1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

flashlight/headlight recommendations

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by james.lee, Nov 1, 2015.

1. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

Since i will be getting a large amount of money soon, i can buy a lot of expensive gear (gees i haven't even gotten it yet and my pocket is already burning).

So If anyone has any recommendations for a flashlight or headlight that fits the bellow criteria please post it bellow.

1. Must be under $200
    2. Must be small enough to clip onto a belt or pocket
    3. must have a clip on it
    4. Must have a good grip
    5 Must have multiple settings.
    6. Must be over 300 lumens

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit Loaded Pockets

Zebralight

ManVsLawn, james.lee and ZMZ67 like this.
  3. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

Agree, Zebralight probably has something to fit your needs under $100

ManVsLawn and james.lee like this.
  4. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I think you'd love a Zebralight.

[​IMG]
    Zebralight SC62w
    1. Up to 930 lumens.
    2. As low as .01 lumens.
    3. 3 brightness settings - all of them, easily programmable.
    4. Instant access to any of these modes (including battery check, and strobe/s.o.s./beacon modes), from off, depending on button pushes.
    5. Runs on 1 18650 battery.
    6. PID regulation (lowers output, only as needed, gradually, depending on use. A lot of lights automatically lower the output, to a much lower level, after just a few minutes.
    7. Neutral output (4400K) is not only beautiful, but also color accurate :D.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

IMHO, Zebralight reinvented the headlamp market. Other companies have been trying to catch-up with varying degrees of success.

I'm sure the Galaxy Whatever is a great phone but I just keep going back to the Apple Store. :)

david57strat likes this.
  6. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I wish that these came with a clip on reversible pocket clip but they don't do they, just a screwed on one?

In real world usage, what sort of runtime are you getting, how often are you recharging the battery? If you leave it switched on, what's the lowest light output it would step down to until it shuts off? not the 0.1 lumens one??

david57strat likes this.
  7. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Ever considered a zebralight?

8. david57strat

These are great questions, but I'm not sure how to answer any of them, in a way that will be of much help to you. But I'll try, regardless.

First, I really hate pocket clips on flashlights (at least, for actually clipping to pants. I don't trust them. They're usually not grippy enough for my liking, and I have lost more lights than I care to admit, as a result of the clip not being firmly attached enough to my pocket, to remain in place).

True - the clip on this SC62w is screwed on. I really don't care for it, and I carry this light, in a very small holster, by my iPhone. It didn't come with a holster, so I'm temporarily borrowing that of my Nitcore EA11.

I am still pocket carrying my EagleTac P20C2 MkII, because that clip is extremely solid, with absolutely no chance of the light, coming loose, in my pocket, and because of the cooler, farther projecting beam (a whole different use).

If I was going to pocket carry the SC62w again (tried it; hated it), I would definitely invest in a much nicer, firmer clip, and it would be a worthwhile investment, for those of you considering pocket carrying this one. The light is certainly small enough, and very comfortable, in a pocket.

As for run times, I haven't really given this light the true acid test, to see what kind of complete run times I can get out of it, on high, or at what point it would get to what level, with continuous use.

I generally use this light for only a few moments or minutes at a time. On work nights, it may see an hour or so of use, in total. Even when running it longer, I didn't notice it stepping down in output - but that tends to be a characteristic of the human eye (we don't perceive those gradual changes, for the most part. The eye just adapts accordingly).

I also am in the practice of charging whatever batteries, for whatever devices I used that day, in the evening, when I get home, regardless of whether I used it for hours, or just a few minutes, that day; so I always leave the house (the next day) with fully charged batteries in all my devices (lights, cell phone, tablet, etc.). I believe it's a good practice to get into, and it lengthens the overall duty life of the battery. I rarely let my batteries drop below 3.7 volts, and often find the voltage readings on my flashlight batteries around 4 volts (give or take), when I throw them on the charger that evening; so the top-off charge is a quick one.

When I'm going to be using the light for a long period of time (which does occasionally happen), I'll usually bump it down the the medium setting, to avoid overheating the light. I'm used to doing this with my triple Sportac Nichia 219 (which only has a 25% or 100% modes, and gets extremely hot, after a short while, on high). That's another favorite EDC light of mine.

[​IMG]

I'm using an LG 18650MH1, 3200 mAh protected cell in my sc62w. These are extremely nice, Panasonic-based batteries, that are very reasonably priced, and are supposed to be comparable to Panasonic batteries, from what I've read on Candle Power and Budget Light Forums.

It's not generally a good idea to run a lithium ion battery all the way down until it finally shuts off, at 2.7 volts. That's torture on a battery. I'm not inferring that you are, but just mentioning it, to those lithium ion users who'd like to get the best battery life out of their batteries, in the long term, regardless of the device.

Last edited by david57strat, Nov 9, 2015
    Blerv likes this.
  9. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

Armytek Wizard 18650 headlamp combined with a throwy Armytek Dobermann flashlight. Gets almost all of your bases covered.

10. david57strat

Plus one on the Dobermann XP-L. That's one of my EDC lights :D. Rock solid build. Loosen the head and it'll come back to whatever you want, as the alternate mode (strobe, included!).

[​IMG]
    The Dobermann XP-L is in the middle

[​IMG]

The Armytek matte finish has a great grip factor. Feels super solid, in-hand. Their IPX (IP68) rating is are higher than most other makers, as well.

11. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

The Dobermann probably is the biggest flashlight I can carry in loose jeans, but the throw is really good for the size. I switch between that and my Partner C2 Pro. Smaller head, short light, and has a really nice wide beam for normal EDC work.

david57strat likes this.
  12. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

As others have noted, I don't trust clips, for many of the same reasons as others have mentioned. I'd go with a good belt sheath, honestly, unless we're talking a single cell AA or AAA flashlight.

"Good grip" is pretty subjective - I don't know of too many flashlights that don't get at least passing marks in this regard.

You can use a headlamp as a flashlight, and vice versa, but they tend not to function as well pressed into service as something else. I suggest narrowing down your intended uses and picking a headlamp and a flashlight that fit your needs.

IMWILSON and david57strat like this.
  13. david57strat

I think the headlamp-as-flashlight argument rests very much on the design and output characteristics of the headlamp, itself. Some designs actually lend themselves nicely to double duty (and some headlamps even come with a diffuser cover, for wider coverage); but you're right. a more dedicated light will be more efficient at covering the lighting need, than a general purpose light; although you can always throw a diffuser on a throwy light, to get wide coverage, for up-close work. Some headlamps even have dual emitters, with independent control of each of those emitters, that can be individually dialed in, for the right combination of spot and spill (my Fenix HP25, for example).

I hear what you're saying, insofar as grip. I've found, in many instances, when a light is wet (whether it be in the rain, or whatever), a lot of the glossy-finished lights feel somewhat slippery, in-hand, regardless of texturing/knurling. The Armytek finish almost feels....gritty, so it's a lot less slippery-feeling, to the touch, even in less-than-optimum environmental conditions - especially if you're not wearing gloves. For some, that's a big issue. Probably not so much here in Southern California, where it almost never really rains lol. (I miss the Northwest. I truly envy you guys that live up there. It's absolutely beautiful. I'll take the rain, any day :). )

Anyway, if you're working in wet, or otherwise hostile environments (around chemicals, or whatever), it can be a consideration.

Agreed - the belt holster is my absolute favorite way to carry an EDC light, whether or not it's actually mounted on my belt. Even pack-carrying, or cargo-pocket-carrying my lights, they're always holstered. That way, they have less chance of getting all messed up, banging around, against each other, and getting all chipped unnecessarily, during transit. I also like that the holsters help protect the glass, while not in use, and they often help avoid accidental activation of the light, which reduces the chance of a fire (since not all lights can be mechanically or electronically locked out).

tmedina likes this.
  14. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

thanks guys

tmedina likes this.
  15. david57strat

You're most welcome. Good luck with your search :D

tmedina likes this.
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

From my understanding, frequently topping-off is the most torturous charging practice for Li-ions - this is consistent with Battery University ("how to prolong lithium-based batteries" article) and this Military Study on Li-ion cycling habits. That said, flashlight batts are cheap and easily replaced.

But to an earlier discussion we were having, where you don't have patience to battery MacGyver, I guess I don't have the patience to charge batts frequently. I recharge 16340/14500s after ~30 hours of use, and 16650s ~100 hrs (I'm a low lumen/night vision enthusiast, of course). I'm not concerned about running out power when I can power my lights from any available cell, incl. cannibalizing other Eneloop gadgets I EDC.

So two near opposite flashaholic approaches :).

david57strat likes this.
  17. david57strat

We'll have to agree to disagree, on this one. But your input is always appreciated, regardless :D

reppans likes this.
  18. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I always thought deep discharging was the worst for cells. Maybe that's just for IMR's though as they don't recover as well (?). Maybe it's just old logic from wet cell car batteries, lol.

Most mine are topped via a single USB charger from my laptop. It's slow but something to watch while I do paperwork at the office. Prob the most exciting task of the day. ;)

19. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Thanks for the detailed reply, I have occasionally run a battery right down, not on purpose, the light didn't step down, well not to my knowledge, it just went out. Lol

I did ask Olight about charging their batteries, they said that it doesn't really matter, they have no memory,....I am like you and tend to top them up daily,....to think that there'sonly a volt and a bit before most torches stop working, it would be silly not to?
    Take an AA battery for example, use one third of that 1.5volts and most torches stop working,...how inefficient batteries are.

david57strat likes this.