1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flashlight Review, Nitecore Defender Infinity

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by erns, Dec 20, 2007.

1. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

I just got the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 from Nitecore Defender Infinity CPFMP Thread

I was able to get in the special CPF group one buy at $40.00. I paid extra for $10.00 for EMS Shipping.

EMS shipping took 8 days.

Box was slightly crushed during shipping.

The Type III Hard Anodize is excellent. Slight color differences between Lens Bezel Assembly and Battery Tube.

Unfortunately the dreaded " Strong Light" printing on the bezel.

Fit is excellent.

Anti-roll design.

Uses Cree Q5 WC.

Uses 1AA Battery. Can use 14500 Lithium Rechargeable Battery.

Forward clickie.

NiteCoreĀ® Defender InfinityTM adopts unique infinitely variable digital-controlled brightness technique, which enables customers to set the brightness levels by themselves only through rotating the bezel of the light. And the switching between brightness levels is smooth, no longer with limitation of preset brightness levels. Customers will be able to choose the output level they need according to different environment; also, they can set a really very low output level in order to achieve prominent long time of continuous using.

I still have to figure out how to use the UI. I just got the light.

From my lux readings the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP gets some high lux readings for using a Nimh battery. The Fenix L1D CE has slightly higher lux readings due to it's SMO Reflector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comes with Warranty Card and Instruction Booklet.

[​IMG]

Also comes with 2 o-rings, 500 Parachute Cord Lanyard and rear rubber boot cover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside view of the back of the Cree Q WC Module.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside view of the forward clickie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Size comparisions.

Left to Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5, Jet Beam CLE V2, Jet Beam MKII X, Jet Beam CLE, Fenix L1P CE

[​IMG]

Left to Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5, Jet Beam CLE V2, Jet Beam MKII X, Jet Beam CLE, Fenix L1P CE

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using Duracell 2650mAh Nimh AA Rechargeable Batteries which were fully charged. I used AW's Protected 14500 in the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 to take lux readings. It's the only light that can run the 14500 out of lights shown above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, 14500 - 1960 lux @ 1 meter

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh - 1350 lux @ 1 meter

Jet Beam CLE V2 OP Nimh - 550 lux @ 1 meter

Jet Beam MK IIX OP Nimh - 400 lux @ 1 meter

Jet Beam CLE OP Nimh - 680 lux @ 1 meter

Fenix L1D CE SMO Nimh - 1400 lux @ 1 meter

------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, 14500 @ 90"

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Jet Beam CLE V2 OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Jet Beam MK IIX OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Jet Beam CLE OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Fenix L1D CE SMO Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Jet Beam CLE V2 OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Jet Beam MK IIX OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Jet Beam CLE OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Fenix L1D CE SMO Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam MK IIX OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam CLE V2 OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam CLE OP Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Fenix L1D CE SMO Nimh @ 90"

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam MK IIX OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam CLE V2 OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Jet Beam CLE OP Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Left, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, Nimh. Right, Fenix L1D CE SMO Nimh @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

2. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Good review.... O0

I am still waiting for mine, I was so "cheap" that I didnt pay for EMS :brickwall: :rant:

Why did they put on that silly "strong light" logo.. :slap:

3. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

illusion, I can personally confirm that it is indeed a strong light. ;D :D

Maybe they'll remove some of these logos for the dealer batch (TADGear). We did pay special discounted price, heh. In any case, I don't feel the markings are that much of a bother. They stayed "classy" by using white - could have been worse... :green:

ernsanada, thanks for another great review. You do some great work with that "casual use" camera as well. Outstanding.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Empty Pockets

I love the way it looks. It looks like a thin HDS \ NovaTac.

Those pictures show it is a strong light. You can't say they didn't warn you about that.Ā  :)

5. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

Look out! It's a ........................

[​IMG]

:stars: :crazy2:

:crackup:

6. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm very excited about this light. The fact that it's got such high output (it is a "STRONG LIGHT" after all!) and takes a very common battery would make it an ideal gift for non-flashlight-savvy friends and family. :D

Man, I wish I'd known about that CPF group buy...I'd have bought one! I need to lurk more over there! :brickwall:

Thanks for the review and pics, erns! :highfive:

8. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Uh oh. Interesting light, but what's the UI like?

I've have an ambivalent relationship with my Liteflux LF2-P4. It wasn't behaving as it should, and as it turned out (and I just knew this was going to happen someday), I had gotten it into some undefined mode and it needed a reboot.

I had to REBOOT my FLASHLIGHT. Grrrrrrr.

Is there going to be another group buy on CPF?

9. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope so! I'd definitely crawl out of the woodwork for that one! :lurk:

10. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

Here's a video from CPFer WadeF on usage: http://youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs
    -Basically when the head is tightened the light is in high mode. A quick loosen then tighten action sets it into strobe. Loosen-tighten again to set it back into high mode.
    -A quick loosen (without tightening) drops it into the user-defined mode. While it's in this mode you tighten-loosen really quickly and the light will start to ramp up or down in brightness for about 7 seconds. When the output mode you see is the one you want, you turn the light off quickly with the clicky switch to save that mode.

I believe the group buy is over. TADGear is supposed to have them soon, as the official US dealer. (link)

11. Blackheart

Thanks, Rah.

So, if I understand this, the head's normal (off) position is when it's loosened?

This is the problem I have with my Fenix L0D (and the reason I went with the Liteflux LF2). I carry the light on a keyring suspended in my pocket on a chain. As I move around, the already loose head loosens itself further and eventually falls off (and this characteristic is mentioned in the LF2 manual, so I know I'm not the only one)

Yep, saw them listed there, but at twice the price. I know there are many folks who don't bat an eye at dropping a c-note on a flashlight, but I try to keep my purchases in the under $60 range (I know... I'm cheap).

12. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

I'm afraid I wasn't as detailed as I could have been.

-If you want the light to be in the designated high mode all the time, the head is left tightened. To turn off the light in this mode you have to click the clicky switch, or lock-out the light with a loosening of the tailcap (the only function of the tailcap on this light).

-If you want the light to be in the user-defined mode all the time, the head only needs to be left very slightly loosened. I don't think there should be a problem with it falling off.

13. Blackheart

Got it. Thanks again, Rah.

14. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

Left, Olight T15 Q5. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

[​IMG]

Left, Olight T15 Q5. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I also took lux readings of the lights above. These are the lux readings I got. I am using a Meterman LM631 Light Meter measured at 1 meter. I waited 2 minutes before taking the readings. I am using a Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 in the Olight T15 Q5. I used AW's Protected 14500 in the Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 to take lux readings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 - 1960 lux @ 1 meter

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 - 2510 lux@ 1 meter

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90"

[​IMG]

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 90"

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Left, Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90"

[​IMG]

Left, Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500. Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 90" Stepped down exposure

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

15. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Lets "bump" this

Just got my light today.. :woohoo:
    Very nice light, compact and good design. Not sure if it actually produces the amount of lumens it says it should (have to wait for dark).
    But overall a cool light

[​IMG]

16. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

These lights are all using freshly charged 14500's. All lights except the Olight T15 Q5 are using AW's Protected 14500's. The Olight T15 Q5 is using an Ultrafire Unprotected 14500, this was the only 14500 that could fit the Olight T15 Q5.

Left to Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5, Olight T15 Q5, Dex Light, Rex Light, Jet beam MKII X

[​IMG]

Left to Right, Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5, Olight T15 Q5, Dex Light, Rex Light, Jet beam MKII X

[​IMG]

Nitecore Defender Infinity Q5 OP, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Olight T15 Q5, Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Dex Light, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Rex Light, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

Jet Beam MKII X, AW Protected 14500 @ 32'

[​IMG]

17. HoopleHead

HoopleHead Banned

<edit: nevermind i was thinking about another light>

18. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

Erns what do you think about the output one the Nitecore? I wasnt all that impressed, but then again its just a single AA light..

19. RoninPimp

RoninPimp Loaded Pockets

Is it me or are these Chinese lights into the feature overload zone? My Jetbeam MkII gets stucks in its advanced mode and drives me nuts. I want normal, max, and super low settings and that's it. I'd like a AA replacement for my Surefire L1 just for the sake of easy to find batteries. Ugh....

20. Rah14

Rah14 Empty Pockets

No matter how you click the NiteCore switch, it remains a one-mode light. I have it set to Max/Low only (slight bezel loosening to switch to low, slight tighten to go back to max).