1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flashlight Review JetBeam MKIIx

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by MouldyCrow360, Feb 24, 2007.

1. MouldyCrow360

MouldyCrow360 Empty Pockets

I was expecting to be waiting for at least another week before this arrived but amazingly my new Jetbeam got here (eastern US) in just over a week. I was planning on getting some good AA batteries before it arrived but it came so early I didn't get around to that. So all I had was a regular alkaline to try it out with. Still very impressive. On high it is not quite as bright as my Surefire L2 (on high) but the tint is whiter and it seems to be less "floody". It switches between modes easily and the advanced mode is pretty simple too, once you get the hang of it. It came with a bag of extra rubber tailcaps and o-rings along with a lanyard and a belt holster. One question though, how do you put a different rubber tailcap in? I'd like to switch from the orange one to the glow in the dark one, but I can't seem to figure out how to go about that. :confused: The only issue I have is with the anodization. The coating on the head is striped. If it was a regular pattern I'd think it was meant to be like that, but it isn't regular. I'm not sure how well you can see it in the pictures but there are stripes of dark and light natural color anodization. A quality control issue probably. Luckily it is nothing that affects the funtionality. Overall the fit and finish is good, just not quite up to spec with Surefire.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/luckydogg80/Jetbeam2.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/luckydogg80/Jetbeam4.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/luckydogg80/Jetbeam1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=640 height=480]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/luckydogg80/Jetbeam3.jpg[/img]

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Congrats on the Jetmeam MK II X. What is the difference between this light and the MKII?

3. MouldyCrow360

I can't believe I forgot to mention the most important part. It has a Cree LED. ;D Also the advanced mode that I mentioned is a new feature. Other than that I believe it is the same as the MKII.

4. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

So how does the beam look? Any dark rings? How's the fade from spot to flood? Just curious because the crees seem to be hit or miss on the beam patterns.

5. MouldyCrow360

The beam is pretty good. No rings or other weird stuff like that. There is a nice bright center spot that transitions to the flood. I think the orange peel reflector helps with the whole ring issue.

Again does anyone know how to switch tailcaps buttons on Jetbeams? The whole clickie tail itself seems to be one part, I can't find a way to remove the rubber button. I don't want to break the thing by doing something wrong. :help:

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am sorry, I have no idea how to change the tailcap switch. Sorry!

7. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

It's been a while but IIRC there is a retaining ring that screws up in there to hold it. A snap ring tool or a pair of pointy needle nose should fit in the holes of the ring and you can unscrew it.

Where did you get it?

-LT

8. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

Emilion's Workbench here. carries the Jet Beam MKIIx.

9. ScarabDrowner

ScarabDrowner Loaded Pockets

Lunal Tic is right... if you take off the switch part of the light and look inside, on either side of the spring there will be two small holes. Use something like needlenose pliers with the tips in those holes, and you can unscrew the switch assembly from the body. You can then take out the rubber cap and replace it with another. In the same way you can kinda adjust how responsive the switch is... tighten down the switch inside the body to make it easier to click, or loosen it to make it need you to press more to click.

10. MouldyCrow360

Ahh, thanks a lot guys! :) I thought it had something to do with those two little holes but I didn't want to experiment with it. Now I just have to find a tool that will fit in there... And yes I did buy this light right from Emilion.

11. MouldyCrow360

;D I used the scissors on my Wenger Esquire to get that tailcap apart. I was ready to go buy a snap ring opener or mini-needle nose when I thought to try a SAK pair of scissors. I got the GID tailcap in and also screwed it in so that the tailcap doesn't stick out so far. Beforehand it would not sit up in candle stick mode because the tailcap was not flush with the bottom of the light. Excellent! Thanks again guys! Now to wait for it to get dark...

12. oceanbeamer

oceanbeamer Empty Pockets

Yep the stripeing shows up in the last photo,,I recieved my jet c-le from emillion yesterday and for $29. I'm very happy......not perfect but a bargain just the same that mkIIx has been pulling at my paypal strings for several weeks now.......will wait for a few more reviews,,but looks good,,,,,now if I can only keep my wife from rolling her eyes over yet another flashlight.......enjoy

13. iceman

iceman Empty Pockets

May I ask what is the "not perfect" on the Jetbeam C-le. I heard that there are some grit on the thread due to it being very dry. I'm just curious.
    Thanks.

14. erns

erns Loaded Pockets

The Jet beam MKIIx is not listed on Emilion's site. They must be out of stock.

15. MouldyCrow360

Most likely that is the case, but the site is also rather buggy so it might reappear soon. So keep an eye out if you want one.

16. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

[mo]Moved and split out, with a bump.
    :db:
    - bruner[/mo]

17. prometheus

prometheus Empty Pockets

BTW, for those of you that don't know "Emillion Lee" IS Jetbeam. one and the same guy.

he used to work for fenix and when he wanted to do his higher grade versions of the pocket light he went off to start his own company, "jetbeam".

emillion's workshop is his retail operation.