1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flashlight Review - Fenix P3DCE. Just...wow

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by RacerX, Jun 15, 2007.

1. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Received mine yesterday AM, played around with it last night...

Even on a half-used set of cells, this thing is the bee's knees. The only other comparable light I have is a Huntlight FT-01XSE from JS. My mini-review follows:

The fit and finish of the Fenix is top-notch, but so was the Huntlight (when I received it, its scarred well now)

Both lights arrived well-lubed, although the Fenix gave me a heart attack when I first installed the batteries. It flickered and changed modes like crazy everytime a fly farted. Come to find out I hadn't screwed down the tailcap tight enough. Found out the best way to change batteries. Remove the head, empty dead cells, crank down *tight* on tailcap, insert fresh cells, replace head. This solved the flicker/modechange problem. +1 to Huntlight on this one...

Size: The huntlight, while still compact, is a monster for EDC. I soon relegated it to the "what goes bump in the night" light and went back to my L0PSE on lanyard for EDC for the last 6 months. Finally got tired of the sickly (in comparison to the Huntlight) glow of the L0PSE, and when Father's day gifts came up, I knew I'd be getting a light too! (I gave my pops an Arc-P Camo for Christmas which my mother promptly confiscated from him) Off to Fenix-Store I went to get him a L0DCE (he liked the lanyard rig I gave him, so it had to be small) and ordered myself a P3DCE (with permission from my wife!) Size comparison is awesome, the P3DCE is perfect for EDC (to me) except for the holster...hmmm

Holsters: Huntlight doesnt come with one, just the clip (one of the things keeping me from EDC'ing it) and Fenix holsters just downright suck. After a bit of rummaging I came up with the solution. Minimag holster fits the P3DCE quite nicely after it stretxhes a bit (mine started brand new)

Okay, the good stuff. Tint comparison. Sorry, no beamshots. Fenix is a tad bit greener than the Huntlight, which I would describe as "cold white" but not so much as it bothers me. I never worried about "Cree rings" as I use my lights, not stare at a wall with them. While the Fenix has a bit more flood than the Huntlight, I can't honestly say that the Huntlight throws more. I don't have a rangefinder, so it's hard to say. They both hit treetops and light them up nicely, so it doesn't matter much to me (I live in downtown San Jose, no 40 acre fields to shine across here!)

Switches: I like the Huntlight's physical switch better (textured) and the UI is easy to use. The P3DCE, while still easy to navigate modes (turbo = cool) I really really dislike the boot for the switch, it's like...the slimy rubber compound we use at work to make custom fit gaskets....ugh...if anyone knows of a textured (GITD preferably) switch that will fit this light, please contact me...

Not much more I can think of. In summation, they are both damned good lights, and both serve a niche. The P3DCE will be my EDC from now on (until something better comes along! I'm so fickle!) and the Huntlight will remain by my bedside.

Thanks for reading! (actually my first real review, I put a few tidbits of it on CPF, but not as a comparison)

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

[mo]Moved, with a bump.
    :db:
    - bruner[/mo]

3. Rjones

Rjones Empty Pockets

Thanks for the review!
    I've been edc'ing my Huntlight when I go out at night but it's pretty big for edc at times, saw the p3d:ce for cheap so might get one soon!
    Hows the light coverage compared to the Huntlight?

4. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Sorry Bruner, I don't browse the reviews forum much, forgot it was here!

@RJones, not sure what exactly you mean by coverage. The Huntlight has a larger hotspot, but after a quicky comparison in the backyard just now, I realize what folks mean by "Cree ring" The Huntlight definitely has one, while the P3DCE doesnt seem to. I think this makes an illusion of a brighter hotspot, but it isn't necessarily so. If you mean by coverage the amount of area the light covers, it's really about the same, except the Fenix's has more light in a given area than the Huntlight, due to aforementioned "ring"

Again, rings don't bother me. I love my Huntlight. It's just too damned big for EDC :mad:

5. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

No problem at all :)

Dan