1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Flash drive

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by bull_paqqy, Jul 5, 2015.

1. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

bull_paqqy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Anyone who carries a flash drive, what do you use to password protect it? I just ordered a Silicon power metal flash drive. It may be PW protected, but are there any good programs that you all use to secure them? Not really worried about encryption. I just don't want someone to be able to access all the data I have on it, in the event I lose my keys. Thanks.
    Mac user, if that makes a difference.

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why not just encrypt it like you would any other drive?
    Simple as long as it is formatted correctly as OSX extended,just right click on drive ad select encrypt and enter password and you would be good to go.

bull_paqqy likes this.
  3. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you EZDog I am fairly new to macs. I did not know you could do this. Problem solved. Thank you.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Glad I could help.

Just make sure you use a Password that you will not forget!

You can also have your machine remember the password so you don't have to enter it on there but every other Mac it is stuck into will ask for it.
    Once setup on your machine the computer will ask if you want it to remember the password and if you say yes you are good to go.

bull_paqqy likes this.
  5. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

as a password manager, look up keepass and find the mac version. It's free.

In the event of an emergency, and general "I don't want to remember a million passwords", keepass if your friend. I've become so lazy...

bull_paqqy likes this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I prefer VeraCrypt to keep a protected part on my carry-around-memory as its pretty much platform independent. Apple's proprietary encryption doesn't play well with any other OS whereas VeraCrypt is fully supported on OSX/Microsoft/Linux and Android/iOS by 3rd party apps.

jag-engr, bull_paqqy and Dorian like this.
  7. bull_paqqy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

I checked it out. It seems like a good program. I like the multi platform support. But I have already formatted my flash drive with macs encryption. One nice thing about it. Is if I lose my FD, and someone puts it in a Win machine, it won't show up. At least it didn't when I tried to look at it on my boot camp partition.

8. zlindee

zlindee Loaded Pockets

Careful with formatting it as OSX Extended. You might run into trouble accessing it on a Windows computer. For EDC, I'd want my drive accessible on any computer.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Lorenzo, mole and bull_paqqy like this.
  9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I need to look into this! I have been meaning to do something about securing data for my keychain flash drive, but I really don't know a lot about encryption.

10. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Oh its not difficult unless you want to be Mr. Bond and need multiple layers of security. For your basic protection stuff with a password just follow the guide on the VeraCrypt website, its got pictures and everything and it explains some basics along the way.

Just keep in mind that you can never protect data against destruction (keep multiple backups of important stuff) and that no encryption is 100% guaranteed tamper proof (tho you can make it pretty darn difficult on people who want your data). But for regular stuff something like veracrypt is just plain awesome!

jag-engr likes this.
  11. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

The easiest way is to spend the money and buy an iron key or a drive that includes encryption software. For most people whatever comes on the drive is fine. Iron key is a good turn key solution if you are less technically inclined and want something that just works.

mole likes this.
  12. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

Check out Apricorn drives. Flash drives with hardware-implemented encryption that actually have a tiny keypad for entering the password.
    :censored: costly, sure, but meant to work with any system.

bull_paqqy likes this.
  13. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

Gonna take a look at VeraCrypt. Own a MacBook, but at work we have Windows.