found out they were MIC), so got a Dalvey stainless flask instead. It's flat and very discrete with no metallic taste.

The Snowpeak is an ultralight option but I don't normally carry more than a snort or two :D