1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flashlight recommendation - "Mission Critical" High CRI

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Ironside, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

I need help finding a very specific "mission critical" flashlight:
    Higher CRI
    84 min -100mm max long
    Clicky, not proud, maybe can tail stand
    AA preferred but I will consider CR123
    Max lumen doesn't have to be very high 100-140 is enough
    I like the ability to ramp or infinitely variably adjust the output but the selector system has to be reliable
    It would be nice if the light remembered the last setting so it switches on to that
    Like a low low of 1-2 lumens or less (moonlight low I guess)
    Any tactical stuff like strobe, SOS, beacon has to be hidden or at least not prominent in the primary UI
    $150 or less
    Proven design, very reliable

Any suggestions much appreciated.

2. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

There are a number of "almost" lights. The HDS rotary ones fit the role exactly though. Wait time is the real problem.

I'd probably do a Solarforce L2M with a high cri xml2 or xpg2. You can get a tail stand cap and 4-mode dropins (moonlight, low, med, high). A low amperage build for a single CR123 would give about that output for a nice amount of runtime and decent throw.

You also might get something like a Sunwayman and have it modded with a different LED.

archimedes likes this.
  3. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

I second the HDS Systems Rotary! Program it to meet your needs, or leave it as it's programmed by Henry. Either way it's good to go.

L: Rotary 200 with a Nichia 219 Neutral swap ... R: HCRI Rotary

[​IMG]

Last edited by azpops, Nov 9, 2013
  4. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this guys
    I really like the look of those HDS rotarys...

Question for Blerv: how long is the wait?
    Question for azpops: how do you mod the HDS rotary 200 with the Nichia 219 swap? Do they do it for you?

5. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

I think Oveready (not sure if this was the AD) is the only AD so far who ordered their lights from Henry with Nichia 219's. However, I sent my Rotary 200 (as I do with my mods) to Wayne aka Vinhnguyen to do the emitter swap.

In regards to the wait, they're getting better, But the HCRI's and Rotary's are still a behind the rest. You can follow (more or less) the lead times over at CPF.

Thread titled "When did you order your HDS" (sorry link won't post). Go over to CPF's LED Flashlight sub-forum and you'll find it on page one, as well as the "HDS Systems #16" thread.

Last edited by azpops, Nov 9, 2013
  6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Not sure on the wait either. I admittedly don't have a HDS.

Wayne can mod nearly anything. He just did a bunch of Sunwayman V11r's with different emitters and cranked the amperage too. I would mention Peak but they are only twisty operation with a momentary click as an option.

A single AA with high CRI is going to be hard pressed to hit 100 lumens. With a CR123 that's much easier; closer to the 150. If a three/four-mode clicky would work you could build one on the cheap while waiting for a HDS. I would think $60 or so. (L2M body + XML2 high cri low voltage p60).

Nice thing is once the HDS arrives you could sell the Solarforce or put an extender on and run a 18650. It would be a long running much brighter holster torch :).

moshow9 likes this.
  7. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

Thanks again guys. This is useful information and why I am glad I joined this forum.

The waits for the HDS are soooo long! But I am leaning to the High CRI Rotary.
    In the meantime I was thinking about the V11R anyway and if it can be modded to High CRI by Wayne that would be fantastic.

Azpops what's the process to do the emitter swap?

8. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

Ironside, here's Wayne's email; vinhnguyen54@gmail.com

You'll find when you contact Wayne that he's an easy going, patient guy. Ask him any questions you have, e.g. what you're light you'd like to mod, what you're trying to achieve with this mod. type of battery you'll be using, etc.. He answers his emails promptly.

Good Luck!

Last edited by azpops, Nov 10, 2013
    Blerv and moshow9 like this.
  9. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. moshow9

moshow9 Loaded Pockets

+1

Not only that but his turnaround times are very fast (imo) considering all the projects he's doing for release, like the Sunwayman V11r Blerv mentions. That is also in addition to the lights he receives from others looking for some upgrades. It almost seems like he has more than 24 hours in a day to do what he is able to do for everyone. :D

Blerv likes this.
  11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have had no issues with my vihn modded HDS clicky.

Blerv likes this.
  12. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

He got back to me already. Is putting a Nichia 219 a dumb idea in a SWM V11R? It would cost $55
    I want an HDS rotary highCRI that's the ultimate object (after you guys put me on to this it has to be one of the best EDC lights out there esp for the money) but in the meantime and as a cheaper option I might try a higher CRI version of the V11R but what are emitter options other than the Nichia 219?
    I can get a V11R for $75 and with Nichia mod total is $130.

13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Nichcia makes a 119. I believe Cree makes the XPG2 and XML2 in high cri, they do make the first gen versions in it.

Problem is those offerings are quite warm, like the 7D range. If you like yellow/orange light that's cool, some dislike it. Per watt a high cri XM-L is going to be most efficient per lumens.

Personally I would just wait for a HDS and get something cheap in in the interim (but I've said that already).

azpops likes this.
  14. azpops

azpops Loaded Pockets

I agree with Blerv's recommendation regarding the HDS. You could also check with Herny's AD's. Go to his web site, select his list of Dealers. As well as check in on the HDS threads over at CPF. Some of the guys will post a heads up if any of the AD's received their orders.

That's how I pick up my HCRI Rotary. However you're gonna have to be fast when they show them in-stock!

Blerv likes this.